Forums
Posted By: holmes3 Finding grandad? - 28th Apr 2012 9:42am
sherlockHello Happy Wirral,I wonder if any one could help me find out what happened to my grandad Albert Holmes? He disappeared from the Tranmere Birkenhead area c.1910 leaving grandma Flora with 5 children to bring up on her own. He was about 46 yeras old, a book bnder all his life. Have tried all the usual records and family members . No body knows anything about him.I am looking for book binding companies around the early 1900's in Birkenhead. Thank you.
Posted By: granny Re: Finding grandad? - 29th Apr 2012 11:56am
How about trying Liverpool Central Library. They still do bookbinding there and possibly, may have access to records. Might be an option if nothing else turns up.
Posted By: nightwalker Re: Finding grandad? - 29th Apr 2012 1:15pm
Gore's Directory, Liverpool & Suburbs 1911. Not a lot in Birkenhead but could he have worked in Liverpool?

Attached picture Gore's 1911.jpg
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Finding grandad? - 29th Apr 2012 1:50pm
1916 Wilmers Birkenhead Street Directory

Attached picture book binders.jpg
Posted By: Laraine Re: Finding grandad? - 29th Apr 2012 5:11pm
This one

BIRTH: 6 Dec 1864
MARRIAGE: 6 Jul 1894 - West Bromwich
DEATH: Birkenhead, Cheshire, England
PARENTS: Henry Warman Holmes, Matilda Wittin
SPOUSE: Flora Peters
Posted By: bert1 Re: Finding grandad? - 29th Apr 2012 6:25pm
No Albert Holmes died in Birkenhead with a suitable age match between 1910 and 1966, only one died in Birkenhead between those dates and he was new born, the others who deaths were registered in Cheshire are not the right age for a birth 1865 ish.
Posted By: TommyO Re: Finding grandad? - 30th Apr 2012 10:39am
If he was born elsewhere, like Birmingham, maybe when he left he returned to that area and his family?
Posted By: granny Re: Finding grandad? - 1st May 2012 10:23pm
Have you tried the 1911 census? If you have his birth date and place of birth, he could turn up somewhere, unless he went to sea.
Posted By: holmes3 Re: Finding grandad? - 11th May 2012 2:45pm
Thank you very much for this I will try it.
Posted By: holmes3 Re: Finding grandad? - 11th May 2012 3:19pm
Yes I have looked on the 1911 census for Birkenhead and he is not on it but the family he left behind are. Is there a general index of names for the whole of the country I could look at instead of just looking under Birkenhead.?
Posted By: holmes3 Re: Finding grandad? - 11th May 2012 3:24pm
Yes that would have been possible. He was infact born in Birmingham. But wouldn't someone in the family have told his wife in Birkenhead. I have been in touch with all the cousins etc who are descended from Albert's brothers and sisters and nobody has ever heard of him.For the 1911 census would Birmingham have been divided up into areas or was it just all Birmingham and again would it have been indexed?
Posted By: holmes3 Re: Finding grandad? - 11th May 2012 3:29pm
Thank you for this list of Book Binders, it's very kind of you to send me this. I will investigate them. Dorah
Posted By: holmes3 Re: Finding grandad? - 11th May 2012 3:31pm
Yes this is my Albert but his death wasn't registered anywhere. Birkenhead has been suggested by some relatives researching our family history but it is not correct.
Posted By: holmes3 Re: Finding grandad? - 11th May 2012 3:37pm
Thank you so much for this suggestion I will certainly try it. Much appreciated...Dorah
Posted By: EDGES Re: Finding grandad? - 22nd Jun 2012 3:50pm
My mother was a bookbinder c1910 for Wilmer Bros. Birkenhead.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral