Forums
Posted By: sarahgee Land before Sunningdale Way, Little Neston - 13th Sep 2012 11:52am
I grew up on the Greenfields Road/Colliery Green Drive housing estate in the late 70's & 80's. I fondly remember playing on the empty fields between the estate and the marshes where Sunningdale Way, Derby Close etc. have since been built.

Recently I revisted the area and tried to explain to my partner what the land was like before the houses, the fenced off field where people kept horses, the playing field next to Colliery Green Close, the large grids from the abandoned coal mines on the land etc.

I was wondering if anyone had any photographs of the land before the houses were built? Does anyone know when the houses were built? I know they were thehere when I moved in 1994.

Thanks
Posted By: venice Re: Land before Sunningdale Way, Little Neston - 13th Sep 2012 1:05pm
Its only a calculated guess based on how old kids and dogs were when we used to walk those fields, but Id guess that the bottom end of the Greenfields estate was built maybe around 1977 ish.
I remember because the dog of the time, ran headlong into one of the wooden stakes marking out the field nearest the marsh for building , and nearly brained himself!
Do you remember the two little mining houses adjacent to the track beyond the Harp, on their own little piece of land where the last new houses were built? We used to go in there (they were derelict) and scrump the apples and pears. Sorry no pictures .
Posted By: sarahgee Re: Land before Sunningdale Way, Little Neston - 15th Sep 2012 3:08pm
My Mum seems to think it was around 1982 they started building Sunningdale Way and surrounding roads. We moved to the Greenfields Drive estate in 1978 (apprently it was called Denhall Farm Estate in the Broseley marketing brochures) and I remember playing on the fields with our dog whilst I was in school so that would make it around 1982 when building commenced. The grass was often so long we used to loose the dog in it!

It just seems to weird looking at it now and its a mass of houses building practically on top of each other.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral