Forums
Posted By: bert1 Road oiling - 21st Sep 2011 2:20pm
The photo below is from the now and then thread Daniel posted, why did they oil the road? I can't believe its for keeping the dust down as i have read elsewhere, water would do just a good a job and would not make a gooey mess.

Attached picture oil.jpg
Posted By: polo_phil Re: Road oiling - 21st Sep 2011 2:22pm
Was it Bernie Ecclestone's idea to make the street racing more interesting?
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Road oiling - 21st Sep 2011 2:29pm
Possibly spraying bitumen emulsion prior to covering with chippings and rolling ??
Posted By: polo_phil Re: Road oiling - 21st Sep 2011 2:32pm
That makes more sense Pinz! What year approx is this?
Posted By: bert1 Re: Road oiling - 21st Sep 2011 2:44pm
Pinz always makes sense Phil, if he's correct according to Dan's tumblr, Liverpool acquired its first roller in 1867 called The Demon Crusher, though i think that photo is well after that.
Posted By: poodlepup Re: Road oiling - 21st Sep 2011 5:19pm
Well did they really oil the roads,how strange?
Posted By: DanLongman Re: Road oiling - 21st Sep 2011 6:17pm
I believe that's what the orginal comment as to the image states from Liverpool Record Office. However in reality it may not be oil as such, but definitely some road surface liquid.
Posted By: poodlepup Re: Road oiling - 21st Sep 2011 6:28pm
Thanks Dan.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Road oiling - 21st Sep 2011 6:36pm
Indeed, thanks Dan. The thread got a bit distorted (as you saw). Some distressed gentlefolk who are only "slightly" bewildered on here !
Posted By: paranoidballoon Re: Road oiling - 21st Sep 2011 6:43pm
They still use it in the US,also known as tack coat. It is a form of light bitumen and is used to keep the dust down.
Posted By: petethebike Re: Road oiling - 21st Sep 2011 6:55pm
Tack coat is also very widely used in the UK,most often when overlaying old surfaces with new asphalt.The emulsion pump used in the photo is not too different from the ones in use today.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Road oiling - 21st Sep 2011 7:25pm
Most commonly used is "Leotak". Made by Lion Emulsions. It's a watery brown liquid when sprayed on the existing tarmac. After a few minutes the water content 'vaps off leaving black bitumen as a key for the new coat of ashalt or tarmac.

As Pete says, a handpump pressurises the barrel of emulsion and a separate worker sprays the surface. Not much changed over the years!

I bought a barrel of Leotak moons ago to spread over the driveway at home. Pour it out, brush it around, spread 1/8th to dust chippings on it, play on it with the garden roller. That surface lasted years. Only drawback.... throw everything away that was used. Bucket, watering can, brushes. My folks weren't best pleased !
Posted By: marty99fred Re: Road oiling - 22nd Sep 2011 11:45am
Many moons ago I worked as a volunteer at Liverpool RO helping catalogue the City Engineer's photo collection from which this picture probably comes. The collection includes numerous images from the late 1800s and early 1900s of roads being sprayed to keep down dust, and the captions record a variety of different proprietary compounds being used, presumably in an attempt to determine which was the most effective.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral