Forums
Posted By: OxtonHill Place name in Woodchurch Help - 20th Jun 2013 7:59am
From a baptism entry in 1815 at Holy Cross, Church, Woodchurch, I have the following:
"Richard son of Richard Sherlock late of high ........ in the parish of Woodchurch deceased, by Hannah his wife, born ..5 March bap.Oct 15th"
Anyone know what comes after high, to me it looks like the same H as in Hannah, but I'm struggling to find this place in the parish of Woodchurch?

Attached picture sherlock.jpg
Posted By: Santos Re: Place name in Woodchurch Help - 20th Jun 2013 8:11am
Looks like Warren to me.
Posted By: OxtonHill Re: Place name in Woodchurch Help - 20th Jun 2013 8:27am
Hi Santos

I thought that, but & I don't know how big you can see the scan but the H in Hannah is the same as in the 1st letter of the name? Was there a High Warren in Woodchurch (I know Warren Nurseries)
Posted By: bert1 Re: Place name in Woodchurch Help - 20th Jun 2013 8:33am
Hanow or Harrow,

Favour Hanow, could be the name of a property.
Posted By: Gold_Moon Re: Place name in Woodchurch Help - 20th Jun 2013 3:25pm
It looks like Hanow to me too, although I haven't a clue what the word means. Let us know if you find out!

Update: Just Googled "Hanow" and it means "name" in Cornish!
Posted By: yoller Re: Place name in Woodchurch Help - 20th Jun 2013 5:38pm
I think the word is Harrow. Could it be a corruption of Arrowe, referring to the area that later became Arrowe Park?
Posted By: rover644 Re: Place name in Woodchurch Help - 20th Jun 2013 7:35pm
I originally thought Hanow but the a and r in richard look very much like the second two letters in the mystery name. Harrow for me .
Posted By: valli Re: Place name in Woodchurch Help - 20th Jun 2013 10:02pm
Warren nurseries used to be council run this was situated at Thingwall corner leading onto ARROWE PARK .There is a Highgreen rd on The Woodchurch off Houghton rd
Posted By: ZipperClub Re: Place name in Woodchurch Help - 20th Jun 2013 10:25pm
The "d" in Woodchurch does not seem match the "d" in deceased or Richard. Could it be something else?
Posted By: bert1 Re: Place name in Woodchurch Help - 21st Jun 2013 5:10am
There's no doubting the wife's name is Hannah, the first 3 letters in Hannah and the mystery word are the same, me thinks.

Attached picture 1.JPG
Attached picture 2.JPG
Posted By: OxtonHill Re: Place name in Woodchurch Help - 21st Jun 2013 7:16am
Thanks for all the replies thumbsup

I have been going through the Cheshire Tithe maps for the surrounding area, but no luck. I might go through the register a bit to see if I can find a more clear example of it.
Will let you know.
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Place name in Woodchurch Help - 21st Jun 2013 9:47am
maps

Attached picture Arrow house.jpg
Attached picture arrow 1819.jpg
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Place name in Woodchurch Help - 21st Jun 2013 10:10am
In the early 18th century the village of Arrowe along with its neighbours Prenton, Pensby, Oxton,
Noctorum, Barnston and Thingwall all fell under the Parish of Woodchurch. None of the surrounding
villages had a church at this time which meant that all of these local communities had to use the facilities
at Woodchurch.
Posted By: OxtonHill Re: Place name in Woodchurch Help - 21st Jun 2013 11:37am
Thank you Deredwc.

The fist map shows Limbo Lane where another branch of the Sherlock family once lived, if you take the footpath down it you can still make out the entrance to their smallholding.

Posted By: CVCVCV Re: Place name in Woodchurch Help - 21st Jun 2013 5:51pm
FWIW, I think it says "Harrow".
Both r's are the same as the one in 'Sherlock'.
Posted By: yoller Re: Place name in Woodchurch Help - 22nd Jun 2013 8:41am
On the bottom of the first map, near Landican, there is a place called Arrow Top. Could high Harrow be another name for this?
Posted By: chriskay Re: Place name in Woodchurch Help - 22nd Jun 2013 12:11pm
There's something bothering me about the name, which is that "high Harrow" has a lower case 'h' in 'high'. In naming a place, it would be correct to use an upper case 'H'.

