Forums
Posted By: TRANCENTRAL Thornton Hough - 6th Jun 2013 10:16pm
Wile walking 7 miles + came across this would like to know if anyone has any info/history on this?

Thanks T.C.

Attached picture walking 097 (Copy).JPG
Attached picture walking 098 (Copy).JPG
Posted By: rocks Re: Thornton Hough - 6th Jun 2013 10:27pm
and if anyone knows what the writing says
Posted By: Capt_America Re: Thornton Hough - 7th Jun 2013 4:10pm
Yeah, can't make out the writing either.
Posted By: granny Re: Thornton Hough - 7th Jun 2013 11:08pm
Can't see anything on the first picture, but on the second picture, it looks like the word 'REST'.
My eyes are rubbish at the moment, so that may be wrong. It's better make your own judgement.
Posted By: granny Re: Thornton Hough - 7th Jun 2013 11:56pm
Why would the centre stone be a different colour, as if it denotes something?
Could it be roadside shrine?
Posted By: rocks Re: Thornton Hough - 8th Jun 2013 8:36am
after showng my mother she thinks it was a stop off for travellers to drink water and they often used to have slogans on them like "rest then go" which would fit in, i wonder how old it is
Posted By: paul110180 Re: Thornton Hough - 8th Jun 2013 9:19am
Don't hole me to it but I think its a rest stop for horses to drink ...
Posted By: granny Re: Thornton Hough - 8th Jun 2013 10:56am
As we don't really know how big/small this is, it's difficult to say. From appearance,I originally thought of a drinking vessel for dogs, but thought a horse would need a rather larger amount, plus it does not seem to be an ideal position for a horse to get it's head and neck into.
Posted By: rocks Re: Thornton Hough - 8th Jun 2013 11:08am
Originally Posted by paul110180
Don't hole me to it but I think its a rest stop for horses to drink ...

that was my first thought when i seen it, maybe it used to have a trough.

new pic on way so you get the scale granny
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Thornton Hough - 8th Jun 2013 11:11am
You're right Granny. A horse trough would be much bigger and it would be right alongside the kerb, so Dobbin could slurp away without leaving the road. I can remember the big granite (?) horse trough at the top of Singleton Ave. outside the Manweb sub-station. It got the chop in the early 1960's I think.

Someone from a local history society may throw some light on the Thornton Hough picture?
Posted By: rocks Re: Thornton Hough - 8th Jun 2013 11:11am

Attached picture thornton hough 116 (Copy).JPG
Posted By: chriskay Re: Thornton Hough - 8th Jun 2013 1:50pm
Re. horse troughs. There used to be a fine granite one in Craven Arms, engraved with the words "Be kind and merciful to all animals"... It had been filled with concrete. frown
Posted By: granny Re: Thornton Hough - 8th Jun 2013 4:04pm
Rocks, that picture shows it to be larger than I imagined. Even so, if it was a 'travellers rest' would it not have somewhere for a small seat,bench or stone slab for folk to sit on? Not very deep for that. It also looks as if anyone having a drink from it, should it be a water hole, would have had to bend double to get to it. The other thing is,after seeing the arched perimeter wall it would appear to have been built into the wall originally.
Pinz, it is a shame all those bits of history were taken away. They do give us a reminder of our heritage, and all we seem to enjoy most is, e.g. a trip to a museum, heritage centre or a quaint little village, when we get the chance. Trying to get the flavour back of what we must still have a yearning for. Maybe the quiet,rural life.
Posted By: rocks Re: Thornton Hough - 8th Jun 2013 4:37pm
granny at first i thought it was some kind of bus stop but then i pretended to sit as if a bench was there and i would have banged my head and also realised it wouldnt give much shelter as its not deep enough, it looks like it was built the same time as the wall and there are also dates and names etched on the inner sides (graffiti of it day) iv also tried to look for history sites for the area but the walls not mentioned anywhere!!
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Thornton Hough - 8th Jun 2013 5:08pm
I thought a bench too Rocks. Remember people were smaller generations ago.
Posted By: granny Re: Thornton Hough - 8th Jun 2013 5:20pm
Where abouts in Thornton Hough, is it Thornton Grange? There used to be a monastic settlement there attached to Raby. Could it have been an old fireplace on the remains of the monastry wall, and saved for posterity? Someone, would have done the inscriptions much later.
Just a thought, but I could be getting carried away.

