Forums
Posted By: Bezzymate Steam Roller on Breck Rd - 26th Nov 2011 9:11pm
Does anyone remember the steam roller that came down St Hilary's Brow and mowed a lady down in her front garden?
Posted By: Snickas Re: Steam Roller on Breck Rd - 26th Nov 2011 9:47pm
omg at my house? [Linked Image]
Posted By: Bezzymate Re: Steam Roller on Breck Rd - 26th Nov 2011 9:49pm
I don't know hun! Do you live at the bottom of The Brow and does your front wall have newish bricks in it?
Posted By: Snickas Re: Steam Roller on Breck Rd - 26th Nov 2011 9:59pm
no! [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]thank god for that! (as much as that sounds awful and I do apologise for that!)

Thats the house next door to the flutterby house. They had the wall finally repaired last year and just the other week, walked past and the wall was in pieces again!!!!
I don't know what happend, but theres an awful lot of crashes here. The 1st year we moved in here there was 6 major crashes. 4 of them on motorbikes, in the rain... (hills, roundabouts, rain, no anti skids stuff down and its a real bad combination frown )
horrified the life out of me tbh. Even ran out and brought a first aid box (the ones with everything in them).

Now when we hear a screech of brakes and a bang, we automatically grab the phone and first aid box frown

first time it snowed since being here, a double decker bus nearly ended up in our garden...
Posted By: Bezzymate Re: Steam Roller on Breck Rd - 26th Nov 2011 10:02pm
Sorry to spook you Snix! X
Originally Posted by Snickas
no! [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]thank god for that! (as much as that sounds awful and I do apologise for that!)

Thats the house next door to the flutterby house. They had the wall finally repaired last year and just the other week, walked past and the wall was in pieces again!!!!
I don't know what happend, but theres an awful lot of crashes here. The 1st year we moved in here there was 6 major crashes. 4 of them on motorbikes, in the rain... (hills, roundabouts, rain, no anti skids stuff down and its a real bad combination frown )
horrified the life out of me tbh. Even ran out and brought a first aid box (the ones with everything in them).

Now when we hear a screech of brakes and a bang, we automatically grab the phone and first box frown

first time it snowed since being here, a double decker bus nearly ended up in our garden...
Posted By: Wiggi77 Re: Steam Roller on Breck Rd - 26th Nov 2011 10:06pm
It's a bad roundabout at the top of Wallacre. I lived on Wallacre a few years back and remember a few crashes there. One being me, I was coming over the brow to go down Wallacre and someone didn't stop coming from breck road and ploughed into the side of me. My mum still lives there and I can't bring myself to go down her round since that I always go round, nobody seems to stop coming from breck road
Posted By: Bezzymate Re: Steam Roller on Breck Rd - 26th Nov 2011 10:11pm
Oh dear Wiggi, that's awful!
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Steam Roller on Breck Rd - 26th Nov 2011 10:14pm
Hi bezzy, when did the incident happen?

I remember when I was younger seeing a crash there, a VW beetle ended up on its roof.

That garden wall is always getting smashed up, I'd be installing a crash barrier instead of a new wall.
Posted By: gypsyjune Re: Steam Roller on Breck Rd - 26th Nov 2011 10:36pm
Originally Posted by Wiggi77
It's a bad roundabout at the top of Wallacre. I lived on Wallacre a few years back and remember a few crashes there. One being me, I was coming over the brow to go down Wallacre and someone didn't stop coming from breck road and ploughed into the side of me. My mum still lives there and I can't bring myself to go down her round since that I always go round, nobody seems to stop coming from breck road
Hi Wiggi do you think it would make a difference if they put bolder lines down or altered the round about or is it just some people come to a round about and don`t really know who has right of way, the round about (outside the Asda) is the worst ,god knows why they are confused tho smile
Posted By: starakita Re: Steam Roller on Breck Rd - 26th Nov 2011 11:03pm
my aunty used to live round there & she said there was always accidents.
Posted By: Wiggi77 Re: Steam Roller on Breck Rd - 27th Nov 2011 1:12am
The roundabout was put there years ago because it was an accident black spot. Doesn't seem to have made much difference really. My understanding is you always give way to the right at a roundabout, but coming from breck road, I you're not familiar with the area you can't see the roundabout until you're virtually on it.

Hey ste I think I remember that too or maybe a different one, the one I remember on its roof must have been about 1987 or around then.

I remember when I was a kid getting the bus from the Cheshire cheese to liscard and going round the corner on the brow, now that was scary I always thought it was gonna fall over!
Posted By: Snickas Re: Steam Roller on Breck Rd - 27th Nov 2011 9:05am
its a blackspot because its so badly maintained & handled.

ummm I'm sure i have a photo somewhere...
Oh here

[Linked Image]

theres no traffic light system, no zebra crossings, all there is is is 4 arrows on the roundabout itself (I'm sure the general population know which way to go round a roundabout!), couple of markings on the road - after the turn off and some light up bollards that hardly ever work! Oh and absolutely no anti-skid stuff, anywhere!!!

one of the reasons I moved into this house was because of the barriers/hand rails/whatever they're called...I'm probably one a very few people who could see the benefit in them actually being there.

word of warning...Don't ever approach this road when it snows though, if its dangerous when it rains...

Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Steam Roller on Breck Rd - 27th Nov 2011 9:17am
Originally Posted by gypsyjune
some people come to a round about and don`t really know who has right of way, the round about (outside the Asda) is the worst ,god knows why they are confused tho smile

Well those people shouldn't be allowed on the road!
How did they manage to pass their test if they "don't know who has the right of way" as you put it?
All rotaries are the same.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Steam Roller on Breck Rd - 27th Nov 2011 9:24am
Originally Posted by Wiggi77
The roundabout was put there years ago because it was an accident black spot. Doesn't seem to have made much difference really. My understanding is you always give way to the right at a roundabout, but coming from breck road, I you're not familiar with the area you can't see the roundabout until you're virtually on it.

Hey ste I think I remember that too or maybe a different one, the one I remember on its roof must have been about 1987 or around then.

I remember when I was a kid getting the bus from the Cheshire cheese to liscard and going round the corner on the brow, now that was scary I always thought it was gonna fall over!

Hi wiggi, yes it was before the roundabout was there.
I remember being on a bus going around there, really bad if you were on the top deck too.

Posted By: Bezzymate Re: Steam Roller on Breck Rd - 27th Nov 2011 11:18am
I think the crash that you are refering to was a car. The 'steam roller' crash that I am refering to happend when I was little (yonks ago!) or even earlier.
Originally Posted by _Ste_

I remember when I was younger seeing a crash there, a VW beetle ended up on its roof.

That garden wall is always getting smashed up, I'd be installing a crash barrier instead of a new wall.
Posted By: Rickie_Robbo Re: Steam Roller on Breck Rd - 27th Nov 2011 7:12pm
oshocked omg a friend of mine has told me on a few occasions about his mum seeing a lady run over by a steam roller when she was younger (she's in her 40's) but i always thought it was aload of rubbish. am gunna phone her and find out were it happened.
Posted By: Bezzymate Re: Steam Roller on Breck Rd - 27th Nov 2011 7:15pm
Can't be more than the one incident surely, it must be the same one. Let us know please,Rickie
Posted By: Rickie_Robbo Re: Steam Roller on Breck Rd - 27th Nov 2011 7:37pm
oshocked there was more than 1 incident. the 1 my mates mum seen was at the bottom of argyle street and it was when she was 9. she in her late 40's now. she said even though she was young she still remembers it clearly and what she said happened was just awful. frown.
Posted By: Bezzymate Re: Steam Roller on Breck Rd - 27th Nov 2011 7:44pm
Oh dear! They don't go very fast so you would think one would br able to get out of the way! Thanks for the info Rickie.
Posted By: Rickie_Robbo Re: Steam Roller on Breck Rd - 27th Nov 2011 8:00pm
appaerntly she had no chance. she had her back to it and appaerntly it werent even moving very fast but by time she had realised it was too late. she said she had no chance to do anything
Posted By: Rickie_Robbo Re: Steam Roller on Breck Rd - 27th Nov 2011 8:01pm
oh yea and also there was no driver. it had rolled itself down argyle
Posted By: Martin1943 Re: Steam Roller on Breck Rd - 28th Nov 2011 8:45am
I remember coming home from the Floral Pavilion one night at about 11.30pm, in 1958, I should think it was. It had been snowing since about 4.30pm. The bus driver was having to drive with his windscreen up because the wipers couldn't cope. (real dedication in those days).
As we came down St hilarys Brow the bus started sliding on the fresh snow. It went sideways across the junction with Breck Road and finished across Wallacre Road.
The Driver gave up at that and we walked the rest of the way.
It was a close call!
I was in a Pantomine called "Land of the Christmas Stocking" Does anyone else remember?
Posted By: Snickas Re: Steam Roller on Breck Rd - 28th Nov 2011 9:12am
sounds like its a regular occurrence for here then!!!

this is the bus that nearly ended up in our garden in 2010.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: polo_phil Re: Steam Roller on Breck Rd - 28th Nov 2011 9:56am
I don't think there is anything wrong with the St Hilary Brow roundabout... a bit on the small side for a lot of the large vehicles about today and not ideal in the ice (but what road is).
It's not the roundabout's fault some people are incompetent fools...
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Steam Roller on Breck Rd - 28th Nov 2011 10:31am
Originally Posted by Rickie_Robbo
oshocked there was more than 1 incident. the 1 my mates mum seen was at the bottom of argyle street and it was when she was 9. she in her late 40's now. she said even though she was young she still remembers it clearly and what she said happened was just awful. frown.

Don't think there's any slope in Argyle st, could it have been Argyle Street South

Attached picture S1054364 [1600x1200].JPG
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Steam Roller on Breck Rd - 28th Nov 2011 2:11pm
Originally Posted by Bezzymate
I think the crash that you are refering to was a car. The 'steam roller' crash that I am refering to happend when I was little (yonks ago!) or even earlier.
Originally Posted by _Ste_

Thanks bezzy, yes it was the steam roller accident i was asking about, very shocking.
Posted By: Spellbinder Re: Steam Roller on Breck Rd - 28th Nov 2011 2:56pm
I don't know what it is about reported accidents involving pedestrians being run over by steamrollers in Birkenhead but there's maybe something strange going on.

My mother (who would be 97 if she were still with us)used to tell us about an incident she clearly witnessed and remembered when she was a girl in which another girl was run over by a steamroller on New Chester Road near its junction with St Pauls Road.

© Wirral-Wikiwirral