Forums
Posted By: Anonymous Information on Bidston / Wallasey paintings - 22nd Jul 2011 6:47am
Hello boys and girls of wikiland. I have questions... I was sent the following files by means of electronic mail. They are paintings of the Bidston / Wallasey area and the sender would like to know any information on them...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Thank you kind people of wikiland. May your camels walk long.
Posted By: Tatey Re: Information on Bidston / Wallasey paintings - 22nd Jul 2011 7:10am
They look a bit like the work of Harold Hopps apart from the fact they are not signed. I don't see them in his book "Hopps around Wallasey"
Picture # 2 could be either N.B. pier or Eggy I suppose?

My camel has been recently bricked thank you & will walk far!
Posted By: Helles Re: Information on Bidston / Wallasey paintings - 22nd Jul 2011 11:37am
That one has to be New Brighton because it is a pier in the background and not just a ferry. Probably that little gateway is the old quarry where the railway eventually went when Tommy Mann had it.

If the owner is giving them away I will have them. laugh
Yes, #2 is the easy one, deffo New Brighton. Could the white building be the Lifeboat Station built in the 1860s? Looking at the perspective I think that the arched gateway was probably private access to the shore from one of the big houses, possibly Rock Point. The painting must have been done before the 1890s when that stretch of the prom was built, which may be a bit early for Harold Hopps.

Attached picture NB Pier.jpg
Posted By: genlock Re: Information on Bidston / Wallasey paintings - 23rd Jul 2011 3:47pm
The picture No2 could be of Mother Redcaps, I visited the site in the 70s when it had been demolished with the kids and a metal detector.

While the kids ran about the rubble site while I searched for any items left in the ground,but only found lots of silver paper and pull can tabs, however there was a large area near the back of the gate which seemed to be Iron which was a few inches below the ground could of been an exit from a tunnel or something.

I hope you have more luck with the other pic's

Posted By: bri445 Re: Information on Bidston / Wallasey paintings - 23rd Jul 2011 8:09pm
Pics 3,4 and 5 join together nicely.

Attached picture bidston.jpg
Posted By: granny Re: Information on Bidston / Wallasey paintings - 23rd Jul 2011 10:53pm
3,4 and 5 do make a lovely picture which belongs to myself. Just one of many.Do you think the windmill in the background is just poetic license or not. I wonder if no.1 could be Tam O'shanters, although not the view I have normally seen on pictures.
They are not Harold Hopps. I have a signature and researching who it could be. They were painted around 1890-1900.
Thanks for posting these on my behalf Paul and thanks to those offering information. All suggestions are very welcome.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral