Forums
Posted By: turnip west kirby raf - 18th Sep 2012 9:47am
Just wondering if any of the old raf buildings are still there and how to get to them?
Posted By: bert1 Re: west kirby raf - 18th Sep 2012 10:07am
https://www.wikiwirral.co.uk/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/266860/1.html
Posted By: turnip Re: west kirby raf - 18th Sep 2012 10:20am
Doesn't really answer my question. Just tells me where it used to be. Have no idea where I would find any of the buildings that are left.
Posted By: Gibbo Re: west kirby raf - 18th Sep 2012 10:20am
If you want a mooch around an old base I think the closest still standing is RAF Croft near Warrington.

http://nwex.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3737
Posted By: bert1 Re: west kirby raf - 18th Sep 2012 10:47am
Originally Posted by turnip
Doesn't really answer my question. Just tells me where it used to be. Have no idea where I would find any of the buildings that are left.

Silly me, here is me thinking the buildings may or may not be where the camp used to be, also photo's of empty fields may also be a clue that buildings may no longer exist.
Posted By: Martin1943 Re: west kirby raf - 18th Sep 2012 10:59am
None of the buildings is standing on site. The shelters, which were in a field nearer West Kirby, just as one goes down the hill, where excavated and destroyed about two years ago. However two of the Hangers were relocated at a stable down Park Lane, Meols. They are still in use as stables/menage.
Posted By: Tatey Re: west kirby raf - 18th Sep 2012 5:57pm
Turnip,

Only some basic foundations remain & these are very overgrown. "Digging Deeper" took me on a guided tour some time ago.
Posted By: Greenwood Re: west kirby raf - 18th Sep 2012 10:21pm
One of the old wooden camp buildings is being used as a scout hut at St. John the Divine; it's easily visible from Frankby Road. They're raising funds to have it replaced with a modern building, though, so it's probably not long for this world.
Posted By: Tatey Re: west kirby raf - 19th Sep 2012 6:38am
An old mate of mine from Wallasey did his basic training there before being shipped out to Ceylon!
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: west kirby raf - 19th Sep 2012 9:47am
He must be old Tatey, I was based in Ceylon too, 1961. Closed down Ceylon Wireless and opened Mauritius, best tour of my life and didn't want to come back home. 18 months of Paradise.
Posted By: Tatey Re: west kirby raf - 20th Sep 2012 5:46am
Originally Posted by BandyCoot
He must be old Tatey, I was based in Ceylon too, 1961. Closed down Ceylon Wireless and opened Mauritius, best tour of my life and didn't want to come back home. 18 months of Paradise.

Don is 93 & still manages the odd half! laugh
© Wirral-Wikiwirral