4 historic parks
2 watermills
1 castle
1 fort

Impressive, huh? smile
Posted By: cathcart Re: Worthy of making a list? - 28th Feb 2012 8:26pm
plus one great football club.
Posted By: davew3 Re: Worthy of making a list? - 28th Feb 2012 9:39pm
I get the impression the politicians don't give a toss about the one fort, we tried to get a slice of some money that became available for English resorts for the Titanic Radio room were doing at the one fort and got told we are not diverse enough, ex mariners and ex Marconi radio officers and radio hams, we are still doing it with our own money and what people have given us, we are still not diverse enough according to our delightful council.
Posted By: songbird Re: Worthy of making a list? - 29th Feb 2012 7:10am
10 lighthouses

The coast of the Wirral was once protected by seven lighthouses. Today, only five survive and are, sadly, no longer operational. They are situated at Hoylake, Moreton, Bidston, New Brighton and Whitby. The additional lights were at Hoylake and Leasowe of which little or nothing now remains,
were are the others
Posted By: OxtonHill Re: Worthy of making a list? - 29th Feb 2012 8:09am
Also:

Wirral has more horses per head of population than anywhere else in the UK.
Posted By: AR_One Re: Worthy of making a list? - 29th Feb 2012 8:53am
Originally Posted by OxtonHill
Also:

Wirral has more horses per head of population than anywhere else in the UK.

Wow that's a quality stat.

It's also incredibly diverse with have some Wards that are in the top 10% most affluent in the UK and some that are in the poorest 10%. Just think about the differance between Laird St and Lower Heswall.

Other facts that I know about the Wirral:

- The M53 J1 flyover has the deepest piles in the country

- For a while the Merseyrail tunnel under the Mersey had the steepest, unassisted climb of any railway in the world (don't know if that's still the case)

- Hamilton square has the largest concentration of listed buildings in one place in the UK apart from Trafalger square
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Worthy of making a list? - 29th Feb 2012 1:37pm
Other lighthouses

Hilbre
Stanlow
Red rocks(folly)
Ferry terminals(woodside, new Brighton etc)
I also think there was Another one at ellesmere port as well as whitby
Posted By: Nelzy84 Re: Worthy of making a list? - 29th Feb 2012 2:08pm
Originally Posted by davew3
I get the impression the politicians don't give a toss about the one fort, we tried to get a slice of some money that became available for English resorts for the Titanic Radio room were doing at the one fort and got told we are not diverse enough, ex mariners and ex Marconi radio officers and radio hams, we are still doing it with our own money and what people have given us, we are still not diverse enough according to our delightful council.

Not suprised at all, well done to you all for sticking at it and fronting the money yourselves happy
Posted By: chris58 Re: Worthy of making a list? - 1st Mar 2012 8:19pm
I read New Brighton has the longest promenade in UK
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Worthy of making a list? - 2nd Mar 2012 2:29am
Originally Posted by chris58
I read New Brighton has the longest promenade in UK
Blackpool's is far longer surely?
Posted By: _Moretonlad_ Re: Worthy of making a list? - 2nd Mar 2012 3:11am
You are correct New Brighton has got the longest Promenade in the UK.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wallasey#New_Brighton
Posted By: Tatey Re: Worthy of making a list? - 2nd Mar 2012 8:22am
And Trinidad has the biggest roundabout.
Posted By: Geekus Re: Worthy of making a list? - 3rd Mar 2012 9:35pm
Looking at Rude's list, I can't say I know of any watermills still existing in Wirral.

I think Bromborough watermill was the last one, and that was demolished in the late 1940's...

http://www.oldwirral.com/bromborough.html

Impressive list though!

Posted By: granny Re: Worthy of making a list? - 4th Mar 2012 11:54am
Found this on another history chat site about Raby watermill:

'Thomas Lawton had it between 1838 and at least until 1850. Died and passed it onto his daughter Martha Lawton.They also had Lawton Cottage, the boating lake and the tea rooms and were still living in Lawton Cottage until 1932 or longer'.

A bit of interest for some, maybe?
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Worthy of making a list? - 4th Mar 2012 12:06pm
Originally Posted by ProudInfidelNS

No measurements. I strongly suspect this is an Internet rumour that's grown.

If you google largest promenade Europe there are loads of claims without any distances, including Edinburgh
Posted By: granny Re: Worthy of making a list? - 4th Mar 2012 12:15pm
Originally Posted by diggingdeeper

If you google largest promenade Europe there are loads of claims without any distances, including Edinburgh

Felixstowe is about 4 miles from one end to other but has the smallest break as it goes around a corner and then joins a Vicorian promenade so that might not be counted, with similar situations elsewhere in the country.
Posted By: Geekus Re: Worthy of making a list? - 4th Mar 2012 12:26pm

There have been claims that Wallasey Promenade is the longest in Europe for years (certainly pre-google).
Noel Smith's book 'Almost An Island' states that the total length from Seacombe to Meols is 8 miles. Perhaps this has now been beaten elsewhere, but the one in Germany which is presently heralded as the longest in Europe is only 12 km (7.5 miles).

http://www.besttopnews.com/news/interesting_news/23-08-2011/89438-0
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Worthy of making a list? - 4th Mar 2012 2:36pm
But New Brighton isn't the same thing as Wallasey and if you allow overlapping towns there are a lot more contenders.
Posted By: Geekus Re: Worthy of making a list? - 4th Mar 2012 4:06pm
But New Brighton isn't the same thing as Wallasey and if you allow overlapping towns there are a lot more contenders.

You are, of course, correct and strictly speaking it is a series of promenades.

Whatever way you look at it though, Wirral is blessed. Even if it isn't the longest promenade in Europe (or perhaps the UK) it is an asset for us to be proud of. Rude's list was making the point that for, a comparatively small place, Wirral has some great history and a heck of a lot packed into it. I think most of us would agree with that.

Posted By: granny Re: Worthy of making a list? - 4th Mar 2012 4:14pm
Originally Posted by Geekus

You are, of course, correct and strictly speaking it is a series of promenades.

Whatever way you look at it though, Wirral is blessed. Even if it isn't the longest promenade in Europe (or perhaps the UK) it is an asset for us to be proud of. Rude's list was making the point that for, a comparatively small place, Wirral has some great history and a heck of a lot packed into it. I think most of us would agree with that.

Completely agree. Wirral is unique in my opinion to anywhere else in the country. We probably have the most coastline too!
Posted By: Geekus Re: Worthy of making a list? - 4th Mar 2012 4:24pm
Originally Posted by granny
Completely agree. Wirral is unique in my opinion to anywhere else in the country. We probably have the most coastline too!

Yeah! Even more than Cornwall! raftl
Posted By: granny Re: Worthy of making a list? - 4th Mar 2012 4:38pm
Originally Posted by Geekus
Originally Posted by granny

Yeah! Even more than Cornwall! raftl

Well I haven't been there! Best to ignore some of the previous post I think blush What a twit!
Posted By: Geekus Re: Worthy of making a list? - 4th Mar 2012 4:48pm
There's a nice brochure you can download on the Wirral Tourism site which has loads of quality pictures and useful info on the Wirral area. Haven't read it all yet but it gives some good examples of what makes Wirral special.

Well worth a look. Just click on the link for Wirral Visitor Guide:

http://www.visitwirral.com/
Posted By: granny Re: Worthy of making a list? - 4th Mar 2012 4:55pm
lamethrower
© Wirral-Wikiwirral