Forums
Posted By: granny Old Painting - 14th Apr 2012 7:16am
Just found out how to put pics on here.
Please can anyone tell me anything about the house?

Attached picture img300.jpg
Posted By: hoseman Re: Old Painting - 14th Apr 2012 7:26am
Is that meant to be New Brighton?
Partial erection of Tower and Pier in background?
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Old Painting - 14th Apr 2012 7:31am
will get my parents to look at it later when they call over, they might have some ideas. will get back to you
Posted By: fizzbomb120 Re: Old Painting - 14th Apr 2012 7:38am
reminded me of the view from down on new ferry shore ( where the buffs use to be ) looking towards rock ferry old shore, the jetty.
But then seen that tower thing lol
Posted By: granny Re: Old Painting - 14th Apr 2012 8:24am
Yes, it is and as there is another with the tower at a different point of erection,so I assume they were painted as seen at the time.
The little children look so pretty, don't you think?

Thanks for your interest and replies peeps.

Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Old Painting - 14th Apr 2012 8:51am
Where did you find that picture granny?

Interesting find.
Posted By: cadbury Re: Old Painting - 14th Apr 2012 9:02am
The 1875 Tithe maps show a building called Kirkdale Cottage on the site of Dalmorten Road. Maybe this is the building in the picture?

Tithe Maps
Posted By: Geekus Re: Old Painting - 14th Apr 2012 9:14am
Looks like the bottom of Magazine Lane. The wall resembles the Magazines (note the defensive grass embankment on the left behind the wall). The wooded area is were Vale Park is now.

There used to be a school down there (New Brighton College) which stood roughly where the shelter is now. The building was demolished in 1899. I believe the house in your picture stood next door (possibly the school master's house?). If so, the picture probably dates from late 1899 or early 1900 as this would tie in with the school's disappearance and the construction of the Tower.
Posted By: Helles Re: Old Painting - 14th Apr 2012 10:31am
Surely the top of the tower is in the clouds and not half built?
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Old Painting - 14th Apr 2012 1:29pm
Thought the tower looked like an early version of "Paddy's Wigwam". Looks partially built to me. I used to live in the Buffs Club as the caretaker and it looked like that area to me at first. It looks more like the pier than Rock Ferry jetty so I'd plump for NB.
Just paid 18 squid for a print of the Priory, they wanted 42 for a print of New Brighton, beyond my pocket. That picture is worth something to somebody should imagine, looks nice.
Posted By: marty99fred Re: Old Painting - 14th Apr 2012 3:09pm
I think Geekus is right in that the view is meant to be from the bottom of Magazine Lane and that the house is what was left of what had been New Brighton College (see engraving below).

The college was opened in January 1854 by Rev Dr Dominick Poggi in what had been a hotel, variously named as the New Brighton Hotel or the Royal Hotel. Dr Poggi had previously run a boarding-school at Seacombe House, Seacombe, since the late 1840s. According to advertisements, the college provided "a complete course of Education, qualifying Young Gentlemen for the Universities, the Military or Naval Services, the Medical and other Learned Professions, or for engaging in Commercial Pursuits." It's most famous pupil was probably Ricciotti Garibaldi, the youngest son of the Italian patriot and politician Giuseppe Garibaldi, who was taught there from 1857 to 1861.

During the evening of 27th October 1862 fire broke out in the top floors of the building, possibly as the result of a gas explosion, and, fanned by a strong wind off the river, soon took hold. Dr Poggi and his family (including his eight children), and all of the staff and 24 pupils managed to escape, but by the following morning the main building was a smouldering ruin consisting of just the exterior walls. The only relatively undamaged parts were the back kitchen and stable (which you can see at the rear of the property in the engraving). The remains of the college were sold at auction in February 1863; the ruins were apparently dismantled and salvaged for building material, whilst the stable was converted into the house in the painting.

Attached picture New Brighton College.jpg
Attached picture New Brighton map.jpg
Posted By: Norton Re: Old Painting - 14th Apr 2012 3:12pm
I'd tend to go with Geekus on this. There is also a possibility that it could have been painted as seen from the bottom of Holland Rd.
On the left there is the outline of a house, basically just a slate colour, veiled by some branches and what looks like a white cloud behind it. I think that the house may be Vale House in Vale Park. The only problem is that cloud, because from the painters viewpoint it should have been rising ground all the way up the hill to near where St Peters & St Pauls church is now built.
I don't know at present just how far the line of sand went, but there is a mark (possibly a high water mark) carved into the wall of the Magazines at the bottom of Magazine Lane.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Old Painting - 14th Apr 2012 4:18pm
amazing stuff guys, be interesting to find out who the painter was too and if they were local.
Posted By: granny Re: Old Painting - 14th Apr 2012 8:05pm
Thanks guys, amazing information there,this is looking towards New Brighton, forgot to mention that in the original. sorry. The picture is one of twelve painted(originally 24 I believe) and given to my grandparents as a wedding present in 1899. The others are of various locations around Wallasey, New Brighton and Bidston. Twelve of them were apparently donated by a member of the family to Williamson Art Gallery many moons ago and I'v never been able to trace them.
I have no idea who the artist is so don't know if they were local or not, but would imagine so. Rumour had it, that it was the brother of the Bishop of York who painted them, but after doing family history there was marriage in 1837 to one Sarah Bishop. So that was probably all crap. They were all framed in ugly heavy gilt frames, which my sister has claimed, and all the pictures need a jolly good clean. More than that I cannot add.
I shall post another shortly of a similar view.
Posted By: granny Re: Old Painting - 14th Apr 2012 8:13pm
Next one.

Attached picture img305.jpg
Posted By: Geekus Re: Old Painting - 14th Apr 2012 9:17pm
Following up on Marty's comments, I've had a quick look in my copy of 'The Rise & Progress' and found a bit more info on the history of the house.

First recorded on the 1841 Tithe Map as Liscard Hotel, by 1857 it had become known as the New Brighton Hotel, and after that The Stanley Arms. It was subsequently opened as a school by Dr Poggi and flourished as such
up until 1964. After the fire of 1864, the part of the building that was left was used as a baker's shop and flour warehouse.

According to Noel Smith's book 'Almost An Island', the Baker's shop and warehouse part of the building was eventually demolished in 1899. So, bearing in mind that construction of the Tower began in 1897 and took three years to complete, the picture probably dates from 1898 or 1899, particularly as the view of the Tower in the painting is seen in the final stages of completion.
Posted By: Helles Re: Old Painting - 14th Apr 2012 9:20pm
Well that one the tower is definitely half built. Note half built not half knocked down because painted in 1899 and wasn't demolished until 1921.

Lovely things to have.
Posted By: Geekus Re: Old Painting - 14th Apr 2012 9:30pm
Considering the amount of work which must have gone into building the ballroom and buildings at the base of the Tower, I'm guessing it was closer to completion than we would imagine!

The second of granny's pictures obviously shows an earlier phase of construction than the first though.
Posted By: Geekus Re: Old Painting - 14th Apr 2012 9:42pm
Originally Posted by Geekus
It was subsequently opened as a school by Dr Poggi and flourished as such
up until 1964.

Sorry, that should read 1864, although Marty's source for a date of 1862 might be more accurate or reliable than 'The Rise & Progress' book.
Posted By: granny Re: Old Painting - 14th Apr 2012 9:56pm
I'm really at a loss. At one point after reading a book(can't remember which one) I thought as someone else posted it could have been Kirkland Cottage, and then changed my mind. It looks as if 'The Eternal One' (Geekus) is on the right track, so it's in all of your capable hands and I will agree with whatever you decide.
We must also remember that although they were a wedding present of that year, they may have been painted earlier than 1899.

Nice pics they are, I love them and they sit in a cupboard! A couple are quite large.
Posted By: Geekus Re: Old Painting - 14th Apr 2012 10:15pm
Next time you're down in that area of the prom take a look at the seaward wall of the Magazine (behind the War Memorial near Vale Park). It still looks the same today.

I'm pretty sure the building in your picture was located at the bottom of Magazine Lane. Look at the picture Marty put up and you'll see that the building to the left of the main house has the same front as the one in your painting. I don't know if it was originally a stables, as Marty suggests, but it looks to have been seperate to the rest of the house, which probably explains why it survived the fire. The dates in 'The Rise & Progress' book are a little bit different to those given by Marty, but his could be the more accurate.

Anyway, great pictures gran. Thanks for sharing them with us.
Posted By: granny Re: Old Painting - 14th Apr 2012 10:38pm
Thanks Geekus and Marty, it's really appreciated and all the help from each one of you.
Always nice to have a puzzle, but even nicer to solve it. I will take your advice and have a trip in the next few weeks.

Posted By: granny Re: Old Painting - 15th Apr 2012 9:24am
Yes, in the light of day it's possible to see the very same building as the one Marty mentioned. Was squinting last night with these terrible bulbs we have to use now. It seems we have to use twice as many bulbs to get half the light. Gas light was better I'm sure!

Fantastic, and thanks Marty.
Posted By: marty99fred Re: Old Painting - 15th Apr 2012 5:28pm
Originally Posted by Geekus
Following up on Marty's comments, I've had a quick look in my copy of 'The Rise & Progress' and found a bit more info on the history of the house.

First recorded on the 1841 Tithe Map as Liscard Hotel, by 1857 it had become known as the New Brighton Hotel, and after that The Stanley Arms. It was subsequently opened as a school by Dr Poggi and flourished as such
up until 1964. After the fire of 1864, the part of the building that was left was used as a baker's shop and flour warehouse.

The Hotel on the shore at the Magazines was a little older than Woods & Brown suggest; it is clearly marked on Jonathan Bennison's map of Liverpool which was published in September 1835, with the owner indicated as I. (or J.) Davies. The building was advertised to let as the Royal Hotel, Liscard, in early 1839 (though the description "new" clearly needs to be taken with a pinch of salt!). When Dr Poggi took over the premises it was described as either the Royal Hotel or the New Brighton Hotel, so I have no idea whether it was ever called the Stanley Arms.

A detailed account of the fire appeared in the Liverpool Mercury on Wednesday, 29th October 1862, so it certainly didn't burn down in 1864. When the remains of the property were put up for auction in 1863 they were described as a "Cottage and Stable, and the remaining walls of the Dwelling House...lately occupied by the Rev. Dominick Poggi", but I haven't found any evidence of what the cottage was used for after it was sold.

Attached picture Mercury 26-04-1839.jpg
Attached picture Mecury 29-10-1862a.jpg
Posted By: marty99fred Re: Old Painting - 15th Apr 2012 5:58pm
Your second painting is certainly a little easier to place! The terrace at left is Marine Terrace, situated between Hertford Drive and Holland Road. This photo shows the same section of the foreshore in about 1898, looking in the opposite direction from the beach in front of Magazine Brow.

Attached picture P&S 942.jpg
Posted By: granny Re: Old Painting - 15th Apr 2012 7:12pm
So interesting Marty, and how lucky they all were. Maybe gas lights are not the answer! Can't imagine how long it took the firebrigade to get there from Birkenhead. Did they pull their engines then?
This picture is of a very similar view as yours. Not much happening in Liverpool, by the looks of it.
Will the little path on the extreme right lead to the boat house? The building on the very end of the right hand side looks as if it has a barn type door at the front. Could that be the boathouse?

Attached picture img306.jpg
Posted By: Geekus Re: Old Painting - 15th Apr 2012 7:22pm
Excellent photo Marty, thanks for putting it up for us to see.

At least we now know that the info in 'The Rise & Progress' isn't always accurate. Noel Smith must have used the dates supplied by 'The Rise & Progress' for his own book 'Almost An Island' as he makes the same mistake in saying that the fire happened in 1864.
Posted By: marty99fred Re: Old Painting - 15th Apr 2012 8:09pm
That's a pretty close match to the photo, but about 50 yards or so further along the beach towards Egremont (you can just make out the Ferry Pier in the distance. I think the path at the right is simply the bottom end of Holland Road coming down to the foreshore; all of this changed shortly afterwards, of course, when the Prom was built. The green patch at extreme right is presumably the same grassed area that can be seen in front of the closest houses in my photo.
Posted By: granny Re: Old Painting - 15th Apr 2012 8:31pm
They must have been standing in the same place. Wierd isn't it? Well, thanks again Marty, you've been really helpful. clap
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Old Painting - 16th Apr 2012 3:35pm
Must remember too that paintings are not always 100% accurate depictions. An artist will sometimes alter the view if he thinks it will look better, artistic license if you will. The clues are always there though. Good thread.
Posted By: paxvobiscum Re: Old Painting - 18th Apr 2012 10:54am
Are these Hopps Paintings as he did alot of paintings of Wallasey?
Posted By: granny Re: Old Painting - 18th Apr 2012 1:38pm
Originally Posted by paxvobiscum
Are these Hopps Paintings as he did alot of paintings of Wallasey?

No Paxvo. The initials are R M G and I can't find anything, so assume he/she was just somebody local who liked painting. Don't think they are worth a bean, to be truthful, but if they were Hopps paintings, they would be worth a bit more than a bean!
© Wirral-Wikiwirral