Forums
Posted By: DaveWez Brownlow Road, New Ferry - 30th Nov 2012 8:48pm
Just wondering if anybody on here has any pictures of Brownlow Road, New Ferry from early 20th century? I believe our house is one of the oldest in the road and I'm hoping I can find an old picture of it. We've just decorated our hall and I hope to have some local pictures/history framed on the wall instead of the usual canvas/family pictures.

Cheers

Dave
Posted By: Marto_martius Re: Brownlow Road, New Ferry - 1st Dec 2012 10:13pm
Would you be talking about 6 brownlow road by any chance?.
Posted By: DaveWez Re: Brownlow Road, New Ferry - 2nd Dec 2012 3:41am
no, i'm a bit further down. is this the oldest house?
Posted By: Marto_martius Re: Brownlow Road, New Ferry - 2nd Dec 2012 4:24pm
I used to live in no 6. They say it is haunted. Sorry but I don't know if yours is the oldest but for me no6 is the scariest. As where I am living now is the mouldiest 😡
Posted By: yewgarth Re: Brownlow Road, New Ferry - 3rd Dec 2012 7:45pm
Have heard a lot about No6.
Posted By: DaveWez Re: Brownlow Road, New Ferry - 3rd Dec 2012 8:26pm
apparently ours is 1 of 2 houses with a cellar, it was meant to have been used as a shelter for the street during the war, not sure whether I believe this though.
Posted By: DaveWez Re: Brownlow Road, New Ferry - 3rd Dec 2012 8:27pm
Originally Posted by yewgarth
Have heard a lot about No6.

like?
Posted By: Marto_martius Re: Brownlow Road, New Ferry - 4th Dec 2012 6:49am
Like, things would go missing in the house. Usually a small object. You can never find it but is will just suddenly turn up in the place were it dissapeared. Plus also you just hear a sigh every now and then. That's all I can remember. I think also the ghost is a lady that died in the house.
Posted By: DaveWez Re: Brownlow Road, New Ferry - 5th Dec 2012 12:02am
really interesting, I thought somebody may have seen a ghost in no.6.

when we first moved into our house in 2010 I found it really uncomfortable sleeping in the back bedroom, it felt like I was being watched, horrible feeling.

we had to replace the floor in the dining room which meant the cellar was exposed for a few days. I hated it as I had visions in my head of somebody/something crawling out from the cellar during the night and standing next to my bed. I'm a light sleeper which doesn't help, so any noise and I shoot out of bed and check the whole house out. I hate the cellar and it's more hassle than it's worth, would love to fill it with concrete.
Posted By: Marto_martius Re: Brownlow Road, New Ferry - 5th Dec 2012 10:22pm
I think that might just be child hood fear of scary dark spaces. Although I developed a fear of block up fire places while living in no 6. Not long after we moved in my bedroom fireplace was blocked up with hardboard. First windy night I was woken by the noise of the hardboard flexing. As a kid the first thing that enter my head was, monsters trying to get in. And unblocked fireplace is fine. I can't e
Remember if number 6 had a cellar or not. I have to ask mum. But the outside has a Georgian look, probably fake:).
Posted By: DaveWez Re: Brownlow Road, New Ferry - 8th Dec 2012 10:51am
must be fake as I'm sure all the houses were built during the Victorian era, ours was built in 1869 - Derby Villas.

the plaque above the door gives a name of T.M. & B, not sure if this is the name of the builer or the brickworks. I'm assuming Derby Villas is the name given to our house and the one next door.
Posted By: mollydolly Re: Brownlow Road, New Ferry - 9th Dec 2012 8:23pm
My Nan and Grandad lived at 39, about 40 years ago. Grandad woke up one night and there was a woman standing at the bottom of the bed. His first thought was a ghost, turned out the houses were only separated by a small wall in the loft. This woman lived at the top of the street and she was going through the lofts and getting into lots of the houses. She developed a mental illness after her husband died and was looking for him. Im not certain but i think theirs had a cellar.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral