Forums
Posted By: BennyBoy Memories of Cathcart Street and school - 3rd Sep 2011 7:40pm
Hi, I was wondering whether anyone has any recollections or photographs of Cathcart street and the surrounding area.

My partners mum has been talking about Cathcart Street school and she wanted to know whether anybody remembered the 'annex' which was for year 3/4 on Eldon Street.

Also, she went to Brownies/Guides in a unit above the school.

Does anybody remember this? Her name is Lynn Gilford and she went to Cathcart Street school in the early 60's and lived in Oak/Eldon gardens
Posted By: Hedgehog Re: Memories of Cathcart Street and school - 3rd Sep 2011 8:27pm
I went to Cathcart Street from 1970 to 1973. If I remember right Mrs Smith was headmistress and followed by Mrs Denerley. I had one year at the old school and remember the move to the new school. We had to carry our chairs round to the new school. The rooms were separated by huge concertina doors floor to ceiling! I was milk monitor and had to pass the milk round the class but was sacked when the milkman was late, I was collared by a dinner lady on her way in to work and I was by the Cygnet. I don't put that job on my CV!! smile
Posted By: Mogzie Re: Memories of Cathcart Street and school - 3rd Sep 2011 8:29pm
I went to both schools, the school in Cathcart St as I started my schooling there at age 5 in 1956, [my teacher was Mr Cooper] as Mum moved us around a lot when we were younger I also went to the Cathcart St Annexe in Eldon St just before I went to Hemingford St school after failing the 11 plus that was in 1959/60. I used to live in 25 & 19 Exmouth St on different times in my life and my Maternal Grandmother had a flat in Eldon Gardens after they moved her out of 42 Exmouth St on compulsory purchase, she also had second-hand shops in Exmouth St, we used to live in the accommodation behind the shops. My nan's name was Phoebe Taylor.
Posted By: Hedgehog Re: Memories of Cathcart Street and school - 4th Sep 2011 7:42am
Was the second hand shop called Kenny's??
Posted By: BennyBoy Re: Memories of Cathcart Street and school - 4th Sep 2011 9:09am
Just to notify, Ive used my partners married title. in fact her name at the time was Lynn Gratton, not gilford. Sorry!
Posted By: DrPhil Re: Memories of Cathcart Street and school - 4th Sep 2011 4:32pm
I went to Cathcart Street from 1958 to 1966. I started in the nursery aged 3 and 3 months. i remember for one year (was it year 2?) that we had to go to the annex and the there was a male teacher there whose name I forget (was it Mr Carter? - not sure now) but he was strict but fair. I enjoyed my time there.
Posted By: cathcart Re: Memories of Cathcart Street and school - 4th Sep 2011 7:42pm
nice to hear people who went to cathcart st school.ive been trying for a while now,i went from 1952-58.there must be photos out there.
Posted By: BennyBoy Re: Memories of Cathcart Street and school - 4th Sep 2011 7:46pm
Cathcart ive pm'd you
© Wirral-Wikiwirral