Forums
Posted By: ResearcherTony 19th Century culture on the Wirral - 8th Dec 2011 1:53pm
Hello all my fellow historians,

i am doing a 3000 word essay on popular culture in 19th century Britain, so was wondering if anybody had any ideas of local cultures on the Wirral at the time?

Thanking you all, i will come back with anything i find locally.
Posted By: pablo42 Re: 19th Century culture on the Wirral - 8th Dec 2011 3:49pm
Well, the docks were thriving, ship building was coming on, soap works had the third busiest docks in the World, shipping magnates were doing well. There were potteries and blacksmiths. Rest of the folk were the same as anywhere else, in dire poverty.
Posted By: pablo42 Re: 19th Century culture on the Wirral - 8th Dec 2011 3:54pm
There was even coal mines in Heswall
Posted By: derekdwc Re: 19th Century culture on the Wirral - 8th Dec 2011 5:22pm
What do you mean by culture?
Music, Theatre,the Arts,Food and drink,jobs, living conditions,
Wealth ?
Posted By: chriskay Re: 19th Century culture on the Wirral - 8th Dec 2011 5:26pm
From the mid century on, one of the most popular entertainments was the music hall. In Birkenhead, the Argyle was the best known and most of the stars of the time played there.
Posted By: derekdwc Re: 19th Century culture on the Wirral - 8th Dec 2011 5:43pm
then as now beer drinking
I believe there were 300 pubs more or less in Birkenhead alone by the turn of the century
Folks could travel more with the beginning of trains and trams etc
Posted By: bert1 Re: 19th Century culture on the Wirral - 8th Dec 2011 5:44pm
Just look through the whole history section, it all comes under culture I suppose. Derek asked the perfect question, What do you mean by culture?
Posted By: Geekus Re: 19th Century culture on the Wirral - 8th Dec 2011 7:37pm
Originally Posted by JackCarter
Hello all my fellow historians,

i am doing a 3000 word essay on popular culture in 19th century Britain, so was wondering if anybody had any ideas of local cultures on the Wirral at the time?

Thanking you all, i will come back with anything i find locally.

Do you ever do any of your own degree course work Tony, or are we just here to do it all for you?! raftl
Posted By: ResearcherTony Re: 19th Century culture on the Wirral - 8th Dec 2011 7:40pm
haha but i like other peoples input too.

different ideas are better than people all reading off the same sheet!
Posted By: ResearcherTony Re: 19th Century culture on the Wirral - 8th Dec 2011 7:41pm
Originally Posted by chriskay
From the mid century on, one of the most popular entertainments was the music hall. In Birkenhead, the Argyle was the best known and most of the stars of the time played there.

its stuff like this that i want to look into, and use primary sources in my research
Posted By: Geekus Re: 19th Century culture on the Wirral - 8th Dec 2011 8:00pm
Originally Posted by ResearcherTony

I'd love to see you quoting your sources...

bert1 (2011), WirralHistory, wikiwirral.co.uk
chriskay (2011), WirralHistory, wikiwirral.co.uk
derekdwc (2011), WirralHistory, wikiwirral.co.uk raftl
Posted By: ResearcherTony Re: 19th Century culture on the Wirral - 8th Dec 2011 9:09pm
it would well work.

Posted By: katiechops Re: 19th Century culture on the Wirral - 9th Dec 2011 8:29am
Originally Posted by geekus

I'd love to see you quoting your sources...

bert1 (2011), WirralHistory, wikiwirral.co.uk
chriskay (2011), WirralHistory, wikiwirral.co.uk
derekdwc (2011), WirralHistory, wikiwirral.co.uk raftl
Classic!!!! should have thought of this when I was READING, (in caps. as this is what you should be doing)! for my History degree.
Posted By: ResearcherTony Re: 19th Century culture on the Wirral - 10th Dec 2011 11:05am
Too much reading to do in too little time.

Posted By: Geekus Re: 19th Century culture on the Wirral - 10th Dec 2011 11:18am

...maybe you should spend less time on internet forums thinking of new names for yourself raftl ...just a thought!
Posted By: ResearcherTony Re: 19th Century culture on the Wirral - 10th Dec 2011 11:23am
Originally Posted by geekus

...maybe you should spend less time on internet forums thinking of new names for yourself raftl ...just a thought!

and a great thought that is my friend haha.

Its quite good the module that this thread is about, I am wondering if we had many music halls based on the Wirral in the 19th century as an attraction for sailors when they came ashore?

Posted By: bert1 Re: 19th Century culture on the Wirral - 10th Dec 2011 11:36am
Hope this helps

https://www.wikiwirral.co.uk/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/304222/2.html
Posted By: Geekus Re: 19th Century culture on the Wirral - 10th Dec 2011 12:13pm
Here's another 'great thought'...

Get yourself around to Earlston Library and ask at the reference desk for volume 147 of the Transactions of the Historic Society of Lancashire & Cheshire (1998).

Includes several learned articles including one on 'Cultural Identity of Liverpool 1790-1850'.
Posted By: ResearcherTony Re: 19th Century culture on the Wirral - 10th Dec 2011 12:43pm
Thank you guys, helpful as ever, much appreciated.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral