Forums
Posted By: sean99789 post about the animal house storeton road - 14th Aug 2011 10:01am
ok so i remember seeing animals when i was a child at storeton road a house behind the halfway house pub im 100% sure i have seen it on here too can anyone remember the post or have an idea where to look think it was something to do with chester zoo many thanks in advance smile
Posted By: spannerman Re: post about the animal house storeton road - 14th Aug 2011 10:06am
It was an animal quarantine, saw a giraffe there once!
Posted By: sean99789 Re: post about the animal house storeton road - 14th Aug 2011 10:10am
yeah thanks spannerman im currently on page 32 of who remembers thread
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: post about the animal house storeton road - 14th Aug 2011 10:13am
When I saw the giraffe I was on the platform of bus as a conductor. I used to drink quite a lot in them days, saw the giraffe, rubbed my eyes, looked again an it had gone. I didn'teven know the place existed. Swore to give up the booze there and then, until my driver told me that it was Chester Zoo's quarantine building. It did put the wind up my kilt though.
Posted By: chris58 Re: post about the animal house storeton road - 14th Aug 2011 9:14pm
I got off the number 11 bus once coming home from school and saw a giraffe through the mesh window!
Posted By: Sallybear Re: post about the animal house storeton road - 15th Aug 2011 6:37am
I remember this place, didn't realise it was just for Chester Zoo but remember it being a quarantine place, it's where that new build is now, with the blue tiles on the front.

I found this info on a zoo history web site:

The building of a noc- turnal house and quarantine premises in Birkenhead near the port of Liverpool in 1957 allowed the zoo to directly import stock from Africa, including kudu, lechwe, eland, and warthog.

Pic of the place before it was demolished:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ianlegge/366321530/
Posted By: sean99789 Re: post about the animal house storeton road - 15th Aug 2011 6:50am
Ahhh Sally not the place in that pic as that was next door and it's not been demolished just turned into a house now that was Norman ellis's yard who did house removals
Posted By: Bluesman Re: post about the animal house storeton road - 15th Aug 2011 9:50pm
Yeah I used to live 5 minutes walk from there and there was deffo a giraffe there in the mid to late 80's
© Wirral-Wikiwirral