Forums
Posted By: Paintboffin Laird street bus depot information - 5th Aug 2011 5:58pm
Hi I have recently come across this Forum and find some of the info quite fascinating.

My question is, has anyone here worked in Laird street bus depot between 1969 75?

Pboffin
Posted By: Geekus Re: Laird street bus depot information - 5th Aug 2011 6:26pm
Hi Paintboffin, and welcome to wiki.

Depending upon what kind of info you are after, it might be worth you putting this request on the history section under the information requests thread.
Posted By: hoseman Re: Laird street bus depot information - 5th Aug 2011 7:21pm
Definatly put this under the HISTORY section.
I worked there in the late 90`s, just as Arriva took over i got out!
Posted By: Geekus Re: Laird street bus depot information - 5th Aug 2011 9:14pm
Just found this link which may be useful. thumbsup

Clicky, click:- http://www.petergould.co.uk/local_transport_history/fleetlists/birkenhead1.htm

It's just general history and details of the bus fleet, but I'm sure that others on here will know more about some of the people who worked there.
Posted By: Paintboffin Re: Laird street bus depot information - 5th Aug 2011 9:35pm
Thanks for moving the thread to the correct place.

I was looking for info on people who worked at the depot during that time.

Thanks for the link too, interesting reading.

I was an apprentice coach painter from 1969 to 1973 but moved to Seaview road bus depot in Liscard about 1972ish when the paint shop was transferred, perhaps someone here also worked at either depots during that time period until about 1980.

PB
Posted By: Touchstone Re: Laird street bus depot information - 5th Aug 2011 10:23pm
Some of the drivers at Laird Street have been there quite a while. There are probably still at least a handful who worked there between 1969 and 1973. There are certainly a number who were there about 1980.
Posted By: hoseman Re: Laird street bus depot information - 6th Aug 2011 6:43am
Still see some of the long termers there now, christ, how long can ypu get up in the morning to be abused by the public for buttons?? And thoes split shifts....forget it!
Posted By: Touchstone Re: Laird street bus depot information - 6th Aug 2011 7:29am
There are a handful from the days of Birkehead corporation. There are quite a few from the Merseytavel/MPTE era. They all seem to think it was much better back in the day. Nicer passengers, longer turnaround times, better management and less blatant profiteering.
And most importantly, more bus bunnies!
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Laird street bus depot information - 6th Aug 2011 10:09am
I worked there in 1970-ish to 73-74-ish. Started as a conductor then went driving, with a mate, before going on to 1 man driver. Enjoyed the job but fell foul of authority helping a mate out and got the boot, my own fault. Also worked at New Ferry Depot. Started with the Corpy then it went MPTE. My recollection of that time was talking to a boss who told me that he was doing the same job as before but now had 5 people above him over in Liverpool.
Posted By: wellie111 Re: Laird street bus depot information - 6th Aug 2011 10:42am
hi my dad worked in laird st from late 50s to 80s we lived in newbrighton then in the 50s and ican remember him alot of the time walking to work in the early hours when he was driver for the staff bus which picked all the early laird st workers up saturday morning was my treat day i would get to go to the staff canteen and have a good feed it was better in those dayswhen my dad was driving a bus in newbrighton he would pick me up and take me down to the bus terminal in NB then drop me off on the way back icould go on forever about them days but ill stop now by the way my dads name was peter walker his final job was inspector {his real name was patrick walker but thats another story by for now
Posted By: chriskay Re: Laird street bus depot information - 6th Aug 2011 11:38am
Hi, wellie111; If you're going to write some more, a bit of punctuation would make it easier to read.
Posted By: Hoofhearted Re: Laird street bus depot information - 6th Aug 2011 11:58am
Hi Wellie111, I worked with your dad at Laird St, I was there from 1969-1990 and remember him well, nice guy.
Posted By: Worzel Re: Laird street bus depot information - 6th Aug 2011 9:52pm
Wasnt it better in the old days for many reasons, not just those mentioned .... yes the bunnies seemes better than any you see now, or was it just because we were younger?.

I did nearly 20 years driving buses at many locations, I finished back up at Laird St, but after the 'A' word company had taken over and how things have changed. I still work in public transport but doing something much different now.

Seaview Rd was a great garage, many people I knew/know worked there, but I never got the chance to,.
Posted By: Paintboffin Re: Laird street bus depot information - 7th Aug 2011 9:25am
Originally Posted by Touchstone
Some of the drivers at Laird Street have been there quite a while. There are probably still at least a handful who worked there between 1969 and 1973. There are certainly a number who were there about 1980.

I didn't know many drivers who were at the time called "road staff", people who worked in the depths of the depot were called "garage staff".
It is the garage staff I wish to find information on if possible.

My name is Stephen Hull and I worked in the paint shop.
It is very possible that a lot of people from that time are now dead but I can remember many names of former garage colleagues.

Posted By: Paintboffin Re: Laird street bus depot information - 7th Aug 2011 9:28am
Originally Posted by panther

Seaview Rd was a great garage, many people I knew/know worked there, but I never got the chance to,.

I left Seaview road in 1980 and knew many garage staff at that time but not many road staff.

Posted By: Paintboffin Re: Laird street bus depot information - 7th Aug 2011 9:30am
Originally Posted by Touchstone

I might name a few if know one objects.

Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Laird street bus depot information - 7th Aug 2011 2:28pm
Maybe you should've said that you only wanted to talk to "garage staff" and not "road staff" and it would have saved us bothering with any reminisces.Sorry to have taken your time.
Posted By: Paintboffin Re: Laird street bus depot information - 7th Aug 2011 3:26pm
Perhaps I should have made that a bit clearer. I did know some of the road staff at Laird street but didn't know many of their names, but at the time I knew *all* the garage staff and their names.

As for Seaview road, I also got to know all the garage staff mainly because I worked with them directly but knew only a few road staff.

PB
Posted By: paranoidballoon Re: Laird street bus depot information - 7th Aug 2011 3:54pm
You must know Ebby or you could be him, haven't seen him for a while.
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Laird street bus depot information - 7th Aug 2011 5:00pm
the ones I remember with clarity are Oscar the inspector, the Leprechaun the chief inspector. Foxy, my driver. KK the shop steward at NF and lots of other faces whose names I've forgotten, e.g. the German clippy from the Woodchurch and a load of others who were really good mates and whose companionship I enjoyed. There's another one but I see him now and again and will let him remain anonymous. Happy days indeed.

oldman
Posted By: cathcart Re: Laird street bus depot information - 7th Aug 2011 5:09pm
what was the shade of the paint for the blue and creams
Posted By: masterbun Re: Laird street bus depot information - 7th Aug 2011 7:04pm
Birkenhead Blue ?
I can't recall seeing that shade elsewhere.
Posted By: Paintboffin Re: Laird street bus depot information - 7th Aug 2011 11:02pm
Originally Posted by paranoidballoon
You must know Ebby or you could be him, haven't seen him for a while.

Can't recall someone called Ebby, sorry.

My name is Stephen Hull, my foreman was Charles Bantom.
Garage engineer was J or G Colvin, I think.

PB
Posted By: Paintboffin Re: Laird street bus depot information - 7th Aug 2011 11:09pm
Originally Posted by cathcart

IIRC Birkenhead colours, Marine blue and Cream.
Wallasey colours, Sea green and Cream.
The MPTE colours, Verona green and Jonquil.

Liverpool sprayed their vehicles,
Birkenhead and Wallasey coach painted their vehicles.
The paint used was always Tekaloid synthetic enamel.

PB
Posted By: Paintboffin Re: Laird street bus depot information - 7th Aug 2011 11:18pm
Originally Posted by masterbun
Birkenhead Blue ?
I can't recall seeing that shade elsewhere.

I think it was called Birkenhead Blue, although ISTR it being similar to Marine Blue.
Posted By: cathcart Re: Laird street bus depot information - 9th Aug 2011 2:04pm
thanks paintboffin my mates made me a model of the laird street garage. i want to paint the front doors.
Posted By: Paintboffin Re: Laird street bus depot information - 12th Aug 2011 7:16pm
Anyone remember from Laird street the bus driver Eric Hughes, and another driver called pinky comes to mind?

Any names of the shunters or canteen staff?

PB
Posted By: SoundLad Re: Laird street bus depot information - 16th Aug 2011 1:06pm
I have two uncles who work at laird street one now is retired.. The name john smith ring abell he worked in the shed he wasnt a driver ?? Also Dave Calveley whos been a driver for a longggggg time smile..
Posted By: Paintboffin Re: Laird street bus depot information - 19th Aug 2011 7:23pm
Originally Posted by SoundLad
I have two uncles who work at laird street one now is retired.. The name john smith ring abell he worked in the shed he wasnt a driver ?? Also Dave Calveley whos been a driver for a longggggg time smile..

John Smith doesn't ring a bell, which department did he work in?

PB
Posted By: cathcart Re: Laird street bus depot information - 21st Aug 2011 6:19pm
iff he didnt ring the bell ,he must have been a driver.
Posted By: Tatey Re: Laird street bus depot information - 22nd Aug 2011 6:57am
iff he didnt ring the bell ,he must have been a driver.

Boom Boom!
Posted By: Worzel Re: Laird street bus depot information - 15th Oct 2011 9:20pm
Peacock Blue

Originally Posted by paintboffin

IIRC Birkenhead colours, Marine blue and Cream.
Wallasey colours, Sea green and Cream.
The MPTE colours, Verona green and Jonquil.

Liverpool sprayed their vehicles,
Birkenhead and Wallasey coach painted their vehicles.
The paint used was always Tekaloid synthetic enamel.

PB
© Wirral-Wikiwirral