Forums
Posted By: molong upton village - 2nd Dec 2012 3:50pm
does anyone have a photo of the old toll cottage that was at the top of Greasby Road? As kids we knew it as Rutters Cottage, after the people who last lived there. Also,any info on the old Upton cemetary which was at the top of Greasby Road where the funeral home is now.My Gt-grandad was supposedly the last person buried there,I dont know what date. Thanks for any help.
Posted By: uptoncx Re: upton village - 3rd Dec 2012 7:28pm

Rutter's cottage (also known as Hall Hill Cottage and Toll Bar Cottage) was built about 1820 and was, between about 1837 and 1841, the village school. There are quite a few pictures of the cottage, the one below is probably one that is less well known.

The graveyard on Greasby Road was the churchyard belonging to Greenbank Church, which closed in 1868 when St Mary's Church was opened. The church building was demolished in 1887, but the churchyard remained 'officially' open until 1958, when Birkenhead Corporation took over responsibility for it. The picture below is the only picture I know of Greenbank Church.

If you could let me know your Great Granddads’ name, I may be able to find some information on him.

Attached picture hallhillcottage.jpg
Attached picture greenbankchurch.jpg
Posted By: molong Re: upton village - 4th Dec 2012 6:13pm
Thanks,Uptoncx for the info and photos.The cottage is just as i remember it as a child.
My G.Grandad was Michael Leonard .He was born in Galway in about 1854 and married Bridget Woods in Upton in 1877. I have no more info on him and cant trace him back to Ireland or any of his relations there. Thanks again, Molong.
Posted By: fish5133 Re: upton village - 5th Dec 2012 12:06am
I think one of the sandstone pillars of the toll bar is actually still there. you can see it on the grass on streetview
© Wirral-Wikiwirral