Forums
Posted By: emmski Does Wilkinson Street Still exist? - 13th Nov 2011 4:01pm
Hi,
My recent research has given me the address of 91 Wilkinson Street Birkenhead for an ancestors address in 1918. Google maps indicates to Oxton Road when I search for Wilkinson, but is doesn't actually show it on the map. Does anyone know if it still exists today , or has it been renamed? I did an address search on Find my past for the 1911 census but it only went up to the 30's so guess it was extended later on. Thanks in advance.

Emma
Posted By: bert1 Re: Does Wilkinson Street Still exist? - 13th Nov 2011 4:19pm
About 1970 street map, I think its possibly a part of industrial units. You can google now and get your area.

Attached picture wilk.JPG
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Does Wilkinson Street Still exist? - 13th Nov 2011 4:32pm
I don't think the number you have is right
I hope these help
1916 street directory and 1889 and 1954 maps

Attached picture wilkinson st.jpg
Attached picture wilkinson st2 .jpg
Attached picture wilkinson st 1889 map.jpg
Attached picture wilkinson st 1954 map.jpg
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Does Wilkinson Street Still exist? - 13th Nov 2011 4:36pm
Funnily enough, part of it does sort of exist ...

(But 91 never existed, perhaps another Wilkinson St?)

Attached picture wilkinsonSt.jpg
Posted By: emmski Re: Does Wilkinson Street Still exist? - 13th Nov 2011 7:03pm
Thank you everyone. Having looked again the Marriage certificate it seems I confused a 9 for a 2 , the address was in fact 21 Wilkinson Street. It was your street directory , Derek that made me realise, Mary Ellen Dodd is listed at 21 , and it was a William Dodd that married in 1918, so thank you , you may have also given me the name of William's first wife , which I had been unsucessful in finding thus far!!Thanks again

Emma
© Wirral-Wikiwirral