Forums
Posted By: stephano pensby road heswall - 5th Aug 2011 9:36pm
Hi can anyone help me with the history of pensby road heswall. Specifically 11 pensby road (rosebrae court) we are interested to know what was once on the site where our flat now stands.
Thanks in advance for any info !! steve
Posted By: MissGuided Re: pensby road heswall - 5th Aug 2011 11:18pm
Looking on old maps, it would appear that before the flats it was always just a field/undeveloped land. It may be a reference to the name of that field, but the site I usually look up tithe maps on is down at the moment frown You can check it at here when its back up (assuming it hasn't died off due to council cuts lol)
Posted By: stephano Re: pensby road heswall - 6th Aug 2011 11:15am
Hey thats brilliant thanks for your help smile
Posted By: geome Re: pensby road heswall - 6th Aug 2011 12:16pm
I think Rosebrae Nursery (Garden) used to occupy that site
Posted By: Paintboffin Re: pensby road heswall - 7th Aug 2011 9:52am
Originally Posted by geome
I think Rosebrae Nursery (Garden) used to occupy that site

I remember a Rosebrae nursey on Pensby road next to Sandy lane but that was in Heswall.
It is now block of apartments/flats built on the land.

I can see the Pensby hotel from my lounge window but don't know of any earlier history other than it was built about the same time and style as the Arrow park hotel.

PB
Posted By: MissGuided Re: pensby road heswall - 7th Aug 2011 9:55am
Think this is the same place we're talking about paintboffin.
Posted By: Paintboffin Re: pensby road heswall - 7th Aug 2011 11:43am
Originally Posted by MissGuided
Think this is the same place we're talking about paintboffin.

I have a partial map of 1899 showing the area as fields between Sandy land and Whitfield lane and where the Harvest mouse is situated this plot used to be a haulage firm called IIRC Roebucks.

PB
Posted By: Historybook Re: pensby road heswall - 8th Aug 2011 6:03pm
Not quite the area you where after but i think i have a picture of a steam waggon taken at the Downham/pensby road junction, but i cant be sure where the pic is at the moment !!.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral