Forums
Posted By: Jobneeded67 Remembering Atmosphere Nightclub, Birkenhead - 11th Sep 2011 1:38am
Did anybody here go to the Atmosphere nightclub in Birkenhead in the 80's? I went a few times. I remember it used to have a very small circular dance floor, and was full of leggy women who either came in with their footballer boyfriends, or who were mainly concerned with dancing around their handbags with no intention of pulling whatsoever.

Another thing I remember is just how expensive the drinks were too, with all these fancy names.
where was It?
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Remembering Atmosphere Nightclub, Birkenhead - 11th Sep 2011 2:20am
raftl Clearly doesn`t like spending money.
Posted By: TheDr Re: Remembering Atmosphere Nightclub, Birkenhead - 11th Sep 2011 2:34am
You might want to look on HERE , seems it has it's own FaceBook group.
Posted By: cathie Re: Remembering Atmosphere Nightclub, Birkenhead - 11th Sep 2011 7:42am
I used to go in the 90's to the mosher nights on a Thursday & have to go to school next day after 3-4 hours sleep (I was 15 in 1990) it was one of my favourite places....sticky floors and all that...then they went & redecorated it so it looked mr blobby had threw up in there..totally ruined the place, after that I was more for stairways :0)
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Remembering Atmosphere Nightclub, Birkenhead - 11th Sep 2011 7:59am
Originally Posted by cathie
I used to go in the 90's to the mosher nights on a Thursday & have to go to school next day after 3-4 hours sleep (I was 15 in 1990) it was one of my favourite places....sticky floors and all that...then they went & redecorated it so it looked mr blobby had threw up in there..totally ruined the place, after that I was more for stairways :0)

Ever go the grand cathie? wink
Posted By: hoseman Re: Remembering Atmosphere Nightclub, Birkenhead - 11th Sep 2011 8:10am
Two of my moost favourite haunts mentioned here, Atmo`s and the Grand!
Grand every sat night, Atmos if we were down Birkenhell on Friday!
Posted By: cathie Re: Remembering Atmosphere Nightclub, Birkenhead - 11th Sep 2011 8:31am
No, I don't know where that is/was, I used to go the Krazyhouse though x
Posted By: Moonstar Re: Remembering Atmosphere Nightclub, Birkenhead - 11th Sep 2011 11:53am
Kraal was my teenage stamping ground. Ah the memories!
Atmosphere club was situated in Thomas Street. I think the Hex club stands there now.
Posted By: Wench Re: Remembering Atmosphere Nightclub, Birkenhead - 11th Sep 2011 3:22pm
I went to Atmosphere a few times but it wasn't my scene really. Music was crap and too many knobends who saw it as a cattle market. I was more interested in having a laugh with my mates than pulling. Same with the Pleasuredrome & Ruperts.

I was a Stairways girl - ended up working there for a fair few years. Loved the Grand as I rarely paid for any drinks because it was other Stairways staff on the bar raftl
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Remembering Atmosphere Nightclub, Birkenhead - 11th Sep 2011 4:21pm
Originally Posted by Wench
I went to Atmosphere a few times but it wasn't my scene really. Music was crap and too many knobends who saw it as a cattle market.

Like all clubs today. wink
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Remembering Atmosphere Nightclub, Birkenhead - 11th Sep 2011 7:33pm
I went when it was the Atmosphere...then Atmosphere II !!
Posted By: Wench Re: Remembering Atmosphere Nightclub, Birkenhead - 11th Sep 2011 7:35pm
I vaguely remember Jimmy's, and then a few years after that The Basement (rave club). Had some horrible nights in there, but also some corkers raftl
Posted By: Snickas Re: Remembering Atmosphere Nightclub, Birkenhead - 11th Sep 2011 8:19pm
I used to do the Grand every Fri, Sat and Sun night, did a few Wed nights as well...lord knows how i got up for college & work!?!?
[Linked Image]

I got barred from Stairways [Linked Image]

a boozy night these days and it takes me days to fully recover [Linked Image]
They tell me its gets worse once you over 40 [Linked Image]
Interested that you mentioned Jimmy's, or Sir James Club, as it was officially known. I used to go there myself with my mates on Saturdays way back in the early eighties. Unfortunately, you did get the odd knobhead in there out for trouble, but you just steered clear of idiots like that and left it to the bouncers to sort out. Uncle Dunk used to be the regular DJ in there.

Always remember the long corridor you had to walk up to pay your admission, plus the charming Demetrios family. Jimmy used to watch the night's proceedings himself from a little booth overlooking the dance floor, accompanied by various relatives and bouncers.

Only seems like yesterday I used to go there. Human League's "Here Comes The Mirror Man" used to be a very popular song in there. (Sigh) The memories . . .
Happy memories at Jimmies.You used to stick to the floor with all the spilt ale. We would go there or Stairways ( before that it was the Gallery).Went to the cheap ale nights at the drome and now and again to Atmosphere. I've even still got an old membership card for Ruperts in one of my draws. Uncle Dunc moved on to the old Girlings sports and social that turned into the Primrose club by Beb station. Gordon Shone ran it with a mate of his Johnny Atherton. We played the club with my band a few times and Gordon's son Steve was one of our guitarists. Remember being Pauline Daniels backing band at one gig even though we used to play a lot of rock stuff. Tommy White became the DJ after Uncle Dunc left.
Posted By: Wench Re: Remembering Atmosphere Nightclub, Birkenhead - 12th Sep 2011 11:09am
My 18th birthday, I had bought a dress from Richard Shops for my night out. It was a black off the shoulder "la isla bonita" dress with overlay of cerise lace raftl (it was the fashion back in the 80's).

Cut a long story short, the last place we went was Ruperts. By that time, we'd been in the Central, Promises, Miltons and I was a tad tipsy. I fell down the stairs in Ruperts, landed at the bottom on my arrse with my legs spread and my boobs had fallen out of my dress. I just sat there and said "oh shit". The nasty staff took a picture and it ended up on "the board". We didn't pay for any drinks all night though. I still have the dint in my leg. The only reason I didn't break anything was because I was bladdered raftl
Posted By: dingle Re: Remembering Atmosphere Nightclub, Birkenhead - 13th Sep 2011 7:37am
When are you going to post the piccy oshocked
Posted By: Wench Re: Remembering Atmosphere Nightclub, Birkenhead - 13th Sep 2011 7:58am
I think that went when the club did raftl They had loads on the wall - it was like an Army "pig board" raftl
Originally Posted by cathie
I used to go in the 90's to the mosher nights on a Thursday & have to go to school next day after 3-4 hours sleep (I was 15 in 1990) it was one of my favourite places....sticky floors and all that)

I went once. The bounchers allowed me and my ex in to look for my very young daughter. It was dark and no sign of her. However she had gone elsewhere. We laugh about it now, but quite frankly at the time as a parent it seemed the best action.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Remembering Atmosphere Nightclub, Birkenhead - 13th Sep 2011 10:05am
Remember when we use to get "free invites" in the mail when our birthdays were due from nighclubs? Don't think they still do that.
I remember frequenting Atmosphere when it was an errr hardcore club? *shame* also The Drome, Ruperts and Promises. And as I was only a minor I had to dress for the nines!

In hindsight I should of stayed home with my Barbie dolls!!
Posted By: Mosaic Re: Remembering Atmosphere Nightclub, Birkenhead - 14th Sep 2011 10:54am
I used to go to Atmosphere when it first opened. And the Hamilton Club for the odd band.

That's going back a bit!
I remember it - just - I was 15. My sister worked there and I went with her a couple of times. Being a leggy blonde I looked old enough to get in and dance round my handbag.
I went to the Pleasuredrome myself a few times back in the late eighties. I always remember Dave Graham was the regular DJ, and the club had a propensity to have theme nights in there (e.g. Skoolies Night, The Rocky Horror Show etc.)
Yeah, great memories. Has Uncle Dunc retired now, or is he still doing the odd bit of DJing?
I was there on opening night. They had a robotic dancer in a silver suit who bore a striking resemblance to Peter Crouch without a silver suit on scoring a goal for Liverpool or England or someone. The drinks were expensive. I had to remortgage my house to buy a bacardi and coke.
Posted By: swanny Re: Remembering Atmosphere Nightclub, Birkenhead - 23rd Sep 2011 7:59pm
I went to Atmosphere in the 80's with my friends from work, we went to The Milton first then onto Atmosphere. Tried Ruperts a few times but there was always a fight.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral