Forums
Posted By: Rosalie Byerley st. Wallasey - 20th Nov 2011 5:45am
Looking for a photo of Byerley st. which no longer exists. My grandparents, Mary (nee Long) & James Clare lived there until 1926 when they emigrated to Australia with their children & Mary's brother Frank. I would appreciate any information.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Byerley st. Wallasey - 21st Nov 2011 6:53pm
Byerley Street still exists but nothing like the length it was.

Dr. Isaac Byerley
1813-1897

Wallasey Leading Medical Figure

Isaac Byerley was born on the Isle of Wight in 1813 and came to Cheshire in c1832, and trained as a doctor in Liverpool, Dublin and London. Byerley set up his practice in Upton and by the 1840's was an Honourary Surgeon to the Workhouses at Upton as well as being made 'Fellow of the Linnean Society' in 1854. In that same year Byerley moved his practice to Seacombe as well as publishing a book called 'The Fauna of Liverpool'. This book describes visits to such places as Hilbre Island and Hoylake, to inspect the nets of the fishermen. The expeditions brought to light several specimens which were supposed not to exist in the neighbourhood and Mr. Byerley was obviously delighted to report on these. His love of natural history is evident in his introduction to the book:

Strong prejudice has often to be conquered before many can be influenced to touch what they deem 'the unclean thing' and examine the beauty that is hidden under a repulsive exterior.

Mr. Byerley lived at Myrtle Cottage in Victoria Road (now Borough Road). He was married to Ann Nancy Newton (b.1810) in Liverpool and they had six children - Isabella, Robert, Sarah, Matilda, Miriam and Ada. The cottage was described in The Rise and Progress of Wallasey:

In the garden was a bowling green and well-stocked pond around which were arranged slabs of sandstone, with the prints of huge extinct Saurian animals, brought from Storeton Quarries.

Mr. Byerley took an interest in local matters from the beginning of his time in Seacombe. He is noted for being present at Wallasey Health Committee meetings in the late 1850s and early 1860s. He combined work as a Poor Law Medical Officer with private practice, a common arrangement in those days.

Mr. Byerley was appointed as the first Medical Officer of Health in Wallasey in 1873 and he held the post until 1881. He had a long association with the Seacombe Cottage Hospital, from Visiting Surgeon to Honourary Consulting Surgeon on his retirement from active practice. A street was named after him in 1880. Byerley Street, off Borough Road in Seacombe, still exists today. His death, on 20th June 1897, at the age of 84 was recorded in Seacombe Cottage Hospital minutes of that year.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Byerley st. Wallasey - 21st Nov 2011 7:53pm
Lovely.
Posted By: Rosalie Re: Byerley st. Wallasey - 21st Nov 2011 8:36pm
Thank you so much, I will add this information to my family documents. I visited Wallasey in 2000, but unfortunately there are no houses left in the little bit of street. Thanks again & best wishes from Rosalie.
Posted By: wooltonian Re: Byerley st. Wallasey - 22nd Nov 2011 10:46pm
I lived in byerley st from 1963 till 1979.The houses were demolished around 1980 which made them 100 years old.They were still habitable except they had no bathroom or central heating and you had go to guinea gap for a bath.
Posted By: Rosalie Re: Byerley st. Wallasey - 23rd Nov 2011 6:00am
Dad ( Harry Clare)was born at 39 Byerley St. James Clare's parents John & Emily lived at No. 47. Dad described the houses as 2 up 2 down. No photos, I guess? Thanks for your help.

© Wirral-Wikiwirral