Forums
Posted By: Roslynmuse Mill Lane hospital garden fete - 18th Jun 2012 10:46am
I remember sometime in the late 60s or very early 70s going to a garden fete of some sort in the hospital grounds of Mill Lane/Highfield Maternity Hospital in Wallasey. Anyone else remember anything like that? Was it a one-off or an annual event?
Posted By: kenmo52 Re: Mill Lane hospital garden fete - 18th Jun 2012 11:44am
I worked at VCH for many years. The summer fete was an annual thing and like a lot of the older customs it was an excellent event with many different activities. I used to get to meet a lot of local celebrities too, the last one I remember meeting there was Jason McAteer who then played for Liverpool, I worked with his Mum.
It all sadly came to a finish when the old Victorian buildings were demolished.
Posted By: j_demo Re: Mill Lane hospital garden fete - 18th Jun 2012 12:32pm
Originally Posted by kenmo52
It all sadly came to a finish when the old Victorian buildings were demolished.

not all the victorian buildings have been demolished!

the Highfield Centre is still at the back, it's now a community mental health team. there's also the respiratory unit there but not sure on the name of that building, the rest of it is new, only them 2 buildings remain from teh original hospital.
Posted By: Roslynmuse Re: Mill Lane hospital garden fete - 18th Jun 2012 10:49pm
Thanks for this - hadn't realised they went on as long as they did. Don't remember much about the one I went to (I must have been about five) except that it was a scorcher of a day!
© Wirral-Wikiwirral