Forums
Posted By: mezmrz Shorefields or Mayfields?, New Ferry - 15th Sep 2012 2:27am
This picture was taken in April 1976, and its confusing to me because my dad's collection of prints says Mayfields or Shorefields. This pic had Shorefields written on the back. But to me, who played football on both pitches, Shorefields and Mayfields were the same??

Attached picture 197604-03.jpg
Posted By: Finney Re: Shorefields or Mayfields?, New Ferry - 15th Sep 2012 4:10am
The picture is of Mayfields, Shorefields is the fields next to where the Great Western pub used to be ( opposite pollitt square). If you google map new ferry road, new ferry you can see Mayfields on the map situated between Shorefields and Graylands road. Hope this helps.
Posted By: madhat Re: Shorefields or Mayfields?, New Ferry - 15th Sep 2012 9:03am
the pub was the great eastern
Posted By: chris7777 Re: Shorefields or Mayfields?, New Ferry - 15th Sep 2012 9:10am
Its opposite shorefields house, it is confusing when you think
about it, before the by pass was built all along there and the allotments
in the mayfields was the tip,when the by pass was built
it was still a tip,i used to pass it everyday going to school,,beb sec,,, you can see the big hill on the right.
Posted By: dizdazdoz Re: Shorefields or Mayfields?, New Ferry - 15th Sep 2012 10:06am
I grew up in Graylands Road and these are Mayfields pitches.
Posted By: rach87 Re: Shorefields or Mayfields?, New Ferry - 15th Sep 2012 10:37am
just asked my husband and this picture is definitely Shorefields, as you see the old tip, and Liverpool! lived there for 25 years!!
Posted By: Finney Re: Shorefields or Mayfields?, New Ferry - 15th Sep 2012 3:52pm
Originally Posted by madhat
the pub was the great eastern

Thanks for that correction Madhat
Posted By: yewgarth Re: Shorefields or Mayfields?, New Ferry - 17th Sep 2012 4:09pm
That is most definitely mayfields, i think people are getting confused with the big hill and the landfill. that view is very similar to the view looking over the Mersey today with the landfill on the right but when this pic was taken it was flat land. The hill on the picture is the large hill at the bottom of graylands!!
Posted By: Trearan Re: Shorefields or Mayfields?, New Ferry - 5th Nov 2012 10:43pm
The picture was taken on Mayfields, looking towards the river. Today, the same view has completely changed and you can no longer see the river as in this photograph. The hill on the right is the PLUTO hill under which oil storage tanks were built to unload and store fuel during WWII. The tanks were connected to the pipeline that ran down the country to The Channel and over to France. It was sited here because of frequent Luftwaffe attacks on the Liverpool and Birkenhead Dock systems. The Pluto hill is still there, as are the tanks underneath it but sealed off from access.

Beyond the "cliff" was/is the United Utilities water treatment plant (substantially rebuilt in the early 2000s) and which is now surrounded by a high steel fence. Beyond this (out of shot, below the horizon of the football pitch) was the former silting ponds (where materials dredged from Bromborough Dock were deposited). In 1991 this became the site of the waste tip, which, by 2006 when it closed, had grown to be a high mountain which now obscures the view of the river seen here.
Posted By: yewgarth Re: Shorefields or Mayfields?, New Ferry - 6th Nov 2012 12:41am
I actually explored inside the 'Big Hill' when i was kid in the 70s. It had a main corridor running down the centre of it with rooms coming off. over the years it had flooded to ground level and as i shined my torch over the balcony of the central walkway,you could see at least another 5 walkways beneath the water. At the southern end of the walkway it opened out into a large engineering workshop that probably covered 1/4 of the hill. I remember there being an old wartime tractor, a large compressor, work benches and lockers.there were even cups on the benches. Remember this was only about 30 years after the war and we were kids so it was nothing special at that time,just an exploration that we did lots of in the 70s.
Posted By: TRANCENTRAL Re: Shorefields or Mayfields?, New Ferry - 6th Nov 2012 1:47am
Originally Posted by yewgarth
I actually explored inside the 'Big Hill' when i was kid in the 70s. It had a main corridor running down the centre of it with rooms coming off. over the years it had flooded to ground level and as i shined my torch over the balcony of the central walkway,you could see at least another 5 walkways beneath the water. At the southern end of the walkway it opened out into a large engineering workshop that probably covered 1/4 of the hill. I remember there being an old wartime tractor, a large compressor, work benches and lockers.there were even cups on the benches. Remember this was only about 30 years after the war and we were kids so it was nothing special at that time,just an exploration that we did lots of in the 70s.
fab stuff garth would love to hear more mate and Trearan
mate you can get in wink
Posted By: yewgarth Re: Shorefields or Mayfields?, New Ferry - 10th Nov 2012 11:28pm
there's no chance that you can get in now, the two corridors and the main shaft have been caved in, thumbsdown
Posted By: TRANCENTRAL Re: Shorefields or Mayfields?, New Ferry - 11th Nov 2012 12:11am
there's no chance that you can get in now, the two corridors and the main shaft have been caved in, thumbsdown
O poo frown
Posted By: Trearan Re: Shorefields or Mayfields?, New Ferry - 13th Nov 2012 10:37pm
Originally Posted by TRANCENTRAL
fab stuff garth would love to hear more mate and Trearan
mate you can get in wink

It would have made for a super tourist attraction if it was still accessible. I would have loved to see it. What a shame. frown
Posted By: dizdazdoz Re: Shorefields or Mayfields?, New Ferry - 13th Nov 2012 10:55pm
As I said it's Mayfields, I grew up on Graylands Road and my parents still live there.

I use to play on the "big hill" all the time, on the left of the hill was a pond we use to make rafts to play on, you could get right down to the river and watch boats pass bye.

The picture was taken from the end with the by-pass behind you, if you went under the sub-way of beaconsfield road and went straight up it would give you a reasonible idea of how times have changed.

Would someone who could draw to draw one form the photo and one now to see the change in landscape, when the landfill started there I was a teenager and the locals fought to the bitter end to save the views we see in the photo above, sadly the people in power won.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral