Forums
Posted By: derekdwc Hamilton Square - 3rd Aug 2013 6:39pm
As these were getting built, did Laird sell them off or rented them out.
In 1843 Mortimer & Harwood street directory the highest number appears to be 38

Was lairds house number 63 the last house built or the 1st
Would the number of chimneys be for that many rooms in the building as the 3 sides (not including the Town Hall side) havw a middle house with 21 chimneys as against the rest having 13 or 14 and also 4 windows between the front doors while the rest only have 2 windows.

Numbering today from the station side then anti clockwise
1 to 18
19 to 34
35 to 50
55 to 57 then town hall then 58 to 63

Description: chimneys
Attached picture Hamilton Square 51 to 57 chimneys  [1600x1200].JPG

Description: windows
Attached picture Hamilton Square 19 to 18.windows between doors [1600x1200].JPG

Description: 1950s map
Attached picture Hamilton Square 1950s map.jpg
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Hamilton Square - 3rd Aug 2013 6:50pm
The 1950s map shows number 51 as where Barclays Bank is (noticed it was closed up (possibly refurbishing it or closed for good)
No 51 now in Duncan St
No 57 is in Brandon st

I've noticed between 1843 and 1857 most of Hamilton Square had different occupants

Description: 51 in Duncan St
Attached picture Hamilton Square 51 to 57  51 and 52 Duncan St [1600x1200].JPG

Description: sign in Duncan st
Attached picture Hamilton Square 51 to 57  51 and 52 Duncan St sign [1600x1200].JPG
Posted By: smiler123 Re: Hamilton Square - 4th Aug 2013 8:38pm
http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&ved=0CD4QFjAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.wirral.gov.uk%2Fdownloads%2F2318&ei=iLb-UfOdEsm2hAegoIHgCw&usg=AFQjCNF8bF6DAqi8XB7IB697T8UgRIxSKA&bvm=bv.50165853,d.ZG4

Found this quite interesting, nothing on the chimneys though, used to work in 60/61/62 there was a rumour that Livingstone rented the front rooms of 62 whilst he was in Birkenhead.
Posted By: dool4lit4tle Re: Hamilton Square - 5th Aug 2013 9:39am
wher did the stone come from to build hamilton square houses
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Hamilton Square - 5th Aug 2013 10:21am
Town Hall stone from Storeton Quarries though built later than the houses.Possibly Tranmere Quarry (in what is Old Chester Road now)
I think Laird used stone from Flaybrick Quarry when he started at Wallasey Pool
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Hamilton Square - 5th Aug 2013 10:33am
Storeton Quarry stone was used in the building of the Empire State building in America

Posted By: bigpete Re: Hamilton Square - 5th Aug 2013 2:27pm
Originally Posted by derekdwc
Town Hall stone from Storeton Quarries though built later than the houses.Possibly Tranmere Quarry (in what is Old Chester Road now)
I think Laird used stone from Flaybrick Quarry when he started at Wallasey Pool

Most of the stone from Flaybrick was used for Dock walls....
Posted By: nuddy Re: Hamilton Square - 5th Aug 2013 8:36pm
Storeton Quarry stone was used in the building of the Empire State building in America

Ive heard that said before, but I could never find proof it was true any where. I know its off topic, but have you got any links?(besides Wikipedia)
Posted By: Gibbo Re: Hamilton Square - 7th Aug 2013 1:46pm
I find it interesting that the Italian Consulate is just off there!
Posted By: chriskay Re: Hamilton Square - 7th Aug 2013 6:14pm
Originally Posted by nuddy

Ive heard that said before, but I could never find proof it was true any where. I know its off topic, but have you got any links?(besides Wikipedia)

I think the story may be apocryphal. The Empire State Building was built in 1929, by which time the main quarries had been abandoned, and were soon to be filled with the waste from the Queensway tunnel. The South quarry, on the river side of Mount Rd. was still in intermittent operation, but the Storeton tramway had been dismantled so any movement of stone would have been by road.
The best clue I have is the book "The Storeton Tramway", by R,C,Jermy. In it, he says that Storeton Stone was used for: Birkenhead docks, Hamilton Square, Sankey Viaduct, the original Liverpool Philharmonic Hall, a house in Ireland and one in Essex. If it had been used in the Empire State Building I think Mr.Jermy would have known and mentioned it.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral