Forums
Posted By: BennyBoy Shaftesbury Boys Club - 17th Oct 2011 10:14pm
Hi. I am after some information on this boys club. I was wondering whether anyone had any information on it and its history?

I recently learnt that my mother in laws grandad, who was called Francis Gratton and his nickname was Ianto. He was, according to my mother in law, not one of the founders in name, but definately heavily involved with the set up of the boys club.

Would be very interested if there was any information about this!

Thanks in advance
Posted By: paranoidballoon Re: Shaftesbury Boys Club - 17th Oct 2011 10:33pm
Hi BennyBoy www.shaftesburyouthclub.org.uk/about/history/
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Shaftesbury Boys Club - 17th Oct 2011 10:40pm
bert1 has a book about the Shafts when it was the juniors entrance in Jackson st and the seniors entrance in Thomas st.
It is now split up, one part being the House of Pain and the other what used to be the Atmosphere club.
I'm hoping sometime to go to the House of Pain and ask if I can have a wander around it.
Posted By: Salmon Re: Shaftesbury Boys Club - 17th Oct 2011 10:41pm
http://www.shaftesburyyouthclub.org.uk/home/

Still going strong in Birkenhead,very well established club.
Posted By: Geekus Re: Shaftesbury Boys Club - 17th Oct 2011 10:55pm
There's a big event coming up in a few weeks time which may be of interest to you.

http://www.knowhere.co.uk/town/user_board/messages/3622
Posted By: micky Re: Shaftesbury Boys Club - 18th Oct 2011 8:36am
their is a book called the shaftes by C.L.BIBBY its a bout the story of the shaftesbury boys club published by the club you may want to try them and see if they still have any copies left
Posted By: bert1 Re: Shaftesbury Boys Club - 18th Oct 2011 8:56am
I don't recall any reference to the gentleman in the book.
The pic around 1910.

Attached picture sh.jpg
Attached picture sh1.jpg
Posted By: BennyBoy Re: Shaftesbury Boys Club - 18th Oct 2011 10:29am
Thats great Bert, I will contact him and find out. There is a book which mentions him, not sure how many there are in circulation. But I will get dates of his involvement, but judging by what my mother in law said, he was there when it started and was heavily involved. Would love to find something out about him and maybe even a photo.
Posted By: BennyBoy Re: Shaftesbury Boys Club - 18th Oct 2011 11:57am
Just to clarify then Bert, my mother in laws grandad would have been born around the turn of the 20th century, meaning that he would have been involved with the move to the ebenezer chapel. Does that narrow it down slightly? I will find out some more information tonight from her and see in what capacity he worked within the club
Posted By: bert1 Re: Shaftesbury Boys Club - 18th Oct 2011 12:23pm
The chapel was purchased in 1903 for £1,250. The new building was ready by 1911 (Thomas st)
Posted By: BennyBoy Re: Shaftesbury Boys Club - 18th Oct 2011 12:55pm
Ok, so that would be the time when he was involved. Just spoke with the Youth Club, and a woman is ringing me later as she is organising the renunion (125 year anniversary) as she has amassed a lot of information and history of the club. That failing, I will go to the archives as they have a variety of different documents I could look through.

You have the hardback version of the book, that is for sale on amazon for £50! Apparently there are the paperback versions for sale around birkenhead and the guy from the youth club said that there was one for sale in a military memorabilia shop in Birkenhead market?
Posted By: bert1 Re: Shaftesbury Boys Club - 18th Oct 2011 1:36pm
shocked £50, I'll hide it under the mattress then.
Posted By: BennyBoy Re: Shaftesbury Boys Club - 18th Oct 2011 6:47pm
After speaking with my mother in law, she has said that he had her father in 1931, making him too young to be involved from the beginning. We are assuming that he was involved on some sort of committee or on the board of some sort around this time and later.

Bert, before I get the book, would it be possible to see if there is any information on him from this period. I am going to the archives this week as they have a catalogue of minutes of meetings, starting in the 1930's
Posted By: bert1 Re: Shaftesbury Boys Club - 18th Oct 2011 8:07pm
Benny, I'm pretty sure he's not mentioned in the book i have, its a while since i read it but i have flashed through it again today and can find no trace of him, even so if you can get hold of a paperback copy at a reasonable price its well worth the read.
Posted By: philmch Re: Shaftesbury Boys Club - 18th Oct 2011 10:27pm
I used to go there in the early 70s (Mendip Rd). As a kid under 12 I was even allowed to do air rifle shooting in the gym. Upstairs there was a "bar" which sold soft drinks and had a pinball machine. There was also a quite enormous Scalextric rig which I never saw in action as I was told it was broken. Downstairs there was a library and a room which was designated as "quiet" and for teenagers only so that they could do their homework in peace.
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Shaftesbury Boys Club - 28th Oct 2011 2:08pm
Originally Posted by geekus
There's a big event coming up in a few weeks time which may be of interest to you.

The date is wrong, it is Thursday NOV 3rd not nov 2nd I've just phoned
Posted By: oscarpops Re: Shaftesbury Boys Club - 28th Oct 2011 10:41pm
My son plays football for shaftes under 12s all the teams had their photos taken for a display on thursday
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Shaftesbury Boys Club - 2nd Nov 2011 10:32am
Originally Posted by derekdwc
Originally Posted by geekus

The date is wrong, it is Thursday NOV 3rd not nov 2nd I've just phoned

I'm thinking of going there, anybody else
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Shaftesbury Boys Club - 4th Nov 2011 3:15pm
A good night, packed, free grub,wine and a show

Attached picture camp pic ok [1600x1200].JPG
Attached picture new club opening [1600x1200].JPG
Attached picture 1886 founded plaque [1600x1200].JPG

Description: The activities they do nowadays compared to draughts, table tennis and indoor footballand the madhouse of my time at SBC
Attached picture activities [1600x1200].JPG

Description: CLUB PRESIDENTS
Attached picture club presidents [1600x1200].JPG
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Shaftesbury Boys Club - 4th Nov 2011 3:20pm
couple more pics
I think the food was in 3 parts Victorian,1950s,present day
Nice stew didn't get round to trying the curry

Attached picture show [1600x1200].JPG
Attached picture show2 [1600x1200].JPG
Attached picture food [1600x1200].JPG
Attached picture food2 [1600x1200].JPG
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Shaftesbury Boys Club - 4th Nov 2011 3:29pm
I didn't realise that Camell Lairds workers helped to subscribe to (the buying of the land and the building of the new club?) by having money stopped out of their wages each week for it
Posted By: poodlepup Re: Shaftesbury Boys Club - 4th Nov 2011 4:42pm
How good is that,well done Camell Llairds workers!
Posted By: chriskay Re: Shaftesbury Boys Club - 4th Nov 2011 5:41pm
Originally Posted by poodlepup
How good is that,well done Camell Llairds workers!

Is that the Welsh section? think
Posted By: poodlepup Re: Shaftesbury Boys Club - 4th Nov 2011 5:47pm
Haha sorry,i can't help it,its in my genes!!
Posted By: marzie Re: Shaftesbury Boys Club - 14th Nov 2011 11:46pm
we are the members of the s b c everybody knows we know are manners how to spend are tanners we are respected wherever we may go andwhen we travel on a railway line we open our windows wide we know how to stamp our feet icilyisight down our street we our the shaftsebury boys.
Posted By: clevercookie57 Re: Shaftesbury Boys Club - 16th Nov 2011 4:33pm
i went to a few judo and kendo classes there in1969/70
Posted By: baggyuncle51 Re: Shaftesbury Boys Club - 14th Sep 2012 1:13am
I was involved in the Judo at the shafts for many years and helped neil mcadam,who was the main sensi there, also was very keen on the Kendo sessions Neil ran there
I also went for quite a few years at the mendip rd site helpng dave rogers, in the dojo,,,
and for my sins ran a fishing club myself, "my" kids winning many competitions along the way... and many years later helped instruct the youths with Joe waterhouse...
went back many moons later as a volunteer, also...
Posted By: baggyuncle51 Re: Shaftesbury Boys Club - 14th Sep 2012 1:16am
without the help and support of the many volunteers from Lairds, over many decades the Shafte would never have been the success it has been....I remember loads of the guys with fondness and am grateful for their support........
Posted By: delta6 Re: Shaftesbury Boys Club - 14th Sep 2012 7:25am
i played footy for them for 13 years from 1991 to 2004.
we had a very good side then too.
Posted By: RedLance Re: Shaftesbury Boys Club - 14th Sep 2012 12:43pm
We live in Mendip Road and my daughter does Taekwondo in the Shaftes and loves it, Mr Kelly and Mr Carr are great instructors and at £1.50 a session you can't ask for more.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral