Forums
Posted By: simonc Hello and a request - 25th Jul 2013 7:11pm
Hi,

Glad to have found this place - nice to know that people care enough about the area to run and subscribe to such a site.

The primary reason I'm here - despite not being either a past or present inhabitant in the area - is that I'm trying to trace my wife's paternal family tree. It's leading me to some interesting places, some unforeseen.

Apparently, my wife's dad, grandfather and great grandfather were all called Anthony Lewis, and lived in or around Seacombe/Wallasey (her dad's now in Lowton), and it's this part of the family that I'm trying to trace back, having got as far as George Lewis, but in name only (shown as deceased on his son's wedding certificate).

It's there that I could do with a bit of help, if anyone would be so kind: there's a heavy hint in the family that the male side actually came from Greece (Athenians, of course!), and that 'Lewis' is some sort of Anglicisation of a Greek surname.

Obviously, I'm doing my best to pick my way through all of this, but if the collective memory of the family is correct, 3 Greek brothers sailed to Liverpool, probably in the late 19th century, I would guess as part of the usual Greek diaspora, 2 went back and one - my wife's distant male rellie - stayed. He apparently changed his name to fit in, but we're no closer figuring out the truth of all this.

If anyone can help at all, I would be immensely grateful.

Cheers,
Si
Posted By: Helles Re: Hello and a request - 19th Aug 2013 9:15pm
Bit late I know but haven't been around. That's a tough one but have you tried the Cheshire board on roots chat? Some clever helpful people on there that might be able to steer you in the right direction?

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php
© Wirral-Wikiwirral