Forums
Posted By: bert1 Charles Thomas Gostenhofer - 1st Dec 2011 3:41pm
In November 1888 Fredrick Smith the father of FE Smith 1st Earl of Birkenhead was elected mayor of Birkenhead and died one month later, he was succeeded by Charles Thomas Gostenhofer who served as town mayor for 12 months. He also served as a JP. The 1891 and 1901 census shows him being born in Islington, London and living at 18 Beresford Rd Oxton. He had a number of servants.
Map of property would be welcome around that time
Anyone know anything more on this man?

Any more input would be welcome.

Attached picture ctg1891.JPG
Attached picture ctg1901.JPG
Posted By: chriskay Re: Charles Thomas Gostenhofer - 1st Dec 2011 4:06pm
Interesting, Bert. I know nothing of him, but it's interesting to note that his wife was American and he clearly spent some years there since his two daughters were born there. The name seems to be German, possibly Jewish. He is of an age such that he might have been a refugee from the pogroms which were quite frequent in Eastern Europe in the 19th. century.
Posted By: Geekus Re: Charles Thomas Gostenhofer - 1st Dec 2011 4:08pm
I can tell you that Gostenhofer was in poor health at the time of his election.

I have a snippet from a local news paper dated Dec 29, 1888 stating that:-

'...in unaminously electing Mr. C.Gostenhofer on Monday morning to the vacant office of Mayor, the Council paid a well merited tribute to that gentleman's high character and well-known business capacity, but that the new mayor, being advanced in years and in delicate health, has publicly asked to be excused from attending night meetings, and those concerned will kindly bear this in mind; that following the example of the late Mayor, Mr Gostenhofer announced that the Mayoress will be "at home" to visitors at Laurel-bank, Beresford-road, on Saturday's from three to six'.

Posted By: OxtonHill Re: Charles Thomas Gostenhofer - 1st Dec 2011 4:10pm
He was baptised on the 10th November 1825 at St. Mary Islington the son of Theophilus Frederick Gostenhofer & Ann Smith his wife.

His parents were married on the 27th March 1808 at St George the Martyr in Southwark.

Charles wife may possibly have come from New Orleans, Louisiana USA as he seems to have had two children there.
Posted By: poodlepup Re: Charles Thomas Gostenhofer - 1st Dec 2011 4:19pm
ellis island
Hi this may help with further info,sorry i couldn't search it properly as my dongle is not playing nicely today.
Its a free search,you may need to register,to trawl through original transcripts.And there are a few transcript errors usually so if you do search just try with first initial.
Posted By: bert1 Re: Charles Thomas Gostenhofer - 1st Dec 2011 4:27pm
Thank you Ladies and Gentlemen, most interesting, on the 1891 census though cut off, the wife born in the United states has bracketed (British citizen),
Laurel Bank sounds grand, wondering what type of property that was, anyone like a pop at his business, can't quite make my mind up. Cheers
Posted By: bert1 Re: Charles Thomas Gostenhofer - 1st Dec 2011 5:01pm
1916 Wilmers Street directory has Charles living at 6 Wexford rd so looks like he survived his illness for a while after his mayorship and his daughter Miss Charlotte Gostenhofer living at 16 Beresford Rd with Rev William Mcneill, Trinity Presbyterian church ministr, was 16 a church or do we have a scandal on our hands?
Posted By: chriskay Re: Charles Thomas Gostenhofer - 1st Dec 2011 5:11pm
Well, if he was baptised at St. Mary Islington, he wasn't Jewish, so the idea of escape from pogroms is out.
According to my count, 18 Bersford Rd. should be the one marked on the 1912 OS map, although it seems to have a path onto Alton Rd.

Attached picture 18 Beresford Rd..jpg
Posted By: Geekus Re: Charles Thomas Gostenhofer - 1st Dec 2011 5:19pm
Originally Posted by chriskay
Interesting, Bert. I know nothing of him, but it's interesting to note that his wife was American and he clearly spent some years there since his two daughters were born there. The name seems to be German, possibly Jewish. He is of an age such that he might have been a refugee from the pogroms which were quite frequent in Eastern Europe in the 19th. century.

