Forums
Posted By: Erainn Roads Of Wirral Pre-M53 - 21st Sep 2013 10:59pm
Can anyone offer any maps or suggest links that would detail Wirral roads, before the M53? Thanks in hope, Erainn
Posted By: inflatablebone Re: Roads Of Wirral Pre-M53 - 22nd Sep 2013 7:40am
this is quite useful

http://maps.cheshire.gov.uk/tithemaps/

you can search on the area you want and it gives ariel views and matches old maps to new
Posted By: Erainn Re: Roads Of Wirral Pre-M53 - 22nd Sep 2013 8:21am
inflatablebone thank you very much, that's a great help smile
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Roads Of Wirral Pre-M53 - 22nd Sep 2013 8:41am
Maybe a bit too early for what you want

map
Posted By: Erainn Re: Roads Of Wirral Pre-M53 - 22nd Sep 2013 8:50am
Derek, it does offer really helpful info, and I can make good use of it, do you know of any maps that maybe of a later date? Erainn
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Roads Of Wirral Pre-M53 - 22nd Sep 2013 9:01am
Try the Cheshire maps for the period you want.
Move the coordinates by changing a number (change last 3 or 4 numbers on the end if it is 100 make it 200 or 300) to move up or down or left to right etc

click
Posted By: Erainn Re: Roads Of Wirral Pre-M53 - 22nd Sep 2013 9:13am
Derek, cheers for that smile Erainn
Posted By: clayman22 Re: Roads Of Wirral Pre-M53 - 22nd Sep 2013 9:32am
Originally Posted by derekdwc
Maybe a bit too early for what you want

map

Thanks from me too Derek. I've been looking for something like this for a while.
Posted By: chriskay Re: Roads Of Wirral Pre-M53 - 22nd Sep 2013 11:30am
This one's useful. Unfortunately, despite the fact that it's entitled "Wirral", it only covers down to Parkgate/Hooton.

Attached picture 2013-09-22 12-25-25_0009.jpg
Posted By: Erainn Re: Roads Of Wirral Pre-M53 - 22nd Sep 2013 11:48am
Great suggestion Chris, many thanks, Erainn
Posted By: Snodvan Re: Roads Of Wirral Pre-M53 - 23rd Sep 2013 7:26pm
I have a Geographia "Cyclists and Ramblers" map of Wirral at 1.5 inches to the mile. Date is around 1950 at a guess. The map covers Wirral, Liverpool from Kirkdale to Speke and North Wales covering Bagilt, Mold and to Eccleston south of Chester.

I have an A3 scanner and that will cope with the Wirral part. However, it is a pain in the posterior to set up the A3 scanner. I can maybe do Wirral in two parts using the A4 scanner.

Are you looking for any particular areas of WIrral??

However, I am shortly "off to the USA" and have so many other things to do that such scans will need to be delayed until I return 2nd week in October. REMIND ME THEN

Cheers Snod
Posted By: Erainn Re: Roads Of Wirral Pre-M53 - 24th Sep 2013 7:58am
Hi Snod, that is very kind and thoughtful, greatly appreciate your generous offer...however, there's no need to inconvenience yourself. If at some future date you have time then a copy of Wirral map would be great. As I say though not worthy of any hassle smile Erainn
Posted By: Snodvan Re: Roads Of Wirral Pre-M53 - 24th Sep 2013 9:27am
Erainn
I have done a quick scan on an A4 scanner. The files are loaded onto my Google Drive so if you PM me an Email address I can link you to them. The individual files are each a couple of MB so detail is good.

There are half a dozen files covering the Wirral and a bit beyond. Clever people (like Mark) can patch together such individual files so that all the maps align on one file. Beyond me to do that.

Cheers Snod
Posted By: Snodvan Re: Roads Of Wirral Pre-M53 - 24th Sep 2013 10:04am
I am not sure whether this will work - but the Google Drive link to the maps is (I think)

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B5luOCc3gfEuTVR3RmpHeTVnbkU&usp=sharing

Being a duffer at such things this may not work.
The alternative is to just wait until some kind soul re-complies all the individual files back into one

Cheers Snod
Posted By: bigpete Re: Roads Of Wirral Pre-M53 - 24th Sep 2013 12:57pm
Interestingly the M53 is one of the few motorways that didn't follow or 'upgrade' an existing road, like the A1/M1, A6/M6, A56/M56 etc. - there was no road running down the centre of Wirral in the same orientation as the M53.....
Posted By: Erainn Re: Roads Of Wirral Pre-M53 - 24th Sep 2013 3:07pm
That's right, it just carved through the land, including former childhood haunts like the 'Flat Lanes' and 'Seven Sisters' a great source for newts and sticklebacks. M53 kicked that into touch
Posted By: mikeeb Re: Roads Of Wirral Pre-M53 - 14th Oct 2013 5:23pm
some great maps there
Posted By: KeithS Re: Roads Of Wirral Pre-M53 - 2nd Nov 2013 9:56pm
I remember being told that there was a plan to build a new road up the middle of the Wirral after the war. There used to be a (normal-sized)roundabout on Woodchurch Road where the M53 interchange is now that I was told was part of this plan. The roundabout had no other exits than on Woodchurch Road.
The Old Maps site shows it on 1954 six inch - 1 mile and 1955 25"-1 mile maps.
I was also told that a girder bridge over the Welsh Road at Sealand was also part of this plan.
Posted By: Softy_Southerner Re: Roads Of Wirral Pre-M53 - 2nd Nov 2013 10:59pm
Originally Posted by bigpete
Interestingly the M53 is one of the few motorways that didn't follow or 'upgrade' an existing road, like the A1/M1, A6/M6, A56/M56 etc. - there was no road running down the centre of Wirral in the same orientation as the M53.....

It doesn't even follow the track of the A53 which runs to the east of M6 - nowhere near M53.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral