Forums
Posted By: derekdwc Birkenhead and other Wirral Public Conveniences - 22nd Dec 2011 4:55pm
The ones I can recall in Birkenhead (which have gone)were
Argyle Street (above the train tracks)Gents only urinals
Clifton Crescent (opposite the Central Hotel)Ladies and Gents
Waterloo Place (by railway bride)Gents only urinals
Hamilton Street (also was on corner of Market Street
Woodside not sure whether Ladies and Gents
Near Charing Cross the relative new Ladies and Gents ones near where the car park is
Near Charing Cross the older one not sure whether Ladies and Gents
Birkenhead Park by the swings
I'm not sure which train stations had any

Description: Argyle Street
Attached picture argyle st toilets .png

Description: by Woodside
Attached picture toilets Woodside marked.jpg

Description: Atherton Street
Attached picture toilets Atherton Street marked.jpg

Description: old market
Attached picture old market underground toilets resized.jpg

Description: old market toilets
Attached picture market_toilets.jpg
more pics

Description: Waterloo Place
Attached picture Blackpool st toilets.JPG
Attached picture waterloo st from pc world[1600x1200].JPG
Attached picture Clifton Crescent [1600x1200].JPG

Description: Ladies toilets by clock
Attached picture Ladies toilets  [1600x1200].JPG

Description: Gents toilets by clock
Attached picture Gents toilets  [1600x1200].JPG
A report by the Birkenhead Vigilance Committee formed in 1899
Also current public toilets list for Wirral
Public toilets
All toilets have disabled facilities with Radar locks which are available during opening hours.

New Brighton
Floral Pavilion Theatre, Marine Promenade, New Brighton,
CH45 2JS.

Harrison Drive, New Brighton, Wirral, CH45 3HL. (Approaching from Harrison Drive on the right hand side just before the roundabout leading to the promenade).

Moreton
Corner of Pasture Road and Leasowe Road, Leasowe Road, Moreton CH46 8ST.

Behind the car park of the Coach and Horses public house, Moreton Cross, Garden Lane, Moreton, CH46 7TH.

Meols
On the corner at the end of Meols Parade opposite the slipway - Bennets Lane, Meols Parade, Meols, Wirral, CH47 7AU.

Hoylake
Next to bowling green - Meols Parade Gardens, Meols Parade, Hoylake, Wirral, CH47 3AH.

West Kirby
Next to West Kirby Marine Lake in the same building as the sailing school, Dee Lane, West Kirby, Wirral, CH48 0QA.

Next to West Kirby train station and opposite the Concourse Leisure Centre - Grange Road, West Kirby, Wirral, CH48 7RY.

Thornton Hough
Next to Thornton Green playing fields - Thornton Common Road, Thornton Hough, Wirral, CH63 0LU.

New Ferry
Next to New Ferry shopping centre main car park - Woodhead Street, New Ferry, Wirral, CH62 5ER.

Opening times
Sep - Mar: Generally 9am to 5pm
Apr - Aug: closing times for coastal sites are extended
to 6.30pm.
Exceptional circumstances may mean that some sites have to be
opened later and closed earlier than the times stated

Attached picture Birkenhead vigilance committee report[1600x1200].JPG
There was a Gents outside Laird street bus depot.

Was there a Gents on borough road roughly opposite the Kingsland restaurant?

PB
yes there was one near the juction with whitford road.oppsite the kinglands
The taking away of all these public conveniences was taking the piss!, i mean where are people to go if your caught short?. When i build the wikiwood town model railway i,ll have plenty of toilets on it!. thumbsup
Sorry to interrupt-but am amused by the unintentional (?) pun about taking the piss by removing the toilets!! Thanks for the giggle!! :-)
There was one in Ilchester road,got phone box there now
Don't know why but i always find public toilets scary? Especially the old Victorian ones.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Birkenhead and other Wirral Public Conveniences - 22nd Dec 2011 10:04pm
Good info Degs, there was one on Woodchurch Estate, on Hoole Road, opposite the shops.
My cycling mates where talking about this the other week.
There is one in Arrowe Park, one outside cammel lairds by the bottle gas place.
One in Bromborough village that is now joints and pins.
The 'bummer bogs' on new chester road as we always called them by carlett park but after that from Heswall to chester queensferry we cannt think of anymore.
The one at Woodside replaced the rather magnificent former railway parcels offices seen in the photo - one for GWR and one for LNWR.

The loos on Atherton Street were on the other side of the road.....
Upton Road opposite the old Birkenhead Institute site.

Attached picture Upton Road.png
Originally Posted by OxtonHill
Upton Road opposite the old Birkenhead Institute site.

What was old Birkenhead Institute site?

Where on Upton Road is this
Not sure where Upton Road is - going from Moreton Cross towards Upton is Upton Road and also the one from Claughton Village to Upton
See here

https://www.wikiwirral.co.uk/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=227602
Thanks
You replied before I edited my post
I was thinking you meant something to do with the BI as when it was in Whetstone Lane, never even thought of the Tollemache Rd one
here

Attached picture upton.jpg
Interesting that there was at least two public loos on water works sites (Flaybrick and Borough Road, B'head), Might have a check on other water work's locations and see if this was a provision.
Mersey Park, between the Bandstand and the Lodge by the gates, there was a path behind a hedge, which led to the toilets. They were made from slate stones (hence the expression p*** stones?)
If you couldn't see them, you could find them by smell!! The path led to the top of Sydney Terrace, which is now covered by the back gardens of the new houses on the South side of Sydney Road.
I think there were some at the top of Victoria park, near the roundabout on the Bebington road side, but before the Towers.
Also Elm Road junction with Church Road, in the sunken car park.
You're right about Victoria Park; entrance opposite St. George's Ave. then on your left.
Forgot mentioning Landican Cemetery
Was there one in Flaybrick at anytime?
Thanks for that, I thought there was.

PB
Surprised no one mentioned River Street gents bog at Charing Cross, opposite where the wine lodge is now.
BI site was in Whetstone Lane, that one at Upton Rd was the Grange Academy, or Tollemache Rd Secondary. As a BI Old Boy, literally, I must take you to task derek.
somad
There was a set of urinals at the end of Greendale Road near railway bridge at the Beb station end.

There was also some bogs in Mayer Park too.
Borough road opposite kingsland there was a gents toilet
Originally Posted by chris58
Borough road opposite Kingsland there was a gents toilet

Already mentioned earlier in the thread.
Four more long-lost Birkenhead urinals: In Getley Street near its junction with Chester Street; in King's Square behind the Shakespeare pub near the Mersey Tunnel; in Chester Street near its junction with Waterloo Place, and in Shore Road by the bridge over the Morpeth branch dock.
Not Birkenhead, but a preserved one in the Jewellery Quarter in Birmingham. Does anyone remember any similar in Birkenhead?

Attached picture IMG20110912_002.jpg
I very vaguely remember something like that downtown somewhere, was it the opposite end of the market from the other toilets.
Topic includes other parts of Wirral

Moseley Avenue - somewhere in Wallasey?

Attached picture Public_Toilets_Moseley_Avenue.jpg
http://g.co/maps/uucyu

School Lane, Parkgate. Where the Crosville buses used to turn round.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral