Forums
Posted By: krooney Has anybody ever seen the Hoylake Statue? - 6th Aug 2012 2:00pm

Hi All,

Researching Hoylake and believe that a statue of King William Prince Of Orange my have been on the kinds gap roundabout at some point in the past. Has anybody ever seen this statue, what was it like, does anybody have any photos? is it a myth?

all your thoughts would be most welcome,

Thanks, Karl ([email protected])
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Has anybody ever seen the Hoylake Statue? - 6th Aug 2012 3:54pm
karl not sure about statue in hoylake but on my grandfathers christening day in 1919 he was given a porcelin king billy sat on a throne ( approx 12 inches in height)it went to my mother and now its mine. just a bit of sentimental trivia. glengormley county antrim was his roots.
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Has anybody ever seen the Hoylake Statue? - 6th Aug 2012 4:48pm
I've got the sash my father wore, honest. It's a bit tattered, but I've got it.
Posted By: littlestan Re: Has anybody ever seen the Hoylake Statue? - 8th Aug 2012 12:05pm
Wonderful ! I am interested in the Irish history of Wirral . This includes both sides
i.e. the Orange and the Green . Does anyone have any information on the
Orange Lodges that existed in Birkenhead - and anywhere else in Wirral if there
were any! I believe there is only one Lodge still operating in Wirral and now based
at the E.S.W.A. Club in Park Rd South. There used to be one opposite the old
Childrens Hosp. -just off Woodchurch Rd. when I was a lad . Was there ever one
operating in the North End of Birkenhead ? There is a nice leaflet that has been
produced recently by the Orange Order which describes the part that Hoylake
played in the gathering of the Army and Navy in that area in 1690 .
There were Irish Clubs & heroes of the Republican cause as well in Birkenhead !
© Wirral-Wikiwirral