Forums
Posted By: saltytom Pub Noctorum ave - 20th Dec 2012 7:27am
I am trying to find the name of the pub that was on the site of the co-op on Noctorum Ave.
As it was by the Upton station we had decided on the railway but I'm not to sure.
Thanks for any help
Posted By: bert1 Re: Pub Noctorum ave - 20th Dec 2012 9:21am
I can't remember a pub being there, I think the land was a yard owned by the railway, where's Uptoncx when you need him?
he'll know.
Posted By: PlasticScouser Re: Pub Noctorum ave - 20th Dec 2012 9:39am
I was born and brought up in Thirlmere Avenue from 1950 and that land was always a coal siding where coal merchants came to collect coal delivered by train, to deliver to their customers
Posted By: bert1 Re: Pub Noctorum ave - 20th Dec 2012 10:55am

Attached picture upton.jpg
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Pub Noctorum ave - 20th Dec 2012 11:51am
Nearest pub near there that I can think of is the 7 Stiles now the Fenderside but that;s on the other side of Upton Road.
APart from the Avenue roads,the Noctorum and Ford estates are fairly new (1960s?)
If there was a pub where you have suggested it must go back in time quite a way.
What makes you think there was a pub there?
Posted By: saltytom Re: Pub Noctorum ave - 20th Dec 2012 1:53pm
I thought as much I use to see a girl in windermere ave late 60s 70s and can not remember it.
But 2 lads swear they drank in this missing pub before going to play cricket about 1966 /7.
Thanks for the info I will point them to this page
Posted By: fish5133 Re: Pub Noctorum ave - 21st Dec 2012 12:04am
I was around there then 66/67 albeit only 7 and i do remember the old station ticket office with its lovely coal fire cantilevered out above the railway line. And also agree with others about coal and marshalling yards.
Posted By: uptoncx Re: Pub Noctorum ave - 21st Dec 2012 9:22pm

You are correct, the site now occupied by the Co-op was originally the goods station and later a coal yard. A signal box located at the end of the Bidston bound platform controlled access to the yard.

After the coal yard closed in the 1960s, the land remained derelict until Kwik Save built their store on the site.

This (not very good) picture is the only one I have seen of the coal yard.

As an aside, the first house on the left in Noctorum Avenue was the Station Masters house.

Attached picture coalyard.jpg
© Wirral-Wikiwirral