Forums
Posted By: mb2496 Peel Street (Tranmere) - 31st Dec 2011 12:35am
I have been doing some digging into my family history and the 1881 census has one of my relatives living in Peel Street, Tranmere. This doesn't seem to exist anymore. Does anybody know where this was / what it's called now? Many thanks.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Peel Street (Tranmere) - 31st Dec 2011 12:44am
Peel Street used to run along the west side of the railway line, its centre was about Union Street.

It went from St Pauls Road to Farm Road (Which is roughly where the southern end of Quigley St is now).
Posted By: mb2496 Re: Peel Street (Tranmere) - 31st Dec 2011 12:53am
Thanks for that - I just looked on Google maps and your description is easy to follow. Interesting stuff. I wonder where Ancestry.co.uk will take me next...
Posted By: FiremanFil Re: Peel Street (Tranmere) - 31st Dec 2011 9:19am
I'd be a bit wary of ancestry.co, MB. I was with them for a while and managed to trace my family back to 1760s-but it cost me a small fortune in certificates of Births, Marriages and Deaths. Good luck, though. :-)
Posted By: alan128 Re: Peel Street (Tranmere) - 31st Dec 2011 10:20am
map showing Peel St as it was.

Attached picture Spring Street.jpg
Attached picture st pauls road.jpg
Posted By: suey30 Re: Peel Street (Tranmere) - 31st Dec 2011 1:18pm
hi its now called peel avenue,running from union st to half way along railway wall
Posted By: chriskay Re: Peel Street (Tranmere) - 31st Dec 2011 1:44pm
I have strong historical connections with that area: Seafield House, Clare St. and Brougham St. Parents and grandparents. I've often wondered, what exactly was Seafield House?
Posted By: alan128 Re: Peel Street (Tranmere) - 31st Dec 2011 2:18pm
My family tree is Brougham St,Peel st,Livingstone Road,Meadow Lane Allison St Albert Place,Planet St Comet St and Union St
All in a half mile erea.
Just wish there were some photos of those streets.
Posted By: bert1 Re: Peel Street (Tranmere) - 31st Dec 2011 2:19pm
Chris, images from 1911 census and occupants, you can't see it but it had 6 rooms.

Attached picture sea.JPG
Attached picture sea1.JPG
Posted By: bert1 Re: Peel Street (Tranmere) - 31st Dec 2011 3:51pm
Another snippet found, looks like it could have been used as a stable at one time.

When Elizabeth was born in 1852 they were living in Highfield Street, Liverpool. By the time of the 1861 census they were living at 2 Ruabon Street, Tranmere with children John, Samuel and Robert; no sign of Elizabeth. In 1867 when Susannah was born they lived at 65 Thomas Street, Birkenhead. In 1871 they were living at Seafield House, New Chester Rd, Tranmere where John was now a cart proprietor and in 1881 they were at the same address, John a team owner.
By 1901 Jane had died and John was living with his daughter Susannah and her husband Henry Evans at 20 Seabank Cottages, Birkenhead (RG13/3398). he was 71 years old, a widower and noted as a Master Carter.
Posted By: Maisie Re: Peel Street (Tranmere) - 31st Dec 2011 4:00pm
How great is this, I was actually going to post about Peel Street today myself. I found out that my grandfather came from the Isle of Man, he lived in Ramsey. Looking up his marriage it shows he was actually living in Peel Street at the time of his marriage.
So my guess is, he lived in the Isle of Man, but when he was away, he lived here in Peel Street.
I knew roughly were Peel Street was, but it's actually nice to be able to see it on paper!!!
Thanks Everyone.
Posted By: chriskay Re: Peel Street (Tranmere) - 31st Dec 2011 4:01pm
Thanks, Bert. My father was born at Seafield House, which belonged to my maternal great-grandfather (who I never knew). I see from that census that I had an uncle, Ernest, who was two years older than my father; never knew about him so I guess he must have died young.
Interesting that Seafield House only had six rooms; looks bigger than that on the map.
I remember visiting my great-aunts, Emily and Ethel. They lived on Dacre Hill. I remember that they had very dry biscuits, probably Rich Tea or similar.
Posted By: bert1 Re: Peel Street (Tranmere) - 31st Dec 2011 4:28pm
Chris, I can tell you that a Mr Ernest W Kay died in Birkenhead aged 48 in 1953. no others from Birkenhead between 1911 and 53 I could see, or were you thinking of him dying younger than that.
Posted By: chriskay Re: Peel Street (Tranmere) - 31st Dec 2011 4:36pm
Well, that's a mystery Bert. I guess there must have been a family argument, otherwise I'd surely have known him, or at least heard of him. I was at home in 1953 and I don't remember a funeral.
Posted By: alan128 Re: Peel Street (Tranmere) - 31st Dec 2011 4:47pm
could he have been killed in ww1?
is there an Ernest W Kay on absent voters list 1914- 1918
Posted By: bert1 Re: Peel Street (Tranmere) - 31st Dec 2011 4:52pm
His mother would have killed him for going Alan, he was only six in 1911.
Posted By: alan128 Re: Peel Street (Tranmere) - 31st Dec 2011 5:38pm
LOL got my maths wrong with that one
Posted By: Nienna Re: Peel Street (Tranmere) - 31st Dec 2011 6:33pm
My Family lived in Dee Street and I was born in my aunts house in Orchard Road. We used to walk along the length of Peel street to visit her.
It was a lovely friendly community. The kind where people took pride in where they lived. The women would be out washing down and sweeping their front steps and the immediate pavements out side , polishing their brass door knobs and sitting hanging out of the upstairs ledges to clean the windows. I used to think how brave they were precariously perched, back to the street high up on a ledge, scrubbing at the panes!
A lot of folk didnt have that much, but what they did have they were proud of! Everyone helped each other out in times of need.

At the Rock ferry end of Peel street there was an old blue police box, like the tardis.
I think if I remember correctly where Livingstone road ran into Peel street there was an off licence with all the windows frosted over. My Grandma said it was to keep childrens eyes from such a den of iniquity!

The sally army often paraded down Peel street on a Sunday morning along with the boys and girl's brigades, flags a flying and drums a banging..used to wake every one up.

That area of little back street terraces was a lovely community back then, everyone looking out for one another, and knowing everyone's business!
Because Peel street was quite long it always seemed full of noise and chattering children playing out in the street, it was broken only by the sound of the trains rumbling past and tooting their horns.
I wish I could time travel and go back again.
Posted By: micsey Re: Peel Street (Tranmere) - 31st Dec 2011 8:22pm
my mum was from Livingstone road,her mother rose stapleton had 6 girls
Posted By: jimbob Re: Peel Street (Tranmere) - 31st Dec 2011 10:01pm
I was born in 118 Peel Street in 1940, my mother was also born in the same house in 1903. the house belonged to her father who had actualy bought the house at about 1900.
Prior to that he lived further along the same street at No 135. The house although a terraced house was slightly different than the houses ajoining it. I was built in 1867 and had a date plaque high up on the wall. an odd thing was the numbering of the houses in Peel Street. If you look at the map earlier in this post you will that the road start at the bottom of Farm road but there are no houses till it get to the bottom of Randle Street. But they did not start at no 1 and 2. they started a lot higher. If you go to the other end of Peel Street on the map {St Pauls Road end} No 1 and 2 started there and the numbers ran till you go to the bottom of Livinstone Road. If you look closly at the map you will see a slight kink in the line of the road on the railway side of the sreet at the bottom of Livinstone Road, it is there that the low numbers stopped and picked up again at the bottom of Randle Street to continue in the normal fashion of going higher as you travelled further away from the town hall.
Posted By: alan128 Re: Peel Street (Tranmere) - 1st Jan 2012 10:10am
Great memories from the posts above. My grandparents lived in 24 Livingstone Road, and gt grandparents had the shop on the corner of Allison St and Livingstone Rd.Remember going in with the Ration Books. Biscuits and crackers all in tin boxes,I have joined the two maps together if anyone wants a copy if covers the whole of Peel St
Posted By: alan128 Re: Peel Street (Tranmere) - 1st Jan 2012 10:53am
Originally Posted by alan128
Great memories from the posts above. My grandparents lived in 24 Livingstone Road, and gt grandparents had the shop on the corner of Allison St and Livingstone Rd.Remember going in with the Ration Books. Biscuits and crackers all in tin boxes,I have joined the two maps together if anyone wants a copy if covers the whole of Peel St

