Forums
Posted By: Snodvan DANGER ! (Danger Lane) - 27th Mar 2012 10:16am
OK, the title grabbed your attention perhaps. The real question is

Why is Danger Lane in Moreton so called?
What was 'dangerous'?

I cannot see a lane getting a name like that unless there really was some hazard (pits, marshes etc) or the name 'Danger' is a corruption of some other word. The lane has been there with that name for a long time ie probably 150 years at least.

Snod
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: DANGER ! (Danger Lane) - 27th Mar 2012 11:04am
There are two ditches either side of the lane where numerous cars and people have fallen into, maybe years back horses and carts have fallen into said ditches and that maybe where the name originated from?

Have you ever ventured down there?

Pretty bad to drive down being bumpy and full of gravel.
Posted By: derekdwc Re: DANGER ! (Danger Lane) - 27th Mar 2012 11:27am
Are you on about Danger Lane where the Sacred Hearts school is snodvan?
Where are you talking about ste?

edited forgot question marks
Posted By: delta6 Re: DANGER ! (Danger Lane) - 27th Mar 2012 11:28am
think ste is talking about ditton lane mate
Posted By: bert1 Re: DANGER ! (Danger Lane) - 27th Mar 2012 11:42am
Danger is a corruption of the Norse word Dangker, Viking settlements in the area might of thought that area was dangerous with it being marshlands but according to my translator the word would have been fare or farene to describe DANGER.
Posted By: little_pob Re: DANGER ! (Danger Lane) - 27th Mar 2012 11:57am
According to Doctor_Frick's website it was originally called Dangers Lane: http://www.oldwirral.com/moreton2.html
Posted By: carole696 Re: DANGER ! (Danger Lane) - 27th Mar 2012 12:08pm
maybe it was due to the bull baiting in the early days maybe the bulls went down that way
Posted By: Moonstar Re: DANGER ! (Danger Lane) - 27th Mar 2012 12:10pm
Maybe the family Dangers (hard or soft sounding 'g') lived down there.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: DANGER ! (Danger Lane) - 27th Mar 2012 12:31pm
Originally Posted by delta6
think ste is talking about ditton lane mate
smack my mistake, sorry.

blush
Posted By: bert1 Re: DANGER ! (Danger Lane) - 27th Mar 2012 1:01pm
It may have been a corruption of the word Dansker which means Danes, The first Vikings believed to be Danish may have just named that particular area after themselves.
Posted By: Snodvan Re: DANGER ! (Danger Lane) - 27th Mar 2012 1:46pm
Vikings tended to go for higher ground, even hilltops, and I would have thought the often marshy nature of that bit of Wirral would hold few attractions for them. There would not even have been a particularly easy access to the sea from there (albeit that coast lines will have changed a lot).

Another point is that a Google etc does not turn up many places/ roads called Danger Lane. If the "invaders", Viking or otherwise, were a derivation then I would have expected a few more. If we discount the Austrailan and US Danger Lanes then the main hits are really all for Moreton.

I could do with some old maps of the area - there are some on the web eg tithe maps, but they do not show anything special other than a few ponds.

Just confused and inquisitive. Old census records say I had relatives living there.

Snod
Posted By: Salmon Re: DANGER ! (Danger Lane) - 27th Mar 2012 2:25pm
At the end of Danger Lane there used to be an unmanned level crossing, prior to Cadbury's so maybe that is where the name from.
Posted By: Snodvan Re: DANGER ! (Danger Lane) - 27th Mar 2012 3:32pm
It was called Danger Lane long before the railway - which came in 1863
Posted By: bert1 Re: DANGER ! (Danger Lane) - 27th Mar 2012 3:40pm
I remember looking at this on the Fender thread, Snod can I draw your attention to 47, not much I know.

http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/ncmh/harding_pdfs/Paper357.pdf
Posted By: Geekus Re: DANGER ! (Danger Lane) - 27th Mar 2012 3:50pm
Originally Posted by Salmon
At the end of Danger Lane there used to be an unmanned level crossing, prior to Cadbury's so maybe that is where the name from.

I'm pretty sure it was called Danger Lane quite some time before the Railways arrived.

Bert is probably nearest the mark. There are lots of Carr place-names in the area and Danger Lane is believed to be a corruption of Dang-ker, or Dans-kar Lane. The local dialect probably just made the name sound more like danger.
Posted By: Snodvan Re: DANGER ! (Danger Lane) - 27th Mar 2012 7:30pm
I will 'go' with Bert's response as well. So, a phonetic corruption of an old name and nothing to do with actual danger.

Thanks Bert

Snod
Posted By: Roslynmuse Re: DANGER ! (Danger Lane) - 27th Mar 2012 10:04pm
I've enjoyed this thread! I remember when I was a boy getting the old Crosville bus (F34??) to West Kirby from Wallasey and always enjoying seeing that odd road name, and it brought those memories back nicely!
Posted By: eggandchips Re: DANGER ! (Danger Lane) - 28th Mar 2012 11:54am
according to my dad, long time since passed away, there was a 'danger farm' hence the name.
we lived in pasture avenue from the early 50's
there was also a ' pasture farm' hence pasture road, pasture crescent and pasture avenue,

if this aint right, take it up with the 'ald fella
© Wirral-Wikiwirral