They weren't that tiny Rude! smile
Posted By: granny Re: Thornton Hough - 8th Jun 2013 7:13pm
Similar.... probably larger
First picture Llantony Abbey, fireplace from monastic ruin.

Second picture look on the right. Don't know what they are tho'.

Attached picture 175649903_faa0cb4bc7_m.jpg
Attached picture kerry-ballylongford-p08-04115.jpg
Posted By: yoller Re: Thornton Hough - 8th Jun 2013 7:33pm
Could it be one of these ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bee_bole
Posted By: rocks Re: Thornton Hough - 8th Jun 2013 7:52pm
hmm but why bother to make the arch sticking up on the wall when they could have made it straight? and do bee walls have writing on them? interesting clicky tho
Posted By: TRANCENTRAL Re: Thornton Hough - 8th Jun 2013 8:01pm
Originally Posted by granny
Where abouts in Thornton Hough, is it Thornton Grange? There used to be a monastic settlement there attached to Raby. Could it have been an old fireplace on the remains of the monastry wall, and saved for posterity? Someone, would have done the inscriptions much later.
Just a thought, but I could be getting carried away.

They weren't that tiny Rude! smile

its on Manor Rd http://goo.gl/maps/8nGGE around here
Posted By: fish5133 Re: Thornton Hough - 8th Jun 2013 11:57pm
possibly a place to stand milk churns for collection or drop off. Or looks like it might have once been an arched entrance gate and has been lowered and blocked off.
The property its on might give a clue (churchyard?)
Posted By: granny Re: Thornton Hough - 9th Jun 2013 12:29am

Yes, I know where you mean TC, but it's not Thornton Grange as we now know it. That's the other end.
It's positioned just about where Thornton Hough Village begins,and probably on the route that most visitors would enter the village from, which is also interesting. Common sense would tell us that it is a watering hole for travellers but unless it's been altered, there is no grid or such, for the excess water to flow.
The bee bole looks really interesting and I had never heard of them before.
One other thought with it being at the beginning of the village. As the wall belongs to the Manor, could it have been used to display a sign or floral arrangemnts in troughs as a visual welcome to visitors. I think I have seen those somewhere before, but not sure if it was in UK or abroad.

The sandstone block in the centre, may have filled something in later e.g a tap, for whatever purpose.
Posted By: rocks Re: Thornton Hough - 9th Jun 2013 8:38am
the centre stone cant have fill something in at a later date as the writing is across all the stones
Posted By: granny Re: Thornton Hough - 9th Jun 2013 9:54am
Well Rocks, I'm baffled. It looks so simple to identify on first encounter, then all ideas seem to slide into the swamp. Maybe if it was possible to find out when that stretch of the Manor wall was likely to have been built, it may help. Are there any stonemasons out there?

What did all the writing say?

http://www.hidden-teesside.co.uk/2013/01/04/lealholm-1904-drinking-fountain/

Is this any help
Posted By: rocks Re: Thornton Hough - 9th Jun 2013 12:01pm
my mistake on having a look at my pics it looks like the writing may just be on the centre stone (but its hard to tell) and to me it looks like it says REST THAN ON ?????? i can see me going back for another look and taking paper and crayons to do a rub haha
Posted By: yoller Re: Thornton Hough - 11th Jun 2013 8:10am
I stopped and had a look at this while passing through Thornton Hough yesterday and I'm afraid I can't add anything to what's already been said. I would say that the main carved word is almost certainly 'Rest', but couldn't make out the words below. I think the explanation that Rocks got from his mother of 'Rest and go' may well be correct, but it's hard to see exactly how the alcove was used. I did take some pictures, but they are no better than those already posted. Like everyone else, I'd love to know the answer to this one.
Posted By: Mark Re: Thornton Hough - 11th Jun 2013 8:38am
Played with the image to see if i could work out the lettering and this is the best i came up with after playing.

