Forums
Posted By: Patchthedog Strongman "Bob Strong" Birkenhead Market?? - 21st Apr 2012 4:54pm
Hi,I'm in my fiftes and I remember my dad telling me about some strongman type of act at the old birkenhead market.My dad also mentioned that there were other circus type acts there as well,he might have made it up to entertain me as well,were there any of these things there?,it would have late 20's to 30's I guess.
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Strongman "Bob Strong" Birkenhead Market?? - 21st Apr 2012 5:29pm
Vaguely remember at the Pier Head a fellow who used to have a pavement slab on his chest which another fellow used smash with a sledgehammer
Posted By: bert1 Re: Strongman "Bob Strong" Birkenhead Market?? - 21st Apr 2012 5:40pm
Some of the stall holders on the outside market were certainly like circus acts, there were some expert jugglers and very funny men. It was their way of gathering a crowd to sell their wares, providing you never bought anything, it was brilliant free entertainment.
Posted By: chriskay Re: Strongman "Bob Strong" Birkenhead Market?? - 21st Apr 2012 6:09pm
Yes, and one of the favourite tricks, especially on a Saturday evening, was for them to smash a few plates, shouting "well, I'm not taking 'em back". People couldn't stand to see stuff broken and would start to buy.
Posted By: gypsyjune Re: Strongman "Bob Strong" Birkenhead Market?? - 21st Apr 2012 6:19pm
Sounds like a normal night in Birkenhead these days ,sorry if i`m off topic
Posted By: yoller Re: Strongman "Bob Strong" Birkenhead Market?? - 22nd Apr 2012 8:45am
From Carol E Bidston’s book Birkenhead In Times Past (1978), writing about the square at the back of the market: ‘At one time, around the 1870s, a fair used to be held in the Square on a Saturday night. According to contemporary reports, the boys of the neighbourhood used to enjoy watching the smashing of crockery by the Rock Auctioneer, who, when he couldn’t get the price for his wares, threw them on to the cobblestones. At election times during the last century, hustings were erected in the Square. The proceedings were rough and at times riotous, but generally good-humoured.’

… I remember as a child in the 50s, when we used to go over on the ferry to Liverpool of a Sunday, there would often be an escapologist performing on the Pier Head.
His assistant would secure him in a straitjacket and wrap chains around him, which were locked together. Then he’d wriggle and writhe on the ground and somehow get free. It was really impressive. The audience would then throw money into a hat.
However, such acts were illegal and the two performers sometimes had to do an even faster escape act when they saw a policeman coming along!
© Wirral-Wikiwirral