Forums
Posted By: webbfish Haskins/ Keighleys Toys and Sports Shops - 31st Aug 2011 10:07am
Does anyone remember the Haskins Sports shop in West Kirby , later to be taken over by Keighleys, who also had shops in Heswall and Moreton ?.
Posted By: ludwigvan Re: Haskins/ Keighleys Toys and Sports Shops - 31st Aug 2011 10:59am
Originally Posted by webbfish
Does anyone remember the Haskins Sports shop in West Kirby , later to be taken over by Keighleys, who also had shops in Heswall and Moreton ?.
Is this the one that had a sign up a few years back saying "This is the winter of our discount tents."?
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Haskins/ Keighleys Toys and Sports Shops - 31st Aug 2011 12:52pm
Moons ago there was a Haskins sports shop in Woodchurch Road, Prenton. LH side inbound. Next to Xavier Coyne's the chemist. Maybe the same Haskin family as the West Kirby one (?)

Stacked to the gunwhales with fireworks before Bonfire Night. Also used to sell magnesium ribbon - real fun could be had with that stuff ! Airfix models, balsa wood, card kits. All a kid could desire.

Posted By: webbfish Re: Haskins/ Keighleys Toys and Sports Shops - 31st Aug 2011 2:39pm
Pinzgauer, you're right, it was the same family. I worked in the West Kirby shop more or less straight from school, that was 1970. webbfish
Posted By: Historybook Re: Haskins/ Keighleys Toys and Sports Shops - 31st Aug 2011 5:49pm
I used to go to the Keighleys in Heswall when i was younger, strange though i dont remember it closing, apart from the usual model stuff i bought a knife there which i still have somewhere !.
Now i come to think of it i must have bought some fishing stuff there as well at one time !.
Posted By: hoseman Re: Haskins/ Keighleys Toys and Sports Shops - 31st Aug 2011 7:58pm
I spent half my childhood life in keighleys Moreton, i lived in Borrowdale Rd, right next to them!! bought Balsa for my scratch built planes. Usual models and paints. Action men with my Birthday dosh.
Posted By: Mike_Scott Re: Haskins/ Keighleys Toys and Sports Shops - 1st Sep 2011 6:40am
If you go back a few more years, Haskins Hoylake shop was run by Mr Haskins a professional one armed golfer who later commited suicide probably late fifties.
Posted By: Wally1 Re: Haskins/ Keighleys Toys and Sports Shops - 1st Sep 2011 4:32pm
Originally Posted by hoseman
I spent half my childhood life in keighleys Moreton, i lived in Borrowdale Rd, right next to them!! bought Balsa for my scratch built planes. Usual models and paints. Action men with my Birthday dosh.

I think that was the shop that stocked Sub Aqua equipment.
I got a few items from them in late '60s.
Posted By: hoseman Re: Haskins/ Keighleys Toys and Sports Shops - 1st Sep 2011 5:32pm
Yep, i remember the sub aqua gear too. Had the toys n stuff downstairs and the model stuff upstairs. was an alladins cave for a young un! Think i bought my first GAT gun from there too! Then it was the DIANA pistol, caus it looked like a 9mm Browning! I always had enough to spend there, but never too much!!
© Wirral-Wikiwirral