On a separate theme: the 1831 map shows the Upton road before the Ford loop was built. The road took the direct line through what is now the Thermopylae; really steep.

Attached picture 1831 map.jpg
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Place name in Woodchurch Help - 23rd Jun 2013 10:37am
Slightly off topic
Noticed the husband as deceased .
Could she have moved in with the relatives?
As there is a Lower Arrowe House could the Arrowe House (which I believe may have been a farm about where Champion Sparks was)have been known as the high one locally?

Posted By: OxtonHill Re: Place name in Woodchurch Help - 23rd Jun 2013 11:19am
I'm not sure she did, a couple of years later she was back in her parish of Thurstaston having another child.
Posted By: granny Re: Place name in Woodchurch Help - 23rd Jun 2013 11:33am
Originally Posted by derekdwc
As there is a Lower Arrowe House could the Arrowe House (which I believe may have been a farm about where Champion Sparks was)have been known as the high one locally?

My thoughts too. I would think it is the name of a residence, rather than a place name in the area. They were a well established family there and would no doubt have been in a 'comfortable' position at the time.
Posted By: bert1 Re: Place name in Woodchurch Help - 23rd Jun 2013 11:43am
Arrowe House farm was bought in 1807 by ship owner John Shaw, Richard Sherlock may have rented it off him, I wouldn't know, but it was called Arrowe House Farm, not Harrow.
Posted By: granny Re: Place name in Woodchurch Help - 23rd Jun 2013 1:16pm
Could your Richard ,the one deceased, be the one who died in 1797?......

SHERLOCK, Richard, Small Farmer Of Grea, Born , Died Jul 14 1797 in Woodchurch, Oxton, Cheshire, England

http://www.tribalpages.com/tribe/familytree?uid=regsherlock&surname=SHERLOCK

Might be more accurate for location..!
Posted By: yoller Re: Place name in Woodchurch Help - 23rd Jun 2013 1:56pm
Originally Posted by chriskay
There's something bothering me about the name, which is that "high Harrow" has a lower case 'h' in 'high'. In naming a place, it would be correct to use an upper case 'H'.

On a separate theme: the 1831 map shows the Upton road before the Ford loop was built. The road took the direct line through what is now the Thermopylae; really steep.

Chris has got a good point about high being lower case. Logically, it should be upper case if it is part of a place name, whether that place is part of the district or just a private dwelling.

This is a long shot, but I wonder if the mystery word is not a place name at all? Could it be something like 'late of high regard in the parish of Woodchurch' ? I know it's not 'regard', but perhaps some similar archaic expression.

I realise this is grasping at straws, but it might lead somewhere.
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Place name in Woodchurch Help - 23rd Jun 2013 2:31pm
Since you mentioned Thurstaston, I came across these CLICK

Attached picture SHERLOCK 1812.jpg
Attached picture IGI SHERLOCK.jpg
Posted By: OxtonHill Re: Place name in Woodchurch Help - 23rd Jun 2013 5:48pm
Originally Posted by granny
Originally Posted by derekdwc

My thoughts too. I would think it is the name of a residence, rather than a place name in the area. They were a well established family there and would no doubt have been in a 'comfortable' position at the time.

They would not have been comfortable, with Hannah's husband dead she became a servant, and had a further base born child.

Originally Posted by granny
Could your Richard ,the one deceased, be the one who died in 1797?......

SHERLOCK, Richard, Small Farmer Of Grea, Born , Died Jul 14 1797 in Woodchurch, Oxton, Cheshire, England

No not the same Richard, different family alltogether.

I went to Frankby Church today to take a picture of Hannah's son's headstone.
Thank you all for the interest everyones shown its been interesting reading.

© Wirral-Wikiwirral