Forums
Hi

Just wondered if someone could identify the location of this photo for me please.
The original photo is a little clearer and the bus says Ellesmere Port via Whitby 1. (assume Whitby road)
I am assuming that's not Whitby North East coast as that would be some journey in that bus ;-)

There is a fairly large church steeple in the background which I thought I might be able to identify on google maps but haven't managed that yet.

Its certainly and interesting spot it was taken from as it seems to be in the middle of the road and certainly higher than a say the top of a double decker.

any suggestions please.

thanks again

Attached picture IMG_4594.JPG
It could be where the port arcades are now but couldnt really say just an idea
Looks like Chester, Northgate St looking south, taken from the City Walls, by the canal.

The church spire is actually the top of the town hall building, adjacent to the market and carriageworks building. The bus terminus for most Crosville services was in the square outside the Town Hall and Cathedral.

The building on the right (by the nearest bus) is the Blue Bell restaurant these days. By the back of the second double-decker can be seen the pub sign for the Lion's Head, which is still there today.

Not all the buildings in Chester are as old as they look. Quite a few in this picture have been rebuilt in the past 50-60 years since this picture was taken.

Crosville route 1 was Birkenhead (Woodside) to Chester. This was later re-numbered to C1 for Chester direct, and C3 for Chester via Ellesmere Port / Whitby. They changed from numbers to letters and numbers somewhere around 1959 to 1962 if memory serves me correct (and without looking it up.)

I think Chester City Transport also used route 1 for Ellesmere Port via Whitby, but in any case, the bus in front is a Crosville. It's one of the few Leyland types that they had delivered, due to post-war shortages.

Good find. Nice photo.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: where is this photo taken? Ellesmere Port / Whitby - 25th Jan 2013 6:34pm
If it wasn't for the spire on the church/catherdral, it could be Foregate St. Chester. The photo being taken from the City Walls where it passes over the street. About the right elevation ??

The livery on the buses in the background are different from the Crosville (?) in the forground. Chester City Corp. were maroon with cream banding.

Just my 2d's worth.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: where is this photo taken? Ellesmere Port / Whitby - 25th Jan 2013 6:35pm
Beat me to it Norton! I type too slowly !
Could be Brook Street in Chester. That leads over the bridge by the station & onto Hoole Road

Bob.
thanks again guys,

The explanation that its the city walls crossing the road helps explain the camera angle.
Its only a small 3.5x2.5 inches print but worth keeping.
I'll see what else i find over the weekend.
Norton's right, it's North Gate Street taken from the walls above the road. The half timbered building on the right with the 3 small gables is still a restaurant on Google Earth called "Chez Jules". It's half timbered but the date sign on it says "1911".
Originally Posted by Norton
The bus terminus for most Crosville services was in the square outside the Town Hall and Cathedral.

When was that? As I remember it, in the 1940's/50/s they all seemed to terminate in Frodsham St.
It's Northgate Chester , the Bull inn or whatever name it is, is behind the bus.
Yup its Northgate Street ,Chester, the cathedral is in the backgoround smile
Originally Posted by ASE71
Yup its Northgate Street ,Chester, the cathedral is in the backgoround smile

Nope, you can't see the cathedral, it's out of view, set back on the left at the end of the street. The tall building is the Town Hall.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral