Forums
Posted By: derekdwc 3 queries Park Road South/West - 20th Jul 2012 2:35pm
1 I went past this lodge on the bus and thought I saw the date as 1827.Is there a possibility it belonged to a big house
2 What used to be on the empty concreted space at the top of Ashville Road by the roundabout.
3 On the map 1876 were Cannon Hill and Cannon Mount actual buildings at one time

Attached picture 1 lodge.jpg
Attached picture 2 the lodge park road south.jpg
Attached picture 3 the lodge 1827.jpg
Attached picture 4 330444_388800 poss lodge 1876.jpg
Attached picture 1 330600_388700 cannon hill 1876.jpg
Posted By: derekdwc Re: 3 queries Park Road South/West - 20th Jul 2012 2:42pm
google view by roundabout

Some years since I've been to Birkenhead Park and was wondering if the toilets/changing rooms by the swings had been demolished
and possibly if new ones built.
from the pdf I mentioned in previous post

"Demolitions, incl. lavatory block & ‘changing room’ in Education’s sports field"

the cannons

Attached picture 1 Ashville road corner.jpg
Attached picture 2 Ashville road corner.jpg
Posted By: RedLance Re: 3 queries Park Road South/West - 20th Jul 2012 3:04pm
the concreted space used to be Tennis Courts about 4 courts if I remember correctly, they were hard courts and were used by both Park High and St Anselms
Posted By: Capt_America Re: 3 queries Park Road South/West - 20th Jul 2012 3:11pm
There were big posh houses all the way along here. One of my relatives was a housemaid in the 1891 census at No 5 Cannon Hill. Her father worked in the same house as a groom.
Posted By: lizzie271 Re: 3 queries Park Road South/West - 20th Jul 2012 6:25pm
the address for that building was 2a cannon hill,it housed stables for the gentry who lived in the big house behind,later it was used as a taxi office untill it was converted by john palmer in 1961/2 he gave it the appearence of a bungalow,but half of the house is below ground.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: 3 queries Park Road South/West - 20th Jul 2012 6:37pm
"half of the house is below ground" ? Interesting.... That warrants investigating surely ??
Posted By: workinclasshero Re: 3 queries Park Road South/West - 20th Jul 2012 9:27pm
the old big buildings in your picture is flats which are called canon hill and canon mount and to the left of the lodge where there is a new block of flats used to be a club called the great western
Posted By: Sneezy Re: 3 queries Park Road South/West - 21st Jul 2012 8:30am
Fascinating to hear that half of the "bungalow" is below ground....would love to be able to have a look at it inside smile
Posted By: derekdwc Re: 3 queries Park Road South/West - 21st Jul 2012 10:45am
I have always thought of Cannon Hill from the 1960s as the football pitch that had a slope just by the swings and toilets/changing rooms.
The other pitch being the cinder pitch (ouch)

google blair athol,birkenhead to get a pdf about Birkenhead Park - quite interesting

The following shows an indication of the rate of
the introduction of sports:
 1853 – curling allowed on the upper park lake
 1854 – Cricket club permitted to play quoits
 1857 – permit system put in place for fishing in the lower lake
 1858 – plot of land allocated for archery
 1861 – plot of land set aside for football (previously prohibited)
Posted By: lizzie271 Re: 3 queries Park Road South/West - 21st Jul 2012 3:33pm
my husband told me the path on the right of the bungalow went down and behind it,where the horses were kept(out of site),he worked on the building when it was being built
Posted By: lizzie271 Re: 3 queries Park Road South/West - 21st Jul 2012 6:31pm
I meant to say when it was being renovated not built, apologies
Posted By: Erainn Re: 3 queries Park Road South/West - 18th Aug 2012 9:38am
Cinders indeed,and if my memory is not at fault the other pitch was prone to being somewhat boggy/muddy, hence if we could get away with it a better location was either on (that's if 'Slim Jim' did not get you)the outfield of the cricket pitch, or that spot in the first field, down by the lake.
Posted By: derekdwc Re: 3 queries Park Road South/West - 18th Aug 2012 3:11pm
On the Lodge pic the date is definitely 1827 checked out again - no need to go to specsavers yet.
May call in there sometime and ask if the owner knows why and if I can have a look around at the underground part.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral