Forums
Posted By: julie253 BRICKWORKS - LEASOWE ROAD - 14th Jul 2012 4:33pm
Does anyone know the history of the brickworks on Leasowe Road? (Heyes Drive). There seems to be very little information on line and I would love to see some pictures and know the history. Thanks.
Posted By: Snodvan Re: BRICKWORKS - LEASOWE ROAD - 14th Jul 2012 7:14pm
Barker & Jones as I remember the place. When Mr Jones died his share went to his sons, one of whom was a colleague of mine. My colleague wanted nowt to do with a brickworks and sold his share - living comfortably on the procedes for ever after. The clay source ran out a short time later or the brick problems caused a decline in the business.

Barker & Jones made faced bricks with the brand name Autumntint. My house was built with them (1953) and they were C**P bricks. Either the clay was bad or the kiln process was bad but the brick faces fall off at the slightest bit of damp/ frost. I have had to replace dozens of them from my house structure and have rebuilt almost all the garden walls.

I THINK an allied firm was Barker & Dobson in Moreton and that their bricks were OK.

Sorry, no pics.

Snod
Posted By: Anonymous Re: BRICKWORKS - LEASOWE ROAD - 14th Jul 2012 10:11pm
julie i did try to pm you, the 253 is not your house number is it? as its my old house in late 70s and all 80s. our house or yours as i think(could be very wrong) was built from bricks from the brick works and all the side wall. pm me let me know mark
Posted By: alann Re: BRICKWORKS - LEASOWE ROAD - 14th Jul 2012 10:24pm
I THINK an allied firm was Barker &
Dobson in Moreton and that their bricks
were OK

It was Barker & Briscoe, works entrance was on the Meols stretch..

Posted By: Roslynmuse Re: BRICKWORKS - LEASOWE ROAD - 14th Jul 2012 11:01pm
I think Barker and Dobson made boiled sweets! (Hard as bricks...)
Posted By: pablo42 Re: BRICKWORKS - LEASOWE ROAD - 15th Jul 2012 1:48pm
Have a look on a thread I've just posted called Leasowe Road. The brickworks are on the photo, but I can't make them out meself
Posted By: julie253 Re: BRICKWORKS - LEASOWE ROAD - 15th Jul 2012 4:04pm
Thanks everyone - Mark will pm you now.
Posted By: Snodvan Re: BRICKWORKS - LEASOWE ROAD - 17th Jul 2012 5:47pm
Originally Posted by Roslynmuse
I think Barker and Dobson made boiled sweets! (Hard as bricks...)

PMSL - a "senior moment". I have lots of 'em

Snod
Posted By: ASE71 Re: BRICKWORKS - LEASOWE ROAD - 17th Jul 2012 9:02pm
Originally Posted by markw2621
julie i did try to pm you, the 253 is not your house number is it? as its my old house in late 70s and all 80s. our house or yours as i think(could be very wrong) was built from bricks from the brick works and all the side wall. pm me let me know mark

I believe the Stone family used to live there?
© Wirral-Wikiwirral