Description: BPSI
Attached picture bpsi.jpg
Posted By: rocks Re: Thornton Hough - 12th Jun 2013 6:53am
we're going back today to have another look, im also going to try the old paper and crayon technique to see if it reveals more info on the writing and i may ask the locals if i see any
Posted By: Tatey Re: Thornton Hough - 12th Jun 2013 7:09am
The local Post Office may be a good place to ask, failing that, try asking The Wirral Society. www.wirralsociety.f9.co.uk
Posted By: rocks Re: Thornton Hough - 12th Jun 2013 8:34am
good idea Tatey smile
Posted By: yoller Re: Thornton Hough - 12th Jun 2013 2:38pm
Let's hope you get some further information, Rocks. I think the bee bole idea, which I suggested earlier, is probably a non-starter. The International Bee Research Association has a website listing bee boles and I can't find one for Thornton Hough.

Comparing it with pictures of other bee boles, the Thornton Hough wall alcove doesn't look deep enough to have been one and is in the wrong place - most of them are on private, enclosed, premises.

Just one other thought. Could it have been some sort of roadside shrine, like you sometimes see in Ireland and on the Continent?
Posted By: rocks Re: Thornton Hough - 12th Jun 2013 4:03pm
just got back and i have no new info. my crayon rubbing didnt work as the walls not flat enough, the first word is defo rest and there is an old sign in the village that has a saying Rest in Thornton Hough so it could be the village motto maybe? and we didnt get a chance to go into the post office either but i have the names of all the houses behind the wall so i may find some info by taking that direction. thanks yoller for looking into the bee idea at least we can take that off the list, a shrine is also another possibility.....right time to google smile
Posted By: Moonstar Re: Thornton Hough - 12th Jun 2013 6:21pm
There is a Rest Hill Road in Thornton Hough.

http://www.allertonoak.com/merseyWalks/StoretonThorntonX.html

If the wall aperture you have found is at the top or bottom of a hill it may well have contained a trough of water for the horses pulling wagons.
Posted By: Moonstar Re: Thornton Hough - 12th Jun 2013 6:47pm
I am not up to speed on what is in or not on the History Forum but found this site which has a lot of interesting information on the whole of Wirral.

http://www.oldwirral.com/thorntonhough.html
Posted By: granny Re: Thornton Hough - 12th Jun 2013 7:45pm
Originally Posted by rocks
my mistake on having a look at my pics it looks like the writing may just be on the centre stone (but its hard to tell) and to me it looks like it says REST THAN ON ?????? i can see me going back for another look and taking paper and crayons to do a rub haha

Could it be REST THEM ON..??

Intersting info Moonstar. When are you doing the walk?
Posted By: rocks Re: Thornton Hough - 12th Jun 2013 8:52pm
right iv come the conclusion that the word REST is smack bang centre in the stone and the word/words underneath are not in the same style as the word REST so they could also be just graffiti like on the sides stones, so back to the question, for people or animals?
Posted By: chriskay Re: Thornton Hough - 12th Jun 2013 9:54pm
Originally Posted by Moonstar
There is a Rest Hill Road in Thornton Hough.

http://www.allertonoak.com/merseyWalks/StoretonThorntonX.html

If the wall aperture you have found is at the top or bottom of a hill it may well have contained a trough of water for the horses pulling wagons.

Rest Hill Rd. is actually in Storeton/Higher Bebington and the the aperture isn't near a hill. Good thought though.
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Thornton Hough - 12th Jun 2013 10:37pm
What does it look like on the other side - does it look like it's a continuation of the wall or stands out from it
Posted By: TRANCENTRAL Re: Thornton Hough - 12th Jun 2013 10:42pm
Originally Posted by derekdwc
What does it look like on the other side - does it look like it's a continuation of the wall or stands out from it
well derek its a mound of raised earth on the otherside smile
Posted By: Moonstar Re: Thornton Hough - 13th Jun 2013 4:27pm
Walk Granny! My going for walks days are over. :-)
Posted By: granny Re: Thornton Hough - 13th Jun 2013 5:35pm
Originally Posted by Moonstar
Walk Granny! My going for walks days are over. :-)

smile

N.B I didn't offer to come with you!

@ TC: Burial mound then?
Posted By: chriskay Re: Thornton Hough - 13th Jun 2013 8:06pm
Originally Posted by granny

@ TC: Burial mound then?

No, a big mole.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral