Forums
Posted By: mb2496 Can anyone help with this street name? - 31st Dec 2011 6:50pm
I have come across an 1871 census record but cannot make out the street name... can anyone make it out? It's a Birkenhead (St Anne District) street:

Attached picture Birkenhead Street Name - St Anne Disctrict.jpg
Posted By: Madge Re: Can anyone help with this street name? - 31st Dec 2011 7:07pm
possibly Harcourt street, which is very near saint anne street, its off duke street
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Can anyone help with this street name? - 31st Dec 2011 7:16pm
Possibly Harcourt St ???

On a quick search I can't find any other likely candidate.
Posted By: bert1 Re: Can anyone help with this street name? - 31st Dec 2011 7:22pm
I normally click along a page or two on the census forms to see if i can make out the next Road. Might give the necessary clue.
Posted By: Greenwood Re: Can anyone help with this street name? - 31st Dec 2011 7:41pm
Could almost be Hamond (or Hammond, spellings are not always correct)- but there's a suggestion of a capital R just before St. All part of the fun of deciphering census records! Good luck.
Posted By: yoller Re: Can anyone help with this street name? - 31st Dec 2011 9:26pm
Is it Flamank Street? There was a street of that name in the area.
Posted By: bert1 Re: Can anyone help with this street name? - 31st Dec 2011 9:58pm
Originally Posted by yoller

I agree.
Posted By: yoller Re: Can anyone help with this street name? - 31st Dec 2011 10:01pm
This is from the Birkenhead 1909 map. Flamank Street (near the junction of Arthur Street and Price Street) is certainly in St Anne's district.

Attached picture flamank2.jpg
Posted By: nightwalker Re: Can anyone help with this street name? - 1st Jan 2012 11:38am
Originally Posted by bert1
Originally Posted by yoller

I agree.

I think yoller and bert1 are right. Fairly sure that the style of writing and census transcriptions have caused problems before and been discussed in a previous post
Posted By: OxtonHill Re: Can anyone help with this street name? - 1st Jan 2012 1:31pm
It's is Flamank Street. RG10/3748.

Hammond & Harcourt streets don't exist in 1871.

If you get stuck with a street name , the best thing to post is the RG/Piece/folio number on the page, so much quicker to check the street then.

Sorry with the late post, only just noticed it.
Posted By: mb2496 Re: Can anyone help with this street name? - 1st Jan 2012 2:52pm
Thanks OxtonHill - you're spot on. I've just checked the record again and it is indeed RG10/3748. How do you go about checking the street via the RG/Piece/Folio number?

Thanks again.
Posted By: mb2496 Re: Can anyone help with this street name? - 1st Jan 2012 2:56pm
If you don't mind me asking, where/how are you accessing the old street maps?
Posted By: OxtonHill Re: Can anyone help with this street name? - 1st Jan 2012 4:33pm
Originally Posted by mb2496
How do you go about checking the street via the RG/Piece/Folio number?

I have a street index for 1871 & 1891 for Birkenhead showing all the streets with their correct RG/Piece/Folio number.
Posted By: yoller Re: Can anyone help with this street name? - 1st Jan 2012 9:16pm
You can buy the Birkenhead 1909 Ordnance Survey map and other old Wirral maps from The Godfrey Edition -

http://www.alangodfreymaps.co.uk/

... they're not dear.

Posted By: mb2496 Re: Can anyone help with this street name? - 4th Jan 2012 11:11am
yoller, is the snapshot you posted above a scan from a paper map you have? It's good quality if it is - or is there a way of obtaining digital versions of the maps too? I have had a look at the website you mentioned but all seem to be paper maps. Many thanks.
Posted By: yoller Re: Can anyone help with this street name? - 4th Jan 2012 5:30pm
The snapshot I posted is just a scan of a paper map. I don't know if digital versions are available - perhaps Godfrey's could tell you.

There's a website called Old Maps (http://www.old-maps.co.uk/maps.html) where you can see historic maps of most British places digitally. The ones of Birkenhead are very good, especially the large-scale town plan from late in the 19th century.

© Wirral-Wikiwirral