Forums
Posted By: kamikazi Graffiti - 17th Dec 2012 11:09am
Stripped the wallpaper in the bedroom, on the original plaster was this message, see photo.

Any ideas what is written here?

I cant make it out?

K

Attached picture IMAG0496.jpg
Posted By: j_demo Re: Graffiti - 17th Dec 2012 1:45pm
looks like a coded message to the underworld

but seriously, i have no idea...
Posted By: Bethan Re: Graffiti - 17th Dec 2012 3:52pm
We have something like this in one of the bedrooms in our house but it is a name (Karen) and the date she was born, found out my mum knew who it was too!
Posted By: Capt_America Re: Graffiti - 17th Dec 2012 6:17pm
Is it written backwards or are the capital letters clues to a substitution key? Can'tread it well enough to help, sorry.
Posted By: SirTankWelder Re: Graffiti - 17th Dec 2012 6:20pm
It says there is a stash of money buried in the garden 15ft down 12 steps from the back door
Posted By: Moonstar Re: Graffiti - 17th Dec 2012 6:57pm
Not seen anything like that. We used to leave measurements and wallpaper requirements in pencil on a wall so that when the next person stripped it they knew exactly what was needed. I think there were a few puzzles too but that one isn't one of ours. :-)
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Graffiti - 17th Dec 2012 7:03pm
Every room I've papered at my various abodes, I've written the same poem for someone's future perusal.
Posted By: j_demo Re: Graffiti - 17th Dec 2012 7:15pm
Originally Posted by Moonstar
Not seen anything like that. We used to leave measurements and wallpaper requirements in pencil on a wall so that when the next person stripped it they knew exactly what was needed. I think there were a few puzzles too but that one isn't one of ours. :-)

i just do a massive cock and balls in permanant marker because i'm childish like that.
Posted By: kamikazi Re: Graffiti - 17th Dec 2012 8:38pm
I think its quite old because of the script syle of the writing at the top, found lots of graffiti elsewhere in the property including portraits, interesting what you find when you decorate an old house.

Just started to renovate a ceiling rose in the same room, heres a before and after a few hours, shame that most of these have been ripped out.

Attached picture After.jpg
Attached picture before.jpg
Posted By: Gold_Moon Re: Graffiti - 18th Dec 2012 7:20pm
The line in the middle looks like "MSSOMPHH" but the rest of it is too blurred/faded to make out any words. It might not even be in English?

Speaking of codes, anyone know what the one below means? It's carved on the wall of Egremont promenade's sea wall and reads "Legio Patria Hostra".

Attached picture Legio Patria (from shore) - Copy.JPG
Posted By: bert1 Re: Graffiti - 18th Dec 2012 7:37pm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_Foreign_Legion

maybe
Posted By: j_demo Re: Graffiti - 18th Dec 2012 7:38pm
Legio Patria Nostra is latin, each means:
Legio = Legion
Patria = Country
Nostra = Our

no real meaning to the phrase though

*when unemployed i decided to rosettastone latin. i know a bit, not massive on it though, had to get the dictionary out for Nostra lol
Posted By: dizdazdoz Re: Graffiti - 18th Dec 2012 7:39pm
Originally Posted by SirTankWelder
It says there is a stash of money buried in the garden 15ft down 12 steps from the back door

thumbsupgoing with me shovel
Posted By: Gold_Moon Re: Graffiti - 18th Dec 2012 7:53pm
I have googled the phrase before, and according to Wikipedia "Legio Patria Nostra" means "The Legion is our Fatherland" in Latin, and is the motto of the French Foreign Legion.

However, the carving is "Hostra" not "Nostra". I've checked carefully, and it is definitely a "H" not an "N". Slang maybe?
Posted By: bert1 Re: Graffiti - 18th Dec 2012 8:37pm
Can only surmise whoever done the carving didn't know his Latin,
Something in the memory banks tells me it was done by a french prisoner. think
Posted By: Cranky Re: Graffiti - 18th Dec 2012 9:51pm
The second word looks like rouge, and there's another word that looks like un further along. Could that line be French?
Posted By: Cranky Re: Graffiti - 18th Dec 2012 10:01pm
If the next word could be narazic that's the polish for expose...
Posted By: Raymondoj Re: Graffiti - 20th Dec 2012 8:26pm
It certainly looks like MSSOMPHH. Could it be some sort of acronym. Like this one YYURYYICICURYY4ME which means too wise you are too wise I see I see you are too wise for me. I have done a web search but that throws nothing up.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral