Forums
Posted By: Roslynmuse Burton manor - 15th Aug 2011 3:59pm
Just discovered that Burton manor has closed down.

Anyone have any information about this, and any history/photos of the building and grounds?
Posted By: free_spirit Re: Burton manor - 15th Aug 2011 4:36pm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burton_Manor

any good for you?
Posted By: Roslynmuse Re: Burton manor - 15th Aug 2011 4:59pm
Originally Posted by free_spirit

Thanks!
Posted By: Historybook Re: Burton manor - 15th Aug 2011 6:10pm
I think Burton manor was used by the army during the second world war, but i can't remember in what capacity !.
Posted By: Roslynmuse Re: Burton manor - 15th Aug 2011 6:52pm
Originally Posted by Historybook
I think Burton manor was used by the army during the second world war, but i can't remember in what capacity !.

A lot of those buildings were used as convalescent homes - there's one in Yorkshire near Ripon called Grantley Hall that was too.
Posted By: uptoncx Re: Burton manor - 15th Aug 2011 8:27pm

Burton Manor came into existence in 1903 when Henry Neville Gladstone had an earlier house, called Burton Hall, enlarged and remodelled into Burton Manor.

Mr Gladstone had bought the hall and estate for £80,000, he was the third son of W E Gladstone, the Liberal Prime Minister. Their money had been made in the negro slave trade and their coat of arms, which is still over the main entrance, contains a severed negro's head dripping blood.

Burton Hall had been built in 1805 by Richard Congreve in what had previously been fields and cottage gardens. The hall was fairly small as country mansions go and was built of brick in an 'L' shape.

[Linked Image]
Burton Hall (1898)

[Linked Image]
Burton Hall Drawing Room

[Linked Image]
Burton Hall Dining Room

The Gladstones had the old hall encased in sandstone, and the other two sides of the 'L' where completed, forming a square with a courtyard in the centre. On the east side a complex of buildings containing kitchens and servants' quarters was built. It is said that Mrs Gladstone was the driving force behind the upgrading of the 'Hall' to the 'Manor'.

[Linked Image]
Burton Manor (1904)

[Linked Image]
Burton Manor Drawing Room

[Linked Image]
Burton Manor Music Room

Burton was still an estate village at this time, all but one of the villagers worked in or for the estate.

In December 1924, the whole of the Burton estate, including the Manor, was sold to Boult, Son and Maples, a firm of Liverpool estate agents, for £74,000. The estate was broken up and sold off in lots at auction. The Manor itself was difficult to sell, it was bought by Mr Alfred Joynson who never lived in it, instead he let it off to various groups of people.

In 1948 Liverpool City Council, on behalf of a consortium of Local Authorities, took over ownership of the Manor as a residential college of adult education.

[Linked Image]
Burton Manor (1970)

Posted By: bri445 Re: Burton manor - 16th Aug 2011 9:09am
I did a safety course there from English Electric in the early '50s. A peacefull rest from the factory chaos!
Posted By: Roslynmuse Re: Burton manor - 16th Aug 2011 10:21am
Thanks everyone! Great photos too.
Posted By: w10694 Re: Burton manor - 22nd Aug 2011 9:52pm
There is an old Ice House in the grounds somewhere (used for storing winter ice through to summer, usually underground.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral