Forums
Posted By: atw1960 Woodchurch Estate Road Names - 13th Aug 2012 4:28pm
Just thinking to myself the other day (painful as it was) and I got to wondering about some of the road names on the Woody. Some of them seem to derive from the old tithe map names for the different plots , whilst others may have other derivations ,for example Glebe Hey Road or Carr Bridge Road . I've found out what a Carr is and a Glebe - but what is a Hey ?
It may be derived from a Cheshire dialect but I can't seem to find it anywhere.
I'm sure someone on Wiki can help.Thanking you in advance.
Posted By: yoller Re: Woodchurch Estate Road Names - 13th Aug 2012 5:23pm
I think it's an old Saxon word meaning enclosure.
Posted By: yoller Re: Woodchurch Estate Road Names - 13th Aug 2012 5:32pm
According to this website ...
http://www.domesdaybook.co.uk/places.html
... it means 'animal feeding stalls.'
Posted By: 24424m Re: Woodchurch Estate Road Names - 13th Aug 2012 7:13pm
Slightly off-topic, but as regards road names on the Woody, how do you pronounce Houghton Road?
Is it HORton Road, or HOWton Road?
Posted By: Archaeo Re: Woodchurch Estate Road Names - 13th Aug 2012 7:19pm
a hey is an enclosed field. It's Old English but used fairly late as a term.
Posted By: bert1 Re: Woodchurch Estate Road Names - 13th Aug 2012 8:48pm
Originally Posted by 24424m
Slightly off-topic, but as regards road names on the Woody, how do you pronounce Houghton Road?

Horton
Posted By: 24424m Re: Woodchurch Estate Road Names - 13th Aug 2012 9:19pm
Originally Posted by bert1
Originally Posted by 24424m

Horton

Yes I thought it was that - so unlike Ray Houghton, the ex LFC player!
Posted By: Erainn Re: Woodchurch Estate Road Names - 18th Aug 2012 9:32am
Could it be a variant of 'hay'? If so would tie in with the land use of that area prior to the development of the estate, as indicated by another road name there, 'Home Farm Road' #justathought
Posted By: CVCVCV Re: Woodchurch Estate Road Names - 20th Aug 2012 7:25pm
As in 'Fox Hey Rd' in Wallasey?
Posted By: Erainn Re: Woodchurch Estate Road Names - 21st Aug 2012 10:01am
Update regarding the idea that 'hey' is derived from Old English for 'enclosure, according to an OE Dictionary http://home.comcast.net/~modean52/oeme_dictionaries.htm

'enclose' used the OE word clyppan while 'surround' was ymbsellan in OE

enclosed land used the OE word pearroc

Bosworth & Toller's definitive Anglo-Saxon dictionary also notes that the AS for 'enclosure' was pearroc

This being so, we need to look elsewhere for the origin of 'hey' as applying to the Woodchurch.

Posted By: derekdwc Re: Woodchurch Estate Road Names - 21st Aug 2012 1:11pm
Glebe - wikipedia

In the Roman Catholic and Anglican church traditions, a glebe was an area of land belonging to a benefice. This was property (in addition to the parsonage house and grounds) which was assigned to support the priest.[2] Glebe included a wide variety of properties including strips in the open field system or could be grouped together into a compact plot of land.[1] Tithes were in early times the main means of support for the parish clergy but glebe land was either granted by the lord of the manor of the manor in which the church was situated, often with co-terminous boundaries as the parish, or accumulated from other donations of particular pieces of land and was rarely sold. The amount of such land varied from parish to parish, occasionally forming a complete glebe farm. Information about the glebe would be recorded at ecclesiastical visitations in a glebe "terrier" (Latin terra, land).[3] It could also entail complete farms, individual fields, shops, houses, or factories.[citation needed] A holder of a benefice could retain the glebe for his own use, usually for agricultural exploitation, or he could "farm" it (i.e. lease it) to others and retain the rent as the income.[1]
Posted By: marty99fred Re: Woodchurch Estate Road Names - 21st Aug 2012 5:25pm
The word Hey (sometimes spelt Hay or Haie) is derived from the OE hege and simply means a hedge or fence. By extension the word came to be used for any field or enclosure surrounded by a hedge or fence. It's use in this sense became widespread in Lancashire and Cheshire following the passing of the various Enclosure Acts in the 18th and 19th centuries, but numerous examples can be found prior to this as well.
Posted By: chriskay Re: Woodchurch Estate Road Names - 21st Aug 2012 6:21pm
Originally Posted by marty99fred
The word Hey (sometimes spelt Hay or Haie)

And in French a hedge is "une haie" so obviously the same root.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral