Forums
Posted By: debs54 WEST KIRBY - 25th Mar 2012 1:46am
hi everyone,does anyone know the history of the White Lion
pub in West Kirby and how old the pub is.
many thanks
Debs
Posted By: Geekus Re: west kirby - 25th Mar 2012 9:04am
Derek has it listed on the pubs thread but as yet no information has been submitted.

https://www.wikiwirral.co.uk/forums...ite_Lion_Inn_Grange_Hill.html#Post310728

The end cottage was certainly being used as a pub in the 1890's. There's a photo of it from 1891 in Ian Boumphrey's book Yesterday's West Wirral (part two).

You could try checking on Cheshire Tithe Maps to see if it was there in the 1840's or 50's. I'm sure someone on here will know more.

Posted By: Clive Re: WEST KIRBY - 25th Mar 2012 10:12am
Here’s the White Lion pub at the bottom of Grange Hill in around 1967-68. As you can see, the place was having a bit of a Changing Rooms makeover! I take it this place has always just been a pub

Attached picture white-lion.jpg
Posted By: Greenwood Re: WEST KIRBY - 25th Mar 2012 11:13pm
I don't know how old it is, but I do remember visiting the Charles Dawson museum in West Kirby and being told that bodies washed up on the coast were taken there temporarily, as it had deep cellars that were cool. That would indicate it went back a fair bit, but how long, I don't know. Might be worth checking old maps of the area?
Posted By: Tatey Re: WEST KIRBY - 26th Mar 2012 6:10am
Unless I am reading the Tithe Maps of 1836-51, the building is listed as a house & garden, not as a pub.
Posted By: debs54 Re: WEST KIRBY - 26th Mar 2012 7:52am
Thank you for your help.much appreciated.
Debs
Posted By: Chopper1979 Re: west kirby - 26th Mar 2012 8:14pm
Love West Kirby and its interesting history- I should really spend more time investigating myself- let me know if you find out about the white lion
© Wirral-Wikiwirral