Forums
Posted By: pixie89 dibbinsdale petrifying well - 2nd Sep 2011 10:22am
Hi I was hoping someone could give me more info on the petrifying well and medevil chapel in dibbinsdale I have only just read out about it and love my local history but cant find much info about it also would like to know if the general public can go and find it.I would also love to hear about its background as i've heard it used to be a source of medicine in medevil times and that there was a lepar hospital close to the well.Any info would be much appreciated. thanx sam
Posted By: Geekus Re: dibbinsdale petrifying well - 2nd Sep 2011 10:32am
Do you mean St.Patrick's Well?

Try this link:

http://www.megalithic.co.uk/article.php?sid=16876 happy
Posted By: pixie89 Re: dibbinsdale petrifying well - 2nd Sep 2011 10:37am
Hi geekus thanx for the link but no its not st patricks well i've visited it many times with my daughter i've heard and spoke to dibbinsdale ranger who told me a little about the petrifying well it has alot of lime in the soil and wheb theres heavy rainfall it seeps out and turns surrounding area to stone.I found this very interesting but have not seen it for myself as yet witch is why im looking for more information.
Posted By: Geekus Re: dibbinsdale petrifying well - 2nd Sep 2011 10:43am
If you type the words - Petrifying Well Dibbinsdale - into google it brings up a local history archives site with a pdf file you can download on the History of Dibbinsdale. Loads of nice photies.

Might find what you're looking for in there.
Posted By: pixie89 Re: dibbinsdale petrifying well - 2nd Sep 2011 10:48am
i've tried that link unfortunatly it just takes me to google search page witch is why i posted on here as i have always found wikiwirral a good source for information. x
Posted By: Geekus Re: dibbinsdale petrifying well - 2nd Sep 2011 10:56am
According to the file it says:

'The Petrifying well can be found close to the Otters Tunnel. It lies hidden in woodland called Patrick's Wood. This is private land owned by Cheshire Wildlife Trust and special permission is needed to enter'.
Posted By: OxtonHill Re: dibbinsdale petrifying well - 2nd Sep 2011 11:31am
http://dibbinsdale.co.uk/park/History%20of%20Dibbinsdale.pdf

Page 25

Attached picture Page 25.jpg
Posted By: pixie89 Re: dibbinsdale petrifying well - 2nd Sep 2011 3:10pm
hi thanx for the info am sure this will sound like an amiture question but what software do i need to open this file
i only have word pad witch is no use at all :-)
Posted By: Geekus Re: dibbinsdale petrifying well - 2nd Sep 2011 3:51pm
You need an up to date version of Adobe Reader, which you should be able to download for free.

Posted By: Rhoobarb Re: dibbinsdale petrifying well - 2nd Sep 2011 9:56pm
In that link there's some picture of Spital tip, what was the tunnel for that one of the photo's was taken from.

I remember the tip but I remember it better after it shut but I don't remember a tunnel.

Attached picture tip from tunnel.jpg
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: dibbinsdale petrifying well - 2nd Sep 2011 10:08pm
Yeah, I've been trying to work that one out as well!
Posted By: Wench Re: dibbinsdale petrifying well - 2nd Sep 2011 10:33pm
Can't beat Mother Shipton's in Knaresborough I'm afraid.
Posted By: pixie89 Re: dibbinsdale petrifying well - 4th Sep 2011 11:15am
Thanks for all the info it's been very helpful.I belive the picture roobarb posted is a pic taken from otters tunnel as the post just outside of the tunnel is still there now .I never knew it used to be a tip site, seeing how beatiful the place is now u'd never have guessed it.The tunnel was built for train tracks to be laid above and was named otters tunnel after builders noticed the large numbers of otters living in and around dibbinsdale brook.
Posted By: Geekus Re: dibbinsdale petrifying well - 4th Sep 2011 12:12pm
There are a few early Ordnance Survey maps of the area on this link. You can zoom in to look at the route of the railway line etc., if you're interested:-

http://visionofbritain.org.uk/maps/...0Survey%20of%20Scotland%20First%20Series
Posted By: chriskay Re: dibbinsdale petrifying well - 4th Sep 2011 1:44pm
With reference to the railway line on that map, if you follow it to the end at Birkenhead it shows it ending exactly where Green Lane station is now. The map is dated 1840, but in September 1840 the railway company opened Grange Lane station, over 1/4 mile further on, on the other side of the inlet of Tranmere Pool. Since there is no record of a terminal station ever at Green Lane, it must mean that the map was made during the construction of the railway.
Posted By: Rhoobarb Re: dibbinsdale petrifying well - 4th Sep 2011 5:04pm
Originally Posted by sam89
Thanks for all the info it's been very helpful.I belive the picture roobarb posted is a pic taken from otters tunnel as the post just outside of the tunnel is still there now .I never knew it used to be a tip site, seeing how beatiful the place is now u'd never have guessed it.The tunnel was built for train tracks to be laid above and was named otters tunnel after builders noticed the large numbers of otters living in and around dibbinsdale brook.

That's the only one I could think of but I don't remeber the tip stretching that far back to be honest.
Posted By: Geekus Re: dibbinsdale petrifying well - 4th Sep 2011 6:05pm
Originally Posted by chriskay
With reference to the railway line on that map, if you follow it to the end at Birkenhead it shows it ending exactly where Green Lane station is now. The map is dated 1840, but in September 1840 the railway company opened Grange Lane station, over 1/4 mile further on, on the other side of the inlet of Tranmere Pool. Since there is no record of a terminal station ever at Green Lane, it must mean that the map was made during the construction of the railway.

Yes, there's quite a lot of other interesting detail on that map.

Look a bit further across between Bidston and Claughton and you'll also see the little known Flaybrick Railway which ran down towards Wallasey Pool.

Sorry for going off topic! offtopic
Posted By: pixie89 Re: dibbinsdale petrifying well - 6th Sep 2011 10:08am
Hi geekus off topic is cool with me it leads me onto new dicoveries grin
© Wirral-Wikiwirral