I wonder if his links with America were one of the reasons why he was 'unaminously' elected as Mayor? It could be just a coincidence but I'm sure William Laird would have relished the opportunity of procurring more ship building orders from the Americans. In fact, just a few months after he was elected a large delegation of civil engineers from the States were invited to Birkenhead by Laird and Gostenhofer. The following is a newspaper extract from Saturday June 8, 1889:-

'During the week a party of 250 civil engineers from the United States have arrived in the Mersey en route for the Paris Exhibition. On Thursday about 160 of the party visited Birkenhead. At Woodside Ferry vehicles were awaiting their arrival, and in these they were driven to the various works and yards of Messrs.Laird Brothers, and, amongst other things inspected, was the new American liner Columbia. The visitors were also shown over the Town Hall by the Mayor (Mr.C.T.Gostenhofer) and several members of the Town Council, and they then proceeded to 63, Hamilton-square, at the invitation of Mr and Mrs W.Laird. Here they were received by Mr and Mrs Laird, and luncheon was provided in the large marquee in the garden...'.

Luncheon over, various toasts were drunk and '...The Mayor, in proposing "Our Visitors," made an interesting speech, in which he referred to his long residence in America and the many friendships he still cherished there. It was, he thought, very fortunate that the residents on the shores of the Mersey had the privelege of first welcoming the American engineers to Great Britain, as it afforded them an opportunity of seeing first the reign of industry and enterprise and commerce which from that centre had gone all round the civilised world...'.
Posted By: bert1 Re: Charles Thomas Gostenhofer - 1st Dec 2011 5:43pm
Thanks for the map Chris, my apologies to Miss Charlotte, misread the directory, there was a church.

Interesting observation Geekus, Mr Laird never missed a trick, even going back to the Civil War.
Posted By: poodlepup Re: Charles Thomas Gostenhofer - 1st Dec 2011 6:11pm
The London Gazette Feb 1861
NOTlCli is hereby given that the Partnership between
the undersigned, John Lewis Phipps, Charles Paul
Pbipps, William Turner Holworthy, Charles Thomas
Gostenhofer, Richard Wilson, and Barieu Fletcher Allen,
carrying on business at New York and New' Orleans, as
Commission Merchants, under the firm of John' Lewis
Phipps and Company, J. L. Phipps and Co., was dissolved
on the 31.-t day of December, I860, by effluxion of time, so
f i r only ns rppnrrts the said Richard Wilson.—Dated 'this
l l t l i chy of Jtiutiary, 1861,
John Lewis Pliipps.
, Charles Paul Phipps.
-. -William Turner Holworthy,
by Charles Paul Phipps, his Attorney.
Charles Thomas Gostenhofer,
by Charles Paul Phipps, his Attorney.
Richard Wilson.
Barten Fletcher; Allen, ,
by Charles Paul Phipps, his Attorney
Posted By: nightwalker Re: Charles Thomas Gostenhofer - 2nd Dec 2011 10:00am
Originally Posted by bert1
1916 Wilmers Street directory has Charles living at 6 Wexford rd so looks like he survived his illness for a while after his mayorship...

This is probably his son, bert. Charles Thomas Gostenhofer died in 1906 (Cheshire BMD). His wife Paulina Ambrose died 1900. The 1911 census has a Charles (aged 55) and family living at South Alton, Rose Mount, Birkenhead. His place of birth is given as New Orleans, USA and he notes "British subject by parentage"
Posted By: bert1 Re: Charles Thomas Gostenhofer - 2nd Dec 2011 11:25am
Thanks Nightwalker, so that would be his son at Wexford in 1916.
On passing this morning unexpected with no camera and now having to rely on google the gate posts are there with Laurel Bank clearly on them but form a driveway of a semi. A far more impressive house lays next door and there seems to have been some land sale after Chris's map. I've marked the map in green where I think Laurel Bank is/was.

Attached picture 18_Beresford_Rd..jpg
Attached picture laurel bank posts.JPG
Attached picture laure bank 2.JPG
Posted By: chriskay Re: Charles Thomas Gostenhofer - 2nd Dec 2011 12:44pm
The original reference to Laurel Bank is from 1888, so the house would definitely be on the 1912 map. Looking at the map and the Google pics, I suggest that it is the large house you saw, Bert, and that the semis were built later, but using one of the Laurel Bank entrances. If you look on the map, you can see that the house had two entrances, with a sweeping carriage drive between them. The only puzzle is with the numbering. As I originally noted, the entrance to the corner house, which I marked as No.18 does seem to have its entrance on Alton Rd. so that's probably its address, not Beresford Rd. The numbering of Beresford will be from its junction with Palm Grove, so I must have miscounted, or it's not clear where Beresford Rd. starts.
Posted By: bert1 Re: Charles Thomas Gostenhofer - 2nd Dec 2011 1:49pm
Chris, agree entirely with contents of last post, driveway and the numbering etc. Is your map earlier than 1912, the 1901 census for example has up to number 26 at least occupied for that stretch of houses. I'm I right in saying the map you kindly put up is the 1912 you are referring to.
Posted By: bert1 Re: Charles Thomas Gostenhofer - 2nd Dec 2011 2:10pm
Sorry above should be 1891 census and by 1916 the numbering are as follows below. Looks like between 1891 and 1916 there has been some house clearance which reflects on Chris's map.

Attached picture beresford 1916.JPG
Posted By: OxtonHill Re: Charles Thomas Gostenhofer - 2nd Dec 2011 2:11pm
I would suggest Laurel Bank has been demolished and the small "Edwadian houses" now occupy the site.

Laurel Bank had two entrances on Beresford Road.In Berts first picture note the posts & drive entrance cobbles, go further up the road and the same posts & entrance cobbles are there.

Berts second picture is the house next to Laurel Bank, you can clearly see the entrance porch is onthe side of the house, where as Laurel Bank's entrance was at the front, between the two gate entrances.
Posted By: bert1 Re: Charles Thomas Gostenhofer - 2nd Dec 2011 2:18pm
Perhaps the reason for Miss Charlotte ending up in number 16.
Posted By: chriskay Re: Charles Thomas Gostenhofer - 2nd Dec 2011 4:04pm
Yes, Bert, my map is dated 1912 edition, surveyed 1874, revised 1909. I see from the 1916 numbering that No.14 has disappeared, so that would account for Laurel Bank being originally No.18 and later No.16.
OxtonHill; I strongly believe that Bert's second image from Streetview to be Laurel Bank. If you look at the map, you can see the path leading to the quite prominent side entrance. I agree about the entrances: as I interpret the Streetview images Bert posted, the first picture is the entrance to the left, the second is to the right. I'll have a look the next time I'm up, unless someone beats me to it.
Posted By: chriskay Re: Charles Thomas Gostenhofer - 2nd Dec 2011 4:28pm
Here's an extract from Gore's Directory 1900 showing Gostenhofer at Laurel Bank, No.18 and this being the last house before Alton Rd.
It seems clear now that I was mistaken when I marked the x on the map and that the address of that house is Alton Rd., as shown by the path leading to it.
So, sometime between 1900 and 1916, number 14 Beresford Rd. disappeared and there was a re-numbering.

Attached picture beresford.jpg
Posted By: bert1 Re: Charles Thomas Gostenhofer - 2nd Dec 2011 4:57pm
Thanks Chris, I may go in the morning and have a more leisurely look. Below 1911 summary book, note 18 had a lodge and 14 is still there, so far the area of numbers that seem to be relevant.

1891 numbers 1 to 26 recorded
1901 ======= 1 to 23 not 20

Attached picture 1011 beresford.JPG
Posted By: uptoncx Re: Charles Thomas Gostenhofer - 2nd Dec 2011 5:56pm

The confusion with the early numbering of the bottom part of Beresford Road is caused by Nos 8 and 10, these were the stables and coach house belonging to Redcourt (which fronts on to Devonshire Place) but were only ever known by one number (8) so 10 is 'missing'. These buildings were demolished and a small close of houses built on the site in the late 70s (I think).

Nos 12 and 14 are a pair of semi-detached houses, and are still standing.

No 16 is a detached house and was the old vicarage and is also still standing.

Number 18 was Laurel Bank and has been demolished and its site and grounds are now occupied by three pairs of semi detached houses (18, 20, 22, 24, 26 and 28).

Posted By: bert1 Re: Charles Thomas Gostenhofer - 2nd Dec 2011 6:31pm
Well done Upton, any idea when Laurel Bank was demolished?
In the 1911 summary book, are 18 and 20 the start of the semi's being built.
Posted By: uptoncx Re: Charles Thomas Gostenhofer - 2nd Dec 2011 7:07pm
I think that the original Laurel Bank was still standing in 1911, as the census shows No 18 as occupied by:

Robert Thompson, steamship owner
his wife
his son
his daughter
his mother in law
two sister in laws
and three servants.

I don't think that these would all have fitted into one of the semi's.

The census shows that No 20 was occupied by Helena Herron (a single woman of private means who was born at sea), a visitor and two servants

There is a house the other side of the semi's, now numbered 30, which is set back from the road. I can't remember how old it looks, if it is old enough, could this house have been No 20 in 1911?

Posted By: uptoncx Re: Charles Thomas Gostenhofer - 2nd Dec 2011 7:33pm
The 1923 Kelly Directory only shows No 18 (occupied by Moray Angus) and No 20 (occupied by Arthur Livingston) while the 1938 directory shows numbers 18, 20, 22, 24, 26 and 28. This would suggest that Laurel Bank was demolished sometime between 1923 and 1938.
Posted By: littlestan Re: Charles Thomas Gostenhofer - 2nd Dec 2011 7:39pm
This has been a brilliant read. Thanks to all concerned . I will look for a picture of Laurel Bank but may well take some time to find it !
Posted By: chriskay Re: Charles Thomas Gostenhofer - 3rd Dec 2011 12:20pm
Thanks for the input, uptoncx. Interesting about the missing No.10, and that in 1916 a coachman was living at No.8.
So it looks as if I was wrong about the Streetview posted by Bert showing Laurel Bank; my apologies, OxtonHill.

Now, if you want another challenge, have a look at my thread "Birkenhead Ferries 1905" in a couple of hours!
Posted By: bert1 Re: Charles Thomas Gostenhofer - 3rd Dec 2011 3:03pm
Originally Posted by uptoncx
The 1923 Kelly Directory only shows No 18 (occupied by Moray Angus) and No 20 (occupied by Arthur Livingston) while the 1938 directory shows numbers 18, 20, 22, 24, 26 and 28. This would suggest that Laurel Bank was demolished sometime between 1923 and 1938.

The 1916 Wilmers shows the numbers stopping at 16, is it not possible or likely Laurel Bank was down by then.
Below some pics confirming Oxtonhill's thoughts on the drive posts and number 30 to remind Upton of the property.
Also on the 1891 census for Beresford rd it seems that the enumerator was confused by number 20.

Attached picture br1.jpg
Attached picture br2.jpg
Attached picture 20 palm gove.JPG
Posted By: marty99fred Re: Charles Thomas Gostenhofer - 4th Dec 2011 8:35pm
Charles T Gostenhofer died at 18 Beresford Road on Sunday, 9th September 1906, and was buried at Flaybrick on Wednesday 12th. The following is his obituary from the Birkenhead and Cheshire Advertiser. It doesn't say much about his "business abroad", but it appears from other sources that he worked in America for some time with John Lewis Phipps & Co, a firm of Commission Merchants who had offices in New York and New Orleans.

Attached picture Obit 1.JPG
Attached picture Obit 2.JPG
Attached picture Obit 3.JPG
Posted By: bert1 Re: Charles Thomas Gostenhofer - 4th Dec 2011 9:21pm
Thanks for that Marty, it appears that John Lewis Phipps & co were exporters of coffee from Brazil.
Posted By: marty99fred Re: Charles Thomas Gostenhofer - 5th Dec 2011 1:01pm
Some business records of Phipps & Co are at Wiltshire and Swindon Archives. Their catalogue describes the business as follows: 540/310-318 relate to the affairs of Heyworth, Phipps & Co., later Phipps and Co., of Liverpool, trading mainly with South and Central America, especially Brazil, in coffee, bananas etc. and also having branches at New York and New Orleans. As they were Commission Merchants, ie middlemen who bought and sold commodities for others on commission, I suspect they also dealt in other produce such as cotton, as that would have been the main export out of New Orleans at that time; I don't think there's much evidence that coffee and bananas were ever shipped to Liverpool via Louisiana.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral