Forums
Posted By: challo water pumping station - 4th Apr 2012 2:24pm
Hi all
if you know new brighton you'll know the dips, half way along the dips there is a water pumping station set back although it looks like the toilet block at the far end and like the chip and putt hut was it ever a toilet block (argument with a friend)
Posted By: j_demo Re: water pumping station - 4th Apr 2012 2:55pm
no, it was ALWAYS a pumping station, they were all just designed the same for continuity reasons. even the seating area (oppositte the toilets) was built the same time to look the same.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: water pumping station - 4th Apr 2012 4:27pm
yeah lived in that area till i was in my thirties, never toilets. max
Posted By: challo Re: water pumping station - 4th Apr 2012 7:09pm
thanks max & jawide thought I was right but I bet I need it in writing thanks anyway . challo
Posted By: Helles Re: water pumping station - 4th Apr 2012 7:44pm
I may be wrong but I am sure that this particular building is relatively new and not part of the original 1930's construction. Granted the style is the same but I think it is very recent?
Posted By: davew3 Re: water pumping station - 4th Apr 2012 9:46pm
Thought it was an interception sewer built when NWWA were cleaning up the Mersey, it's certainly not on an air photo from 1946, the air photo is on a topic somewhere about the anti aircraft guns supposedly on the bowling greens but were more or less on the roundabout where that so called steel clown is.
Posted By: challo Re: water pumping station - 5th Apr 2012 7:54am
many thanks helles & davew3 for your reply needs a bit more research I think before they believe me will try and find this air photo plus I believe there is a chap called mike kemble that does a lot of photo research he might help many thanks again take care. challo
Posted By: Tatey Re: water pumping station - 5th Apr 2012 4:22pm
Originally Posted by challo
Hi all
if you know new brighton you'll know the dips, half way along the dips there is a water pumping station set back although it looks like the toilet block at the far end and like the chip and putt hut was it ever a toilet block (argument with a friend)

United Utilities built the Wallasey Detention Tank in 1996 to reduce the number of discharges into the sea during storms & so improve bathing water quality. happy
Posted By: Martin1943 Re: water pumping station - 5th Apr 2012 9:01pm
All the so-called "dips" were gun emplacements and associated underground storage and chambers. When I was at St Georges in the '50s they were weakly fenced off with wire and very accesible: also very smelly.
Posted By: davew3 Re: water pumping station - 5th Apr 2012 11:05pm
Airphoto of dips taken I think in 1947.

https://www.wikiwirral.co.uk/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/287342/10.html

scroll down to bottom ish.
Posted By: Tatey Re: water pumping station - 6th Apr 2012 5:50am
Originally Posted by Martin1943
All the so-called "dips" were gun emplacements and associated underground storage and chambers. When I was at St Georges in the '50s they were weakly fenced off with wire and very accesible: also very smelly.

I think it was probably around 1953 that I used to play in the concrete bases of the HAA gun site at New Brighton (that's all that was left then)& it was situated in what is now part of the miniature golf course, before & South of the clown roundabout. In those days there was nothing else built on the so called "dips" at all. I was also at St. Georges. smile
Posted By: challo Re: water pumping station - 6th Apr 2012 2:22pm
well well well I was right can't wait to see them.thats great of you to look and find all this info many thanks again.Right I,m off to kick arse. challo
Posted By: Tatey Re: water pumping station - 7th Apr 2012 7:27am
Originally Posted by challo
well well well I was right can't wait to see them.thats great of you to look and find all this info many thanks again.Right I,m off to kick arse. challo

Enjoy! thumbsup
© Wirral-Wikiwirral