Forums
Posted By: JessandAnn Allens Cottages, Brighton Street - 1st Jan 2013 11:20am
Hi Does anyone have any info about these cottages? The 1871 census has them and they seem to be at the top endo f Tobins Street, but actually on Brighton Street. Following the order the census was taken they were oposite the junction with Church Street. But this particular enumerator had wrongly listed properties numerically rather than by address! So I may be wrong. I have not yet come across these cottages and wondered if any good folk out there could shed any light on them? smile
Posted By: chriskay Re: Allens Cottages, Brighton Street - 1st Jan 2013 12:58pm
Can't help with the cottages, but here's a couple of maps which may help. The first is supposedly from 1882, the second is the 1912 Ordnance Survey.

Attached picture Clip3.jpg
Attached picture Clip2.jpg
Posted By: JessandAnn Re: Allens Cottages, Brighton Street - 1st Jan 2013 2:28pm
Thanks! good to know there's someone out there today!! Most folks will be nursing big head aches lol!!
Posted By: chriskay Re: Allens Cottages, Brighton Street - 1st Jan 2013 2:55pm
Originally Posted by JessandAnn
Thanks! good to know there's someone out there today!! Most folks will be nursing big head aches lol!!

LOL, I had a modest amount to drink, as usual, and was in bed by 10.30.
I hope the maps may be of some help. My best guess would be that they were the row of six cottages (one of which was a pub in 1912) fronting onto Tobin St., since they were there on the earlier map. Good luck with your search.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral