Forums
Posted By: birch_jl Vyner Rd, Bidston Court Lodge - 20th Jul 2012 8:16pm
Hello everyone, I'm not actually new to the forum but this is my first time posting. I've read posts keenly since about 2010.

Started this thread as I was interested in the past of Bidston Court Gardens (known locally as the mops... wink ) I found an abandoned house to the east of the gardens (up towards - and exiting on - Vyner road, aside from a few walls built by the council, presumably) and after little research discovered it to be the lodge belonging to the old manor which is now located at Royden Park as the Hillbark hotel. I posted this in the urban exploration section of the forum as I was wondering if anyone had ever been inside or ever thought about going inside the lodge. It's been vacant for a number of years (apparently) so there's a good chance of some history in there, especially due to it's ties with the Hillbark which moved close to 100 years ago. Yet, it is locked up good. A friend of mine got in through a hole in the roof a while ago, but it was dark so he didn't explore much.

Aside from that, I was also interested if anyone had any knowledge of history that still lies around that area (including Bidston Hill itself!) that can be explored. Aside from the caves, which are pretty much a no go since the council blocked those places up a year or two ago... frown Any info just post! I know there's a lot of heritage up those ways wink

I have some pictures of the 'lodge' which I'll post in this thread. If anyone knows any history of the place let me know as it interests me! grin also couldn't find any threads that had been posted about this place, so sorry if it's a repost. Cheers everyone! smile
Posted By: birch_jl Re: Vyner Rd, Bidston Court Lodge - 20th Jul 2012 8:23pm
Photos

Description: Gates to the place
Attached picture Old_House_(2).jpg

Description: The lodge
Attached picture Old_House_(3).jpg
Posted By: birch_jl Re: Vyner Rd, Bidston Court Lodge - 20th Jul 2012 8:26pm
More photos.

Posted By: birch_jl Re: Vyner Rd, Bidston Court Lodge - 20th Jul 2012 8:27pm
Sorry about the photo's being rotated everyone... I did rotate them before uploading but they always seem to upload that way frown
Posted By: Rambo Re: Vyner Rd, Bidston Court Lodge - 20th Jul 2012 8:45pm
Try here matey;

https://www.wikiwirral.co.uk/forums...ALK_THERMOPYLAE_PASS_25_.html#Post421313
Posted By: KevinFinity Re: Vyner Rd, Bidston Court Lodge - 20th Jul 2012 9:13pm
That house looks really cool. I would not talk about access on the forum though. I guess it may get edited out when a mod comes along. Well done for getting out there.
Posted By: birch_jl Re: Vyner Rd, Bidston Court Lodge - 20th Jul 2012 9:38pm
Cheers Rambo, think I should take this thread down & repeat my posts in that thread or think it's outdated? Don't want to post in threads that aren't really alive any more!

Thanks for the tips kev, didn't think it was an issue! Esp as the gates to this place aren't exactly secure!
Posted By: Rambo Re: Vyner Rd, Bidston Court Lodge - 20th Jul 2012 9:53pm
Just keep it here, the Thermopolae walk was 2 years ago so a bit out of date now!
Posted By: birch_jl Re: Vyner Rd, Bidston Court Lodge - 21st Jul 2012 2:35am
Yeah I guessed so... Hope some fresh info on this place arrives soon smile even if it it's simply of who resided here prior to it being left a shambles!!
Posted By: uptoncx Re: Vyner Rd, Bidston Court Lodge - 21st Jul 2012 6:27am

See the thread 'Hillbark Mystery' in the History forum.
Posted By: BennyBoy Re: Vyner Rd, Bidston Court Lodge - 21st Jul 2012 11:42am
I've got a picture of it bombed in the war. I can post it if people haven't seen it?
Posted By: BennyBoy Re: Vyner Rd, Bidston Court Lodge - 21st Jul 2012 11:52am
Sorry it's the couch house. My mistake
Posted By: birch_jl Re: Vyner Rd, Bidston Court Lodge - 21st Jul 2012 2:37pm
I have a picture of the coach house back from the early 1900's. Assuming you mean the one that was at the top of bidston court gardens towards vyner rd? Want me to post that too? Would love to see the picture of it bombed in the war...
Posted By: BennyBoy Re: Vyner Rd, Bidston Court Lodge - 21st Jul 2012 4:05pm
I'll post it later. Iv got images from the library. Birkenhead library have a catalogue of all bombed places in birkenhead. A good number of them are in books about the war however , there are quite a few which haven't.

Posted By: birch_jl Re: Vyner Rd, Bidston Court Lodge - 21st Jul 2012 5:04pm
Cool, i'd like to see those... is there any more pictures from around that area? here's the picture of the coach house that used to be situated at the top of bidston court gardens when it was in use smile

Attached picture BidstonCourtStables1.jpg
Posted By: uptoncx Re: Vyner Rd, Bidston Court Lodge - 21st Jul 2012 6:45pm
Both these pictures are in the thread that I provided the link for earlier. Clicking here will take you directly to post containing the picture of the bombed stables.

Posted By: MerseyMan Re: Vyner Rd, Bidston Court Lodge - 21st Jul 2012 8:39pm
My cousin is moving to Eleanor road soon, to a house called the coach house, anyone have any info on this place?
© Wirral-Wikiwirral