Forums
Posted By: diablo6 Craftsmans club Grange road Birkenhead - 27th Aug 2011 5:39pm
does anyone remember this club I think it was over Woolies and British Home Stores. I remember going on a Wednesday night in the early 60's?

Diane Stewart
the craftsmans club was on top of burtons and run by bill mcgee someof the artists who appeared there freddy star, vince earl the undertakers,and the renagades to name a few.
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Craftsmans club Grange road Birkenhead - 27th Aug 2011 9:44pm
I thought the larger building circled was Burtons

Attached picture Grange_Rd_1987_CRAFTSMAN.jpg
Posted By: bert1 Re: Craftsmans club Grange road Birkenhead - 27th Aug 2011 9:59pm
Haven't we been through all this before, i can't find it, thats the problem, the large building was above Timothy Whites i think, Burtons was across the gap that led down to the Masons lodge, left on the photo.
Posted By: paranoidballoon Re: Craftsmans club Grange road Birkenhead - 27th Aug 2011 10:19pm
The door was only the size of an ordinary house door which should give it away. up the stairs bar on the far end.
Posted By: bert1 Re: Craftsmans club Grange road Birkenhead - 28th Aug 2011 4:23am
Found it.

https://www.wikiwirral.co.uk/forums...sman_club_in_Grange_Road.html#Post349332
Posted By: joycejones Re: Craftsmans club Grange road Birkenhead - 28th Aug 2011 8:52am
the craftsmans was over burtons tailors in grange road as me and my husband used to go there for a change from the empress in new brighton 50 years ago

joyce
Posted By: diablo6 Re: Craftsmans club Grange road Birkenhead - 28th Aug 2011 2:54pm
memories yes it must have been 50 years ago. That sounds awful doesn't it. Yes and remember going to Empress New Brighton as well. I remember the groups and doing the latest dances. I think a few boxers used to go as well. I remember drinking a sparkling perry drink, similar to Babycham, but someone put something in it and I was out of the game for a few days. My mum went off her head.
Posted By: georgehayes Re: Craftsmans club Grange road Birkenhead - 23rd Sep 2011 8:50am
I used to go to the Craftsmans club in the late 50s before i went to sea ,i used to go to the Empress as well They were run by two brothers Billy & Jack Magee i dont know about boxers but you had to be able to look after yourself in there, my mates used to come down from the north end (the garrys )to go there, we had quite a good little team we could hold our own against anybody
What good times they were not much money but we had a great time in those clubs. We used to go to the Park Ballroom as well ,anyone remember it
Who did you sail with George? I am an x Blue Funnel A.B Mid 60's Mid 70's
Posted By: Spellbinder Re: Craftsmans club Grange road Birkenhead - 23rd Sep 2011 7:22pm
Originally Posted by diablo6
memories yes it must have been 50 years ago. That sounds awful doesn't it. Yes and remember going to Empress New Brighton as well. I remember the groups and doing the latest dances. I think a few boxers used to go as well.

Yes - Peter McCann used to go there.

Posted By: georgehayes Re: Craftsmans club Grange road Birkenhead - 25th Sep 2011 11:11am
I used to sail with New Zealand Shipping Co. I had a mate sailed with Blue Flu called Maurice Cartwright he was an engineer like myself you my have crossed paths they were a great company and your ships looked great

Posted By: FionaMagee Re: Craftsmans club Grange road Birkenhead - 30th Jul 2021 9:26am
Hi, I'm so happy to have come across this post! I am Jack Magee's granddaughter! I've been looking into his murky past and want to know everything!! I am the daughter of Jack's first son, Robert Magee (Bobby or Bob). My dad was a car thief and general tearaway, according to the newspaper articles I've found him in!

I didn't know my dad because he left when I was 3 and was tragically killed in 1978, when I was 11. I did meet Jack though. He was 71 and I was 19. I found him to be a fascinating man but he was cagey about his past which intrigued me more.

I would love to hear from anyone who knew my dad, Bobby Magee b 1940 my grandfather Jack Magee b 1916 or my uncle William (Billy). I'm a keen amateur genealogist and have even taken a DNA test.. I've connected with many family members but very few on my father's side. If anyone has any photos of my family, I would love to have a copy. Thanks for reading.
Posted By: moretonkiwi Re: Craftsmans club Grange road Birkenhead - 11th Aug 2021 1:02am
I always thought the club over M & S was called Journeymans! Last time I went was in 1968 just before coming to New Zealand - maybe my memory is playing tricks.
Posted By: FionaMagee Re: Craftsmans club Grange road Birkenhead - 10th Mar 2022 9:53am
My grandfather Jack and his brother, Billy Magee ran it in the 60's, I've been told. I'm also looking for more information about this club and The Empress ballroom in New Brighton
Posted By: mikeeb Re: Craftsmans club Grange road Birkenhead - 12th Mar 2022 12:35pm
Originally Posted by FionaMagee
My grandfather Jack and his brother, Billy Magee ran it in the 60's, I've been told. I'm also looking for more information about this club and The Empress ballroom in New Brighton

https://www.wikiwirral.co.uk/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/1017860/1.html
© Wirral-Wikiwirral