Also i think there was a shop opposite the off licence in Livingstone Rd. I remember a fish and chip shop at the Bottom of Livingstone Rd in Peel St
Posted By: jimbob Re: Peel Street (Tranmere) - 1st Jan 2012 2:37pm
That chip shop in Peel Street was right where the house numbers changed like i said in earlier post. Yes there was a shop on the oposit corner from the outdoor shop at the bottom of Livingstone rd, there where also one on each corner at the bottom of Gladstone road as well. Of course in the 40s &50s both St Pauls Rd & Union St where also full of shops. In approx 1947/48 there was an outbreak of Small Pox and a lad/girl living at the end of Brougham St next to Gladstone Rd died of it. Was only a youngster at the time so all I remember was been in long line of people on Old chester Rd. An emergence clinic had been set up in one of the shops and we all got inoculated, still got the scar on my left arm where it was cut with a piece of glass and the powder blown into the cut. We where all given red arm bands to weare {not sure if that was to show we had bloody sore arms or what] sorry to have gone off subject. But it is all part of the history of the area
Posted By: alan128 Re: Peel Street (Tranmere) - 1st Jan 2012 3:53pm
I remember an outbreak of polio.One girl in Livingstone Rd had it and was in leg calipers.She was lucky to live i think but it left her unable to walk properly. This must have been in the 50s
Posted By: suey30 Re: Peel Street (Tranmere) - 1st Jan 2012 4:32pm
i remember there was a pawn shop on the corner of peel st,st pauls rd end.and at union st end there was a paper/sweet shop, on thee other side was a barbers shop called bill the barbers,my brother used to get his hair cut there.there where loads of shops in union st but i can only think of the,veg shop, the chandlers,and parkinsons the dairy,my sister went on to buy it when mr parkinson retired.
Posted By: kimpri Re: Peel Street (Tranmere) - 1st Jan 2012 5:47pm
Originally Posted by alan128
I remember an outbreak of polio.One girl in Livingstone Rd had it and was in leg calipers.She was lucky to live i think but it left her unable to walk properly. This must have been in the 50s
we lived in Brougham St in the 50s,
My mums younger brother who lived on old Chester rd opposite st luke's church caught polio
paralyzed him from the waist down confined him to a wheel chair
Posted By: jimbob Re: Peel Street (Tranmere) - 1st Jan 2012 7:25pm
Originally Posted by suey30
i remember there was a pawn shop on the corner of peel st,st pauls rd end.and at union st end there was a paper/sweet shop, on thee other side was a barbers shop called bill the barbers,my brother used to get his hair cut there.there where loads of shops in union st but i can only think of the,veg shop, the chandlers,and parkinsons the dairy,my sister went on to buy it when mr parkinson retired.

The pawn shop was Bainses, the paper/sweet shop at Union St end was Bartons, and yes oposit was Bill the barber { he had one leg shorter than the other}, next door to parkisons on the on the corner of peel St was the Co-op. Mr Parkison use to push a large wheeled hand cart with his 2 large milk churnes on it and you got your pint of milk measured out to you outside your front door if your household was one of his customers
Posted By: suey30 Re: Peel Street (Tranmere) - 1st Jan 2012 9:11pm
thanks jimbob id forgotten the co-op,
Posted By: chriskay Re: Peel Street (Tranmere) - 2nd Jan 2012 1:29pm
Originally Posted by kimpri1
we lived in Brougham St in the 50s,

My grandfather and his family lived at 84 Brougham St. at the 1911 census. They also had a team of three rivetters as lodgers; a total of eight people so must have been crowded. The census shows five rooms in total, so probably three bedrooms.
Posted By: truebirkenheader Re: Peel Street (Tranmere) - 31st Jan 2012 7:10am
does anybody have any pictures of the area? peel st, st pauls rd, old chester road, etc? regards
Posted By: truebirkenheader Re: Peel Street (Tranmere) - 19th Apr 2012 7:27pm
i now live in peel avenue and would love to see any pics of the surrounding area. i heard that there used to be a church on wot i remember being called the back field. does anybody have any info on it? we used to have bonfires on the back field every november. i remember the lay out of the field which had two concrete circles joined by a path. i wonder wot used to be there?
Posted By: Shadowfax Re: Peel Street (Tranmere) - 12th Jul 2021 4:14pm
I lived at 34 Livingstone road from 1960 to 1965. I went to Well Lane School. I remember the outdoor at the bottom of Livingstone Road with the frosted glass. Opposite was ‘Billy’s’ ,a grocery store . At the top of Livingstone road was the Bluebird cafe. It may have been a cafe at one time but it was more of a sweet shop in the early sixties. Opposite the other side of Livingstone road was an electrical shop. I remember the bombed out buildings on St. Paul’s road and the co-op dairy in Etna Street.
Posted By: Shadowfax Re: Peel Street (Tranmere) - 17th Jul 2021 12:27pm
My GGrandparents lived in Seafield House ( not sure if he owned or rented it). They had market gardens adjoining and sold their produce on Birkenhead market. Their daughter and my grandmother lived opposite in Rose Cottages. They were both bombed out in the war and lost everything….
© Wirral-Wikiwirral