Forums
Posted By: ann12 OLD NAMES - 29th Sep 2012 2:29pm
does any one know what Bhd Sravannies is or was in Birkenhead? I have it on 1911 census
Posted By: chriskay Re: OLD NAMES - 29th Sep 2012 3:32pm
That sounds like a mis-reading to me. Can you post a scan, or maybe just all the information you have from the census?
Posted By: ann12 Re: OLD NAMES - 29th Sep 2012 3:40pm
i just dates of birth for family members and 2 have that by them
Posted By: granny Re: OLD NAMES - 29th Sep 2012 3:47pm
Ann12, could it be Birkenhead Xaverians? Not sure but think it was a college or school back then.Can't help much further, although someone else will, no doubt. You might find it on Wikipaedia.
Posted By: bert1 Re: OLD NAMES - 29th Sep 2012 3:53pm
Ann,

If you put a persons name, date of birth and area up, I'll find it and have a look.
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: OLD NAMES - 29th Sep 2012 6:16pm
Seem to remember Xavarians and St Saviours for some reason, don't know where that comes from just something at the back of my mind.
My mistake it was St Xaviers (pronounced Saviours), just had a hunt around. So it must be St Xaviers Old Boys I think.
Posted By: granny Re: OLD NAMES - 29th Sep 2012 6:25pm
Earlier, I read and think it was Wikipaedia, that Xavarians was Roman Catholic College, although it didn't mention Birkenhead, therefore, it was possibly used for many R.C Colleges. So your post would be right, I should think.
Posted By: dave_h Re: OLD NAMES - 29th Sep 2012 6:38pm
Originally Posted by granny
Earlier, I read and think it was Wikipaedia, that Xavarians was Roman Catholic College, although it didn't mention Birkenhead, therefore, it was possibly used for many R.C Colleges. So your post would be right, I should think.

dont rely on shitapedia what were the commants about the page if any?
Posted By: granny Re: OLD NAMES - 29th Sep 2012 7:16pm
Web definitions
The Xaverian Brothers or Congregation of St. Francis Xavier (CFX) are a religious order founded by Theodore James Ryken in Bruges, Belgium in 1839 and named after Saint Francis Xavier. The order is dedicated to Roman Catholic education in Belgium, England and the United States.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xaverians

Xaverian Roman Catholic Sixth form College, known locally as Xaverian or Xavs is a College and former Grammar School in the city of Manchester.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xaverian

Posted By: yoller Re: OLD NAMES - 29th Sep 2012 8:48pm
Sravannies is the name of a place in County Leitrim, Ireland. The entry next to their birth dates is probably to indicate that they were born there.

See this link ...
http://www.irelandgenweb.com/irllet/PoorLaw.htm
Posted By: Salmon Re: OLD NAMES - 29th Sep 2012 9:05pm
http://www.sfx.liverpool.sch.uk/
St Francis Xaviers College (SFX) has history in Liverpool as far back as 1842 and is still going strong.
Posted By: ann12 Re: OLD NAMES - 29th Sep 2012 10:19pm
thanks every 1 for the help and info on this. ann
Posted By: 3richard Re: OLD NAMES - 30th Sep 2012 9:01am
Does anyone know the exact location of Taylors Delph in Tranmere?
Posted By: bert1 Re: OLD NAMES - 30th Sep 2012 11:25am
Not exact because I can't find it on the map I have, it was by Queen St,thats at the bottom of Holt Hill, running into Old Chester Rd.

Attached picture taylors delph.jpg
Posted By: marty99fred Re: OLD NAMES - 30th Sep 2012 8:03pm
Taylor's Delph was one of the largest of the stone quarries on Holt Hill. It's clearly named on earlier maps, occupying the area I've outlined on this 1912 Edition OS map.

Attached picture Taylor's Delph.jpg
Posted By: Briannic Re: OLD NAMES - 30th Sep 2012 8:12pm
Has anybody got some old shop names from Birkenhead from the 1950s until the 1970s
Posted By: granny Re: OLD NAMES - 30th Sep 2012 10:59pm
Originally Posted by Briannic
Has anybody got some old shop names from Birkenhead from the 1950s until the 1970s

try this. First topic on the history section.

https://www.wikiwirral.co.uk/forums...members_General_History_.html#Post183525
Posted By: 3richard Re: OLD NAMES - 1st Oct 2012 8:00am
Thanks to Bertie 1 & Marty99fred. My Dad was born in Tranmere and often mentioned Taylor`s Delph he lived in Hinderton Road. Once again Thanks.
Posted By: dool4lit4tle Re: OLD NAMES - 1st Oct 2012 11:26am
the only thing I can come up with, is that Sravani is an indian name
© Wirral-Wikiwirral