Forums
Posted By: cjwilki1 Coq D'Or Backford - 22nd Aug 2012 5:34pm
Please could anyone help with info regarding my grandparents restaurant which was somewhere in Mollington/Backford up until about 1964 when it was demolished I believe. I think it was on a busy roundabout somewhere and used to host lots of coach parties.Any memories, anyone? Thanks
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Coq D'Or Backford - 22nd Aug 2012 6:07pm
If my memory serves me right, it was on the A517 (Backford to Shotwick road) near the roundabout where the A540 (Chester High Road) crosses. On LH side heading towards Shotwick. There's a filling station (if it's still there)almost on the same spot now.

Maybe someone else can verify ??
Posted By: sunnyside Re: Coq D'Or Backford - 22nd Aug 2012 6:10pm
i think you are right pinzgauer, i was only young but remember it there
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Coq D'Or Backford - 22nd Aug 2012 6:13pm
Thanks sunnyside. A relief to know there are still a few grey cells left in the old swede !!! grin
Posted By: sunnyside Re: Coq D'Or Backford - 22nd Aug 2012 6:15pm
you certainly know how to make a woman feel good pinzgauer lol.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Coq D'Or Backford - 22nd Aug 2012 6:31pm
Oops sorry. I was actually referring to myself and my "iffy" memory! Yes, I suppose as a chat-up line, I could have done better. ha.ha. Hides back under rock !!
Posted By: sunnyside Re: Coq D'Or Backford - 22nd Aug 2012 6:35pm
no problem pinzgauer, the true does hurt, i am a dinosaur lol.
Posted By: Tatey Re: Coq D'Or Backford - 22nd Aug 2012 6:58pm
I still refer to the roundabout as the Coq D'Or
Posted By: sunnyside Re: Coq D'Or Backford - 22nd Aug 2012 7:09pm
so do i tatey, some things don't change do they? people don.t know were i am on about .
Posted By: solvas42 Re: Coq D'Or Backford - 22nd Aug 2012 7:47pm
the coq dor was a hotel on the A41 on the roundabout just past the garden centre on the right hand side on way to chester - backford border , it was demolished mid sixties . And a very smart woman started to build a new hotel on the same site , it was halted because she had money troubles , in fact she had none.
Posted By: cmw2a Re: Coq D'Or Backford - 22nd Aug 2012 9:18pm
Solvas, you're right. I remember that concrete building, it was started but never finished.
Posted By: Greybeard Re: Coq D'Or Backford - 26th Aug 2012 2:26pm
The coq d'or was at the junction of A41 and A5117. I fell asleep after a "heavy lunch" in a lecture there in the mid 1960's.
Posted By: Greybeard Re: Coq D'Or Backford - 26th Aug 2012 2:31pm
I think there was a change of ownership and it was then called The Mercury inn before it closed and was then demolised.
Posted By: sunnyside Re: Coq D'Or Backford - 26th Aug 2012 3:57pm
that is correct greybeard.
Posted By: Brown_Horrocks Re: Coq D'Or Backford - 26th Aug 2012 4:09pm
Thats right, I remember it as the Mercury Motor Inn
Posted By: uptoncx Re: Coq D'Or Backford - 26th Aug 2012 5:13pm

The Coq d'Or closed in the 1960s with plans for a new motel. The building was demolished and the steelwork for the new motel was errected. This 'skeleton' remained for many years until the site was sold and the Wirral Mercury Motor Inn was built (I think they removed the old steelwork and started again). This was later re-named the Penguin.

Attached picture coqdor1.jpg
Attached picture coqdor2.jpg
© Wirral-Wikiwirral