Forums
Posted By: BennyBoy Regal Theatre - 21st Sep 2011 2:04pm
I know there is already a thread on cinemas but I thought I could get more responses by putting it here. Does anybody have any pictures of the Regal theatre where the Tesco's on Bebginton Road is. I know that it was turned into Essoldo cinemas at some point if that helps.

Thanks in advance!
Posted By: chriskay Re: Regal Theatre - 21st Sep 2011 3:11pm
Here's one. There are more in the book "The Silver Screens of Wirral", Birkenhead and Bebington, which I can recommend.

Attached picture 2011-09-21 16-06-30_0168.jpg
Posted By: BennyBoy Re: Regal Theatre - 21st Sep 2011 3:56pm
Fantastic. Thanks for that. Ill post a before and after on here
Posted By: BennyBoy Re: Regal Theatre - 21st Sep 2011 3:59pm
Here we go:

Attached picture Old Tesco.jpg
Attached picture Regal Theatre.jpg
Posted By: masterbun Re: Regal Theatre - 21st Sep 2011 4:25pm
I remember it well. Used to go to matinees there quite often in the late 50's early 60's. I think that they used to change the programme twice a week in those days. I can't remember if they had an organ, probably did.
The archway led to the car park.
Thanks for the memnory
Posted By: Hoofhearted Re: Regal Theatre - 21st Sep 2011 5:13pm
Bob Hope!
'Thanks for the memnory'
Posted By: BennyBoy Re: Regal Theatre - 21st Sep 2011 5:42pm
Does anybody know when it was knocked down. Was it transformed straight into a Tesco?

Ive book the silver screens of the wirral off amazon as per your recommendation, im sure they will have something on it there but I thought i'd ask here first because I have to wait for it to be delivered!
Posted By: bri445 Re: Regal Theatre - 21st Sep 2011 5:59pm
Originally Posted by masterbun
I can't remember if they had an organ, probably did.

It had a Compton 'Electrone' (non-pipe) organ shortly after opening in 1938 but this went to the Winter Gardens, NB, sometime later, according to 'The Silver Screens of Wirral' book, which has a photo of it. I seem to remember a 'La Fleur' organ there post-war. It was a rebadged Hammond electronic organ, probably for the kids' matinee sing-song. Remember those?!
Posted By: masterbun Re: Regal Theatre - 22nd Sep 2011 2:03am
Vaguely. idiot
However a link to Ivor Buckingham's site Compton Electrones
offtopic
Also a picture on the same site of the Compton piper for the Plaza before installation
Posted By: bert1 Re: Regal Theatre - 22nd Sep 2011 4:56am
Looking at the Tesco Photo there's a wall to the right that a garage seems to be attached to from the first house. The wall looks to be above and beyond the call of duty, just wondering if this was part of the gable end of the original Regal building and left in place because the garage may have been built to it.

Attached picture Old_Tesco.jpg
Posted By: poodlepup Re: Regal Theatre - 22nd Sep 2011 5:28am
Good thinking Batman!
Posted By: BennyBoy Re: Regal Theatre - 22nd Sep 2011 7:02am
Heres a close up. Your right, it does look out of place. Shame the old picture doesn't stretch this far along.

If anyone has anymore pictures of the Regal, particuarly with this end of the theatre in then please post on here;

Attached picture gable cockers 2.jpg
Posted By: bert1 Re: Regal Theatre - 22nd Sep 2011 7:13am
It would be interesting to see if there was an arch on that side of the building or was the gable end that wall.
Posted By: Tatey Re: Regal Theatre - 22nd Sep 2011 7:36am
Maybe someone in the area could inquire from the house, very politely of course?
Posted By: masterbun Re: Regal Theatre - 22nd Sep 2011 8:06am
Come to think of it may have been another arch to the carpark. Its still a steep slope down there by the looks of it.
Posted By: chriskay Re: Regal Theatre - 22nd Sep 2011 8:08am
Well, Bert, you've an eye for detail.
My original scanned picture missed a section on the right, where the picture goes into the spine of the book. Here's a photo of that bit, showing that wall and the right-hand arch. That arch, as you can see, led down to Coker's nurseries as well as the car park. It's now a housing development called The Cokers

Attached picture P1000326.jpg
Posted By: bert1 Re: Regal Theatre - 22nd Sep 2011 8:21am
Thanks Chris, those buggers always put the spine of a book in the wrong place. Thought as much, the building would have looked a bit lob sided with only one arch and that takes care of the wall thats left. The small Cokers estate is behind and a nice little estate it is.
Posted By: BennyBoy Re: Regal Theatre - 22nd Sep 2011 11:02am
So, looking at the pictures below, are these the same areas?

Attached picture Gable cockers 3.png
Attached picture gable cockers 5.jpg
Posted By: bert1 Re: Regal Theatre - 22nd Sep 2011 11:13am
My guess would be the brick pillar (modern pic) is the arch.
Posted By: bri445 Re: Regal Theatre - 22nd Sep 2011 12:18pm
I'd say they are the same areas. The brick areas top left corner of the white patch are in the right proportions. The brick buttress appears to have a lighter edge where the arch was probably removed and the width reduced.
Posted By: chriskay Re: Regal Theatre - 22nd Sep 2011 12:23pm
The arch sprung from the buttress on the wall, seen in the modern pic. at right angles to the